Nouveau Varguz

I spent a great deal of my Sacred 2 time this Saturday failing the quest mentioned in the title, leaving the server and rejoining to fail again. There just seems to be no way to complete it.

A google search gave a link to a thread on SIF and another on Clan DA's site where there is talk of talking to a 'tower' before doing anything. The problem, is there is no 'tower' that I can click on.

Has anyone every completed this quest?

I haven't done this Sil. And is that really the name of the quest, " Nouveau Varguz" ?

I like the name

Hope you can get this sorted or someone else here is able to help you out.

:P

gogo

I couldn't complete either.....got to the cave and defeated the minions but never got the key to cave door, which I'm assuming you need to complete. Seems I'm missing a task but it does show as complete in my logbook

I went and tried every possible combination when talking to NPC's, tried only talking to one then trying to open door and nothing worked. Did a little searching and came across this post by Thorin on Clan DA's forum

I'd already send you a PM at the SIF, but since Ten is also having problems with it; here's the solution:

When entering the cave you'll see 3 objects having the exclamation mark over it. DON'T ENTER THE SIDECAVE YET!

Talking to the tower is the only one that helps solving the quest. Talk to the rest afterwards if you like, but never before you've talked to the tower.

Once you've clicked [OK], the tower moves forward and the quest updates the moment it stops moving.

The reward is found in the small side-cave in one of the chests there.

Thorin

Also discussed here in SIF Bughunting forum

I can only guess that this quest is broken since last patch

I haven't done this Sil. And is that really the name of the quest, " Nouveau Varguz" ?

I like the name

:P

gogo

Yes gogo, that is indeed the name. I forget the exact location, but it is in an Orc city with a monolith in the center of some town hall or something. There appear to be only two quests in the place--one to search the coast for some washed up fabric and this one.

The quest in question starts when you talk to an Orc whose brother was the cheiftan and is now dead. The dead one was rich but has hidden all of his swag in a cave. Also, he had a great love of some game. You go to the cave and find a chess board ala Harry Potter. There are three NPC's waiting to talk to you and your quest log, at this point tells you to contact each of them. Only one has a circle around him on the minimap.

No matter which NPC you click on, you will fail the quest.

There is a trick to this quest, when you get to the chess board, look at mini map. Only 1 thing is circled, if you talk to it, the quest should work. The door should be open now. I can understand the reference to a "tower", the character looks like a tower, sort of.

Don't talk to anyone else or it will fail.

Its a very odd quest, I don't really understand it.

Quest isn't broken, I did it a few days ago.

Edited by Colif
  • 8 months later...
There is a trick to this quest, when you get to the chess board, look at mini map. Only 1 thing is circled, if you talk to it, the quest should work. The door should be open now. I can understand the reference to a "tower", the character looks like a tower, sort of.

Don't talk to anyone else or it will fail.

Its a very odd quest, I don't really understand it.

Quest isn't broken, I did it a few days ago.

So I am with Knuckle here. no matter which you talk to is just says nope thats wrong. if you don't kill the spectral warriors you still can't get into the side cave. there are 2 totems in there but you can't talk to any of them. is this possibly and Shadow only quest? I remember solving it on Console, but I was probable on shadow and I don't remember how I did it. I just repeated about 12 runs into that cave and wrote down each combo and no matter which you pick it fails. there is a Orc with the circle, a boar, and a female orc. no give any dialog box to hit ok.

I did the quest last week in single player, here was my solution from SIF:

There is a quest in Orc region called Nouveau Vargeuz. It asks you to collect a book from a cave between two trees and a rock (I think).

Anyway, many people can't work out how to do last part, and I think this photo will help. What happens is you get to a point in a cave near a chess board, and have to choose 1 of 4 people with exclamation marks above their heads.

If you select the wrong person, the quest fails.

The secret is to look at mini map in corner of screen, it shows the right person as they are circled.

chesscrop.jpg

clicking the right person opens door and lets you get book (I think its a book) and complete quest.

Thread

You only need to talk to 1 of them, ignore rest of pieces. Once move is complete, quest should finish and door should open.

Edited by colif
I did the quest last week in single player, here was my solution from SIF:

There is a quest in Orc region called Nouveau Vargeuz. It asks you to collect a book from a cave between two trees and a rock (I think).

Anyway, many people can't work out how to do last part, and I think this photo will help. What happens is you get to a point in a cave near a chess board, and have to choose 1 of 4 people with exclamation marks above their heads.

If you select the wrong person, the quest fails.

The secret is to look at mini map in corner of screen, it shows the right person as they are circled.

chesscrop.jpg

clicking the right person opens door and lets you get book (I think its a book) and complete quest.

Thread

You only need to talk to 1 of them, ignore rest of pieces. Once move is complete, quest should finish and door should open.

I ran it a dozen times and that exclimation mark with the circle is not there. only the three npc on the board, and the male orc has the circle.

Could this be a SP only quest. Colif do you play closed net at all?

I am gonna export my char to SP and try it there. or will it work on LAN?

That explains that then, wiki entry (when made) needs to show these details for everyone to see.

Do you want to repost this on my SIF link to show non Dark members what you discovered?

• 7 months later...

Loco, is this the same with this quest? Is it still only for SP and MP does not complete? I'm trying to put together a Harry Potter page for E Eggs for Wiki...okay if I use your pix?

:)

gogo

I like the name

gogo

Yes gogo, that is indeed the name. I forget the exact location, but it is in an Orc city with a monolith in the center of some town hall or something. There appear to be only two quests in the place--one to search the coast for some washed up fabric and this one.

