What do you think about this config?

Csaszar

Hey :)

After years of gaming with minimum settings I have decided to buy a new rig.

Now there is a possibility for me to buy this:

proc: Core i7 920 2.66GHz D0 stepping,

cooing: Intel Core i7 BOX

OCZ Game X Stream 600W

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58-UD3R (nVidia SLI, ATi CF, S1366)

Memory: OCZ 6GB Tri Channel KIT

HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 32MB SATA2

Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5

CoolerMaster Mystique 631

What do you think about this? Its not cheap but atm its a possibility.

it would cost around 1300 usd.

Why get an nVidia SLI capable motherboard if you are going to use Radeon graphics? Otherwise it looks very nice. Also I might go for the Game X Stream 750 PSU for a little headroom should you plan for dual graphics at any time.

Timo: Not entirely true.

All X58 Chipsets will do CrossFire. However nVidia forces the manufacturer to pay for the licensing to be able to incorporate SLI as well. So certain boards will be CrossFire only. (MSI x58 Platinum for example, except the version that says "SLi" at the end of the name). So it is worth looking into in that regard. If you're not going to go with SLi/nVidia you might as well get a board that doesn't support it, assuming it provides the features you want.

Hey :tongue:

It seems tomorrow will be the day ;)

A lil update:

I changed the graphic card from Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5 to Gainward GeForce 260 GTX 896MB Golden Sample. My future plans will be to get a second one and use it with SLI - but thats only future plans atm. (maybe a GeForce 275 GTX Gainward 896MB (633/2268MHz) but again it upps the costs)

I would ask you again an another question. What OS should I use with it?

Good old XP or Vista?

Never tried Vista this far and heard only bad things about it. But it uses DX10 which cant be run on XP. So what do you think? (sidenote: I already have XP but Vista would be additional cost :tease: )

Edited by Csaszar

Wait, stick to XP for a bit.

If you really want a new OS: Windows Seven should be hitting the market in October. It'll do Dx9, Dx10 AND DX11. :tongue: And it's supposed to be everything that Vista should have been. Vista 2.0, something like that.