Bak Chang

Duan Wu festival is coming, and like what would happen every year, we have way too many 粽 of all kinds. Really wish I could share it with everyone. :)

Now, my thread title is weird right? The thing is I cannot find a satisfying translation. Most English sources say (Chinese) dumpling. I mean, that just won't do, there are more than 50 kinds of common Chinese dumplings, uncountable if you look hard enough. So help me, what is this? :)

dumpling.jpg

Anyhow, they should be selling in your local Chinese market, and now is the best time of the year to try them. I like the salty meat style best (the style from my father side), the Northern bean-filled style second (the style from my mother side).

Btw, those duck egg/dried oyster/five nuts mix varieties are not for weak stomach, trust me. :sweating:

Hmmmmm I rly couldn't tell what it is due to my limited knowledge of this kind of food,

BUT I do now it looks very tasty, I ate one of those with meat in it once in a Thai Restaurant here in Belgium, no idea what name it had though

Hmmmm getting hungry ;) .

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol so I suppose there really isn't a real translation.

Its not spicy. Sweet or salty mainly, a bit chewy with a mixed tasted of the ingredient. They are indeed warped with leafs, three or four depending on the width, all natural so to speak. Definitely one of the healthier Chinese food with thousand years of history. :pirate:

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if you could tell us about the leaves for wrapping. My book talks of Paan leaves, lotus leaves, corn husks and banana leaves. Does not say what Paan is. It gives lotus leaves as being used for Chinese dumplings, or"dim-sum".

Is this info correct Myles ?