The quest in question starts when you talk to an Orc whose brother was the cheiftan and is now dead. The dead one was rich but has hidden all of his swag in a cave. Also, he had a great love of some game. You go to the cave and find a chess board ala Harry Potter. There are three NPC's waiting to talk to you and your quest log, at this point tells you to contact each of them. Only one has a circle around him on the minimap.

No matter which NPC you click on, you will fail the quest.

The name of the city is Tharak - it's north of Enturag. The quest is offered up by the new clan chief of the town. It seems his predecessor left some weird directions to where he stashed his loot. He wants you to go find it. So you follow the map indicator and there's a cave that fits the description.

When you go in, there's a small path that leads to a chamber. The chamber contains an extra large chessboard. On it there are some people and things. Some of the people/things on the chessboard have an Exclamation point overhead. Kill off the rodents as they're just in the way.

Now then, as of version 2.43.0, all you have to do is talk to the rook - the thing that LOOKS like a tower. It's sitting in the first row as you walk into the cavern. When you talk to it - it will move across the board about 3 - 4 spaces toward the other side and the quest indicator will go off, letting you know you've finished the quest. I've completed this quest quite a few times on 2.43...

Everytime this quest pops up it seems it's the same sort of thing - the poster has Ice and Blood and no matter what he's done, he can't complete the quest. Maybe the guys behind the community patch might have a fix?

Edit: Ok.. I've tried this in multiplayer and I've confirmed what everyone seems to have found. Sort of. The chess board IS indeed laid out differently.

In LAN based multiplayer mode, there were exactly 3 pieces on the board. One female and one male Orc and one wild boar. When I entered the chamber, the male Orc alone had a circle around his exclamation point. The other two did as well. When I talked to the male Orc, the quest indicator went off and 3 Orc ghosts spawned. I killed the lot of them, talked to the girl Orc and same thing - 3 more ghost Orcs to kill. Lastly, I talked to the boar (yah.. sounds weird...) and 3 more Orc ghosts showed up for a beating.

Now then, this is where things get interesting.. I looked inside the chamber. I did not see the single player target - the 59 best games book. In fact, besides a few chests and a rat, there wasn't much else in there.

So I took a look at my log. And lo and behold, the quest was marked completed - SUCCESSFULLY! Er.. Holy Hannah!? So I read the log and it starts out pretty much the same way. Get the quest, go to the spot, oh.. look, there's the rocks, trees and pond.. Go inside and that's where the outcome changed. Apparently going in and talking to the one with the circle around the ! is the solution. The log said that this wasn't the right place after all. There was no sense in looking further and quest complete. Unfortunately, I didn't save the screenshot of said log - but it should be easy enough to duplicate.

Edit 2: Went through the quest again in SP mode.. Gotta love the new chief's name.. Get this - Gintonic Icelump... OK.. So does that mean his parents were alcoholics to be naming their offspring after an adult beverage..?

Edited by wolfie2kX

The chess figure 'rook' is named 'Turm' in german. Turm is also german for tower. This may have lead to some confusion.

There was a discussion in the GSF for the single player chess match:

http://forum.sacred2.de/showthread.php?t=56158

With a developer congratulating a poster to found out the correct chess match.

http://forum.sacred2.de/showpost.php?p=672...mp;postcount=42

It seems to be Bobby Fischer versus Pal Benko which is mentioned in Fischer's book My 60 Memorable Games.

Used

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1008421

to replay and got

FischerBenko.jpg

Compare it with the second picture from Loco in post 11.

A hint is that you find a book as a quest called 'My 59 best chess games'. Since most people, including me, don't know the chess match found in sacred, it sounds logical that there are only 59 games left to be memorable :)

Congrats to all the chess players around there for their memory of chess matches. Wished I could do this too.

Fischer's winning move was with the Rook/Turm and Fischer died in January 2008, probably around the time quests were coded.

Edited by chattius

Wow!

What a cool idea for an Egg!

Chattius, this is great info, you just made this quest one of top ten for outstanding. Have you any ideas of where the word Varguz is coming from?

I spent a lot of time looking on net, but couldn't find anything I though connected.

gogo

I have no idea where Varguz is from. Somehow the chess game remembers me at battle chess, which was from Interplay, together with bard's tale and some others. Used to play them decades ago, Commodore C64 and Amiga area. Interplay's head was Fargo. Don't think Fargo is Varguz.

Wasn't battle chess in warcraft too? With a chess game orcs versus humans? And a chess with good loot as a reward. Never had warcraft, but perhaps someone knows if there is a quest or name related to chess.

Speaking about old games:

Ascon, Ascaron did Patrizier (The patrizian). Patrizian IV is at shops now, first game from one of the new companies which were once Ascaron. I will probably give it a try. I used to play Patrizier 2 with great fun with my oldest daughter for years.

I'm happy this mystery is solved and documented on Wiki... Foof Finally ! :woot:

It's been broken down into three places on Wiki :

Wolfie has put together a detailed walk through of the quest here:

Nouveau Varguz

And we've split up the Easter Egg status of this quest into two parts , one for it's interpretation as a reference to Bobby Fischer, and the other to the giant chess pieces in the modern day Harry Potter.

Thanks everyone for the time here on finally putting a classy lid on top of this amazing Egg put together by the Ascaron devs. I was chatting with Schot last night, we both agreed that it's in-depth, delightful work like this from the devs that has kept us being proud of this game and want to follow the series where it goes.

:D

gogo

Imagine if every quest in Sacred 2 was actually an Easter egg. Makes you wonder.

I said similar in this thread on the SIF regarding the Jazz cave and what Olms are.

Todays date is 10/10/10 which is binary for 42... Douglas, where are you?

Edited by colif