If we don't change to windows 7, is it a big deal?

You dont have to buy it...its just meant to be what vista was meant to be. Which in my opinion its ok, nothing ground breaking, a few nice things, but then ive only used it a little...mainly cos I cant be bothered re-installing stuff to get everything else running...if youre of a mind though, you can download the release candidate for free and try it for the next year and then buy a license if you like it when the release candidates expire or just revert to vista, your choice

Ball park of how much a license will cost? Is it cheaper if you have Vista before, more expensive if you buy both at once...is this how it works?

Thank you for the info DRagon

:)

gogo

your safe "ish" until April 10 2012 when Vista Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate drops out of what Microsoft calls "mainstream" support :)

lol, I just bought the os last year...and now it's already gonna be out of date? What happened to the old days like when an OS would last for ever ...

microRipOff's getting greedy

:)

gogo

yeah things are moving a bit fast But then again I do see why Microsoft want Vista GONE as soon as possible :)

well I dont expect them to ever say it that clearly But they have already said it (in a blog here and a interview there) :)

the only way I will ever buy Vista now Is if I find it insanely cheap (and then just to have it) :whistle:

Now iam waiting for Windows 7 :sweating: <--- I hope it will be that good anyway :P

Microsoft will never admit that Vista was the failure it has become known to be.

A few reasons: Vista is not really that much of a failure. The only main flaws that the OS is unresponsive ("slow"), another one is the indexing service, which interferes with the moving of large files, making backups and other HDD-intensive operations. Contrary to what most people might think, all the complaints about missing/failing drivers are not MS's fault. A lot of companies were just very very slow on preparing their drivers.

The reasons W7 is seen as the next best thing: drivers will be up to date almost from day 1. Why? Because W7 is based on Vista, therefore most Vista drivers are perfectly compatible to W7. I've even seen reports on XP drivers working perfectly on W7. And guess what, the indexing doesn't take place as much as in Vista, and the OS has gotten more responsive. Add some tweaks to the looks, and a few optimizations, and there you have W7, pretty much Vista Deluxe.

Why do people don't buy Vista but wait for W7 at the moment: Vista got a bad rep because of the driver mayhem and pre-SP1 performance. Adding up is the fact that W7 is only half a year away, and W7 will be supported longer than Vista, already being 2-3(?) years old. It's as easy as that.

Timo, will it be expensive as upgrade?

How are they doing pricing...is it actually just an upgrade or is it an entirely new OS?

:sweating:

gogo

hehe dont get me started Timo :sweating:

anyway the rumour is that every Vista license bought on or after July 1 2009 to January 1 2010 will get the Windows 7 upgrade for free :whistle:

But this is not (as far as I know confirmed by MS) but "only" beta info from a few months ago :P

yep gogo it will be possible to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

Upgrades usually can be found for about 50 euros here, that's a starter price.

OEM copies will be priced at somewhere near 100 euros, just like Vista is now. However, these are, of course, only estimates. But the prices of XP and Vista all show a similar trend: 80ish for basic versions, somewhere between 100-150 for normal/premium versions and the most expensive versions can reach 200, it all depends on how MS is going to market W7. Do keep in mind that an OEM copy means you cannot get support from Microsoft, retail versions will have support but are more expensive. Just as a note: how many times have you called or emailed microsoft support? Probably you never needed that support to this day, and I don't think you will need it at all. So OEM copies are the way to go.

But, for an upgrade you need another OS to be installed (in this case Vista, since XP users cannot upgrade). An OEM/retail version will sell at double that price, but they won't need another OS to be installed. It's up to you. :sweating: