81.25% pleased

Silearth

Little things bug me.

When I bought my CPU(2.6 Ghz) I did not know that the multiplier would result in my ram running at 384 Mhz instead of of 400. Would I notice the difference? Most likely....no. But it's still there, eating away at the back of my mind. I imagine my memory chips sleeping in late and showing up to work in jeans because they do not have to live up to their full potential, all the while my CPU stands there with his head held low in shame.

I'm a total freak....I know. I've been pricing new CPU's.............

But let's get back on track.

I have 4 gigs of ram and my system performs great. But it just bugs me that I am only actually getting 3.25 gigs of my ram while the rest......sleeps in late. I've been to the Microsoft site where you order the 64bit version several times, but I always change my mind before I enter my credit card info.

So who here is actually using Vista 64? Is Sacred running fine for you? Your other apps?

I already know that I can get the proper drivers for everything in my box--checked that out from the start.

My main pc and my laptop uses Vista Ultimate 64 bit and has not had problems running "32bit" applications.

The only problem I've had is using 64 bit application designed for the 64bit OS. My educated guess as to that the problem, is the lack of development and support for such applications.

Stick to normal applications and you shouldn't see a difference.

I give 2-3 years before 64bit becomes standard.

Sacred2 runs well on both systems and drivers are all supported

Note: When buying new devices . Research the availability of a 64bit driver... the store clerks aren't bright enough to tell you which device is 64bit OS ready.

Note 2: the new i7 intel cores look interesting

May laptop is running 4 gigs of ddr3

and the PC is running 6 gigs of ddr3

EDIT: Oh and from what I understand and read... avoid XP 64bit like the plague

Edited by Crunchie

I love this OS...but I also have 4 gigs of ram. Been running Vista 64 since late last year when I got the new comp and not a single problem with it since.

I even love the cool chirps and whistles it makes and... aeroglass is THE coolest looking skin/effect I've ever seen.

:4rofl:

gogo

Vista 64 Ultimate - still the oxymoron name. 8 Gb ram, everything is wonderful. My only problem -- my work does not use nor support Vista, so even though there is a client available for our VPN tunnel, and even though it works, the security patch checking doesn't and I can't do "work" with it. I have to boot my old Athlon XP1500 in Win2k. What a joke.

I recommend waiting for Windows 7. :Just_Cuz_21:

It seems more and more that Windows 7 will be what Vista should have been. Also having some better performance.

If you do want to upgrade to 64bit: go with Vista. XP64 is a no-go.

I'm going to upgrade my OS when Windows 7 is out. XP will not be supported anymore by Microsoft, and Vista just isn't really my cup of tea. Windows 7 is based on Vista's driver system, so when Windows 7 comes out, drivers WILL be ready for all your hardware that's supported in Vista (in most cases, the Vista drivers work in the W7 beta's). And I like the look and feel of the system. Look below for reviews and comparisons to Vista and XP

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Edited by Timotheus