Torchlight

I really liked the game. Great GREAT Combat Arts. The environments though were same thing over and over (and over and over) again. They were really onto something good though. And Graphics were definitely top notch.

If it were free... hmmm, interesting option here ^^

:)

gogo

Oh yeah! I still dream about my little Gremlin Gadgeteer, running around killing everything in sight with twin pistols. :) You're right about using the same environments over and over, but that was forgivable considering the upgradable options available, such as smithing, etc and especially since it was still in beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Mythos back when it was still being developed. It was a great game that had lots of potential, although I didn't really like the "Overworld" concept they came out with at the end. Made it feel a little too much like WoW. I was really sad when the mythos part of FSS was disbanded

• 3 months later...

without (a lot of) words.. I'm overwhelmed atm... good to see we will someday get some promising alternatives to sacred again.. :

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

(you can also signup for beta now, check the box in the upper-right)

http://forums.runicgames.com/index.php

(Runic Games+Torchlight forum, where some ex-blizzard and ex-flagship studios guys are...)

OH, and HECK btw... MYTHOS is back for people in US/EUROPE too..

(Hanbit did something with it, but it's been Korean ever since.. now there seems action in brining it back to where it came from)

http://www.mythos.com/

you can also re-register for a new BETA :):whip: weeeeeee! can't wait another day, want it now...

Edited by Rotluchs
... http://forums.runicgames.com/

(Runic Games+Torchlight forum, where some ex-blizzard and ex-flagship studios guys are...) ...

They will be running a progressive Beta and have said the SP version (Torchlight) will be free, just like Mythos. When Torchlight is finished I remember reading somewhere that they are thinking about doing a "different" game that will be MP.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested, they showed a trailer at PAX which states that Torchlight will be released on October 27th.

I also read that this game will only be available as a downloadable version for around $20.

Here's the link (in french) :

LINK

Here's the translation of the above link (in english) :

LINK

Max

OMG thank's for the great info, I subscribed for the beta of mythos. really looking forward to test it . ^^

I'm an old hellgate london player also so I tought the project was completely dead with flagship studios siking. :drool:

OH, and HECK btw... MYTHOS is back for people in US/EUROPE too..

(Hanbit did something with it, but it's been Korean ever since.. now there seems action in brining it back to where it came from)

http://www.mythos.com/

you can also re-register for a new BETA :bounce::D weeeeeee! can't wait another day, want it now...

Ooooooooooooooooooo...

... the SP version (Torchlight) will be free ...

Wrong! Torchlight is only single player and will sell for $19.99. Initially it will be via download only with a boxed version to become available early 2010. They will be using the income from the SP Torchlight to help fund the MMO coming out sometime in 2011.

• 1 month later...

Bought Torchlight last night & thoroughly enjoyed it. The pricing's fairly cheap (£14), the graphics are cartoony, but not too offensively so (IMO) & it runs insanely fast (~150 FPS on my pc). I've had 1 spot of lag (<10 fps) in an evening of play & that's when a handful of monsters spawned (it was like a drop chute, ~5 undead dropped down it onto the same place) & my Vanq's rebounding shot (or whatever it's called) hit all of them & reflected off the wall behind them into them again.

It's more relaxing than Sacred 2, you can just jump in & start killing stuff. Though I do really miss being able to chat with people in MP, that's my only gripe with it (well, that & I'm getting Area of Effect graphics from my rebounding shots which I don't think do Area of Effect damage).

Simple, fun, very fast/fluid, cheap. Can't wait for the MMO version.

Very cool game :P Diablo 1 all over again :blink:

I'm getting Area of Effect graphics from my rebounding shots which I don't think do Area of Effect damage)

I think it works in a similar way to Lightning Fury in D2 (amazon skill). Your shot seems to pierce a monster and split into many shots, damaging multiple enemies. Or maybe it simply chain-shots multiple monsters very quickly, hard to tell :lol:

Edited by Antitrust

Yeah, I imagine that D3 might play like this, fairly fast with slightly over-the-top gfx on skills.

Regarding the apparent Area of Effect on rebound, I know it pierces, but for each pierce I seem to get a graphical effect that's not a simple "shot-passing-through-and-bouncing-off-walls", it looks like there's Area of Effect "explosions"/other graphical effects that take place to the side (sometimes quite a bit) of the rebound shot, but I don't think I'm seeing any extra damage numbers from those graphics. It kinda reminds me of the top scrolling shooters from when I was a kid.

• 4 weeks later...

After purchasing the game, and playing it to level 26 on easy (hey still trying to get the hang of everything!) I can say: I like it. A lot.

Maybe Torchlight will get me back to pc gaming. :)

• 2 weeks later...

bought it and finished the 'story' err main 'campaign' mode with one char now, ending @ level ~30 ...

nice game for not too much money,

however I got bored by it way too far..

there just wasn't enough content (atm.. might change => mods)

and most important: I miss the online part (curious what their 'mmo' project will be like)

btw recently, there also has been a little more 'activity' around Mythos again;

few days ago the newly launched website got a new look, and a new mythos forum has opened it's doors..

http://www.mythos.com/Game/

looking forward to it, there's some brainstorming on the forum over there, and why I just remember how much enjoyed Mythos ;)

('only' second-best H&S ARPG I've ever played, but best MMO-features I've seen for this type of game-genre)

had an extensive item crafing system,

and a nice mix of instanced random maps and non-instanced consistent areas

miss my Pyromancer , Gad & Co a lot..

Edited by Rotluchs
bought it and finished the 'story' err main 'campaign' mode with one char now, ending @ level ~30 ...

Grats on finishing the main campaign Rotluchs. :D

Currently I'm at level 30 in the dungeon but I have stopped there.

I agree that it does get a bit repetitive but its sure been worth the $20.

Unfortunately for Torchlight there are just too many other games for me to play atm. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Grats on finishing the main campaign Rotluchs. :)

Currently I'm at level 30 in the dungeon but I have stopped there.

I agree that it does get a bit repetitive but its sure been worth the $20.

Unfortunately for Torchlight there are just too many other games for me to play atm. :)

The mods are out

Spiffy little "in between" game. You can drop out and in as you see fit.

Little toonish, but great fun.

Hope they can mod it for MP.

Jet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Torchlight - New Patch 1.15 available (03.02.10) :

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10985

Patch Notes

New Content

Patch 1.15 includes 5 new challenge room maps to test your bravery and wit! New players can now obtain these maps as rewards for completing various quests from Vasman in Torchlight. New challenges await in the Tomb of the Awakened, Estherian Ruins, Dwarven Fortress, Molten Prison, and Black Palace.

Content Fixes

* Root Golem Fire Breath now deals damage

* Ember Bolt had a bad value in higher levels

* Zealot lightning bolt now does damage

* Gem effects accumulating when recovering from socketed items

* Sushi Helm Recipe fix

* Added Blind Effect for modders

* New Unittype of Bossmap for modders

* Multiple spelling fixes

* Fixed a few spots where floor tiles where missing or had the wrong collision set

* Fixed various locations where monsters were getting stuck in some levels

* Limited Multi-language support added for modders ( tool coming )

* You can now attach layouts to items – for modders

* You can now have up to 50 waypoints – for modders

* Scale effect can now be permanent – for modders Soul Rend magic damage scales with strength and magic 50%, 50%

* Doom Quake, Titan Stomp dmg scales with strength 50%

* Needle Arc dot damage scales with strength and dex 100%, 100%

* Ember Lightning additionally deals 20% of weapon damage on the first chain

* Magic Weapon expertise passive does not interact strangely with other passives around level 9

* Shock Trap now scales with ranks.

* Flame Trap and Shock Trap now scale with pet mastery.

* Ember Lance no longer stops passive buffs

Code Fixes

* Option in Settings file to turn off Steam Cloud added

* Settings broke into 2 files. LocalSettings and settings

* Fixed rare teleport crash

* Fix for input latency on low FPS for skills; hotbar skills and items

* Alric Achievement now works on steam

* Fixed XP not being removed correctly after death if choosing to respond at the level start

* Passive skills now adhere to equipment requirement

* Fixed rare case when triggers wouldn’t fire correctly

* Texture overrides fixed in paper doll view

* Fixed issue with some looping skills

* Masteries now properly apply to elemental effects

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10985

• 1 month later...

If, like me, you gave up on Torchlight because TorchCam doesn't work with the latest Torchlight version then you will be pleased to hear about TorchlightCam

I knew about it cause I was involved in the beta testing of the mod. :P