About This File
Sacred 2 Enhanced Spells Mod v. 1.4 by Flix
This evolved from my personal mod for playing Sacred 2. I decided there were enough improvements and interesting changes to share it with adventurous players. The mod is a combination of fixes, redesigned balance, and cosmetic changes. Some Combat Arts were also replaced with brand new ones.
Currently supported languages: English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Spanish (Spanish patch requires download of additional patch file).
The recommended way to install this mod is to use the Generic Mod Enabler (GME). This mod is already set up to be compatible with the GME. Get it at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml
Simply download the GME and install it to your Sacred 2 root folder. A typical example of the installation folder is C:\Sacred 2 Gold. After running the GME once, it will make a folder called "MODS" there.
Then just place the "Enhanced Spells Mod 1.4" folder into the "MODS" folder, and use the GME to enable it. The GME will back up your clean files and will allow to you to easily uninstall/reinstall the mod as you wish.
"Challenge Mode" patch should be installed the same way, after installing the main mod.
As of v1.3, this mod has built in compatibility with Elite Mounts. No compatibility patches are necessary. Be sure to install Elite Mounts FIRST, then install Enhanced Spells AFTER.
Other mods that alter the same files are definitely not compatible (Llama's CM Patch mod, Age of Heroes, Survival Mod, etc.). If you prefer Przemba's Visual Mods over my own portraits, install them after Enhanced Spells. Nude Mod 2016 is not compatible but check that mod for a patch.
Because of the way Sacred 2 handles spells, old characters can be safely loaded into Enhanced Spells. Their Combat Arts will be changed, however the change is not permanent. If you load an old character into the mod, but then decide to uninstall the mod, you can continue playing the character with their original Combat Arts. Likewise, new characters started under the mod will simply revert to the standard Combat Arts if the mod is uninstalled. For the best experience, it is recommended to start a new character when playing Sacred 2 Enhanced Spells, unless you just feel like experimenting or using the Sacred 2 Character Editor to respec your Combat Arts.
General Changes and Fixes:
For the most part, weaker Combat Arts received boosts where appropriate. There is not much nerfing going on in the mod. However this is not intended as a cheat mod where you one-shot everything. Balance is still important.
All weapon-based combat arts, hybrid combat arts, and almost all offensive spells now hurl enemies when they die. This is part of an effort to restore the older, more interesting death animation for most enemies that involves the corpses flying back rather than just dropping dead. This is more dynamic, exciting, and similar to other action RPG's. It should feel like hard hits make a major impact, rather than having the enemies simply falling down limp on the spot. Normal weapon hits will still make enemies drop dead.
Most temporary buffs last much longer, but have longer cooldowns as well. There are fewer modifications that increase temporary buff duration and reduce cooldowns, but in most cases it will still be possible for the duration to catch up to the cooldown at high levels.
Every class now has at least one summoning combat art, and most have two or three. Some are temporary and others are buffs.
All Combat Arts, old and new, got updated icons. The original icons are ok with their bright colors and simple, bold lines, but I found them too cartoon-like and often kind of "cute." Furthermore a lot of them got reused from character to character. These new Combat Arts are designed to be less monochrome and "icon-like" and more realistic, textured, and unique.
All tooltips were revised and updated with uniform terms and more accurate descriptions of what the combat arts and modifications do. There were a fair amount of vague, confusing, or just plain wrong terms used in the old tooltips. For just one example, there should be no more cases of "Regeneration Time" and "Cooldown" being used interchangeably. Also notably all Energy Shields now use the same terminology for the same properties, and the terms match up better with the item modifiers that affect them.
Tornado and Gust of Wind are no longer called "Whirlwind" and "Flurry" on their runes and in the Rune Exchange Screen.
For detailed list of changes to combat arts, and for pictures and videos, and development info (and bug reporting), visit this thread:
- Not all properties of a Combat Art update dynamically in the CA tooltip text. This is a pre-existing issue in the vanilla game as well. However rest assured that all properties of Combat Arts should be clearly described in the CA description text and will appear (if applicable) in the Sigma bonus overview and/or character overview.
- Sonic Vortex is missing the visual effect when mounted. No known solution.
- Dragon's Wrath cannot go into a combo. No known solution.
If you find bugs, exploits, or other issues, don't forget to let me know so I can address them.
- - desm for translating the mod to French.
- - Shadowflare85 for translating the mod to German.
- - KrystianCzach243r for translating the mod to Polish.
- - Nikoleagle and LordKomar for translating the mod to Russian.
- - Deivix for translating the mod to Spanish.
- - SX255 for making the new Deathly Spears icon.
- - Luthal for helping me work out how to handle summoned minions.
- - Everyone who played the mod and posted feedback.
- - Gogoblender and Schot for hosting this mod on DarkMatters.
- - Llama for making his CM Patch Mod and showing me the way into modding Sacred 2 spells.
What's New in Version 1.4
- Enhanced Spells Changelog 1.3 >> 1.4
- Changed Dragon Mage's casting animations for Energy Blaze and Dragon's Wrath to allow for faster casting when Dual Wielding.
- Fixed bugged animations for Dragon Mage when Dual Wielding on special mount.
- Added new portrait pack + brighter player health bar.
- Added translation for Russian language.
- Added compatibility with Elite Mounts mod for all 5 supported languages.