Modding Experience For Kills? (Figured it out!)

As you have guess I am new over here but have been around Sacred since 04.

What I want to know is if there is a way to mod the amount of experience you get per kill. I have changed the quest experience and drops by following the guides here but I also want to change kills experience so I can have a smoother progression where I can enjoy the normal grind sessions instead of quest grinding.

Can it be done?

Edited by gogoblender

Ok. I figured it out.

I changed the MPExperience in balance.txt and it increases single player experience on kills. I am not sure but I think the first number equals 1 player in game (?) and I have it set at 40000 and got 1400 experience at level 3 for one kill ( will probably lessen it so I wont get level 200 in an hour ).

• 2 months later...
Ok. I figured it out.

I changed the MPExperience in balance.txt and it increases single player experience on kills. I am not sure but I think the first number equals 1 player in game (?) and I have it set at 40000 and got 1400 experience at level 3 for one kill ( will probably lessen it so I wont get level 200 in an hour ).

I did 3x on all the xp and 2x on all the monster damage (spell and physical) and it seemed to make the game a little more enjoyable to play. I died more often, but only when I tried to just blast through a group of enemies without any kind of strategy. If I watched what I was doing and where I was going, I was fine. This is considerably better than before where I got from level 1-15 without dying, just killing everything without regard for strategy.

• 3 weeks later...

This worked fine for me using 2.10, but I upgraded to 2.43 and now it doesn't work. I have tried modifying the options.txt, optionsCustom.txt and the balance.txt and I can't get the xp gain to increase. Any ideas? It did work before 2.43.

Do backup of savegames and try to reinstall Sacred. Edit balance.txt after installing the updates. I have 2.43 and it works good.

Thanks. Good to hear it still works. Trying it now.

• 1 year later...
MP experience numbers are diff. levels. First nr. is bronze and so on...

I don't think that's the case. Playing single player on silver difficulty, while editing only the FIRST value in MPexperience line, gets me a definite XP boost. Same goes for all the other MP lines in balance.txt - upping the first value gives a very noticeable challenge increase in SP, regardless of chosen difficulty. If what you said was true, said changes would only affect bronze difficulty.

Perhaps MP lines refer to number of players on the server?

• 1 month later...
I dont understand how you guys are changing the values. I go the balance file and it opens in notepad I change something and try to save but it can not save for some error is stopping it. How do I do it?

Lemme guess - Vista or Win 7... Right?

If so, you need to run Notepad as Administrator.

I dont understand how you guys are changing the values. I go the balance file and it opens in notepad I change something and try to save but it can not save for some error is stopping it. How do I do it?

Or copy the whole file to another folder, edit it then copy it back overwriting the old file. When it says something like "are you sure you want to do this to such an important admin type file?" click yes.

Or copy the whole file to another folder, edit it then copy it back overwriting the old file. When it says something like "are you sure you want to do this to such an important admin type file?" click yes.

yes I use vista. My 1st pc game so I am new. Thanks will try it later :crazy:

it worked but I changed the wrong things now im at level 10 and need 5mill to level up :drool: hope I changed them back to what they were

Edited by UFCfanAndy
  • 7 months later...

Do backup of savegames and try to reinstall Sacred. Edit balance.txt after installing the updates. I have 2.43 and it works good.

Has this been discussed elsewhere?

I'm on Windows 7, I'm an experienced developer, I know I'm changing balance.txt, I've compared it with the original, and I'm not seeing any effect anymore of changes that I make to balance.txt, since I upgraded to 2.43.

Changing MP_experience. pfftt... nothing...

Let alone increasing drop rates. Made the changes and nothing happens. Is there something about savefiles that prevents the values from the server/balance.txt from taking precedence?

Has this been discussed elsewhere?

I'm on Windows 7, I'm an experienced developer, I know I'm changing balance.txt, I've compared it with the original, and I'm not seeing any effect anymore of changes that I make to balance.txt, since I upgraded to 2.43.

Changing MP_experience. pfftt... nothing...

Let alone increasing drop rates. Made the changes and nothing happens. Is there something about savefiles that prevents the values from the server/balance.txt from taking precedence?

Oh and if it hasn't been done, I'll do the troubleshooting necessary to figure this out, but I don't want to spin my wheels identifying and solving a problem that's been solved.