DarkMatters/SacredWiki Bandwidth Use

Was it me or was the whole forum down this morning ? (GMT+1)

SacredWiki too

The notice was: Can't access the website cuz the owner's bandwith limit is overdue or something...

I could visit other websites and my bandwith limit is always been max, and the monthly download limit just refereshed (some thing from Belgium, we have to pay /gig for our downloads to our provider)

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bandwidth of the Forum/Wiki was down. They fell short of their monthly needs this month by... 4 hours I think it was? The month 'resets' at 12EST (GMT -5) so it was probably up again for you around 7-8am. But yes, to answer your question, it was down.

The bandwidth of the Forum/Wiki was down. They fell short of their monthly needs this month by... 4 hours I think it was? The month 'resets' at 12EST (GMT -5) so it was probably up again for you around 7-8am. But yes, to answer your question, it was down.

Ah thx for the quick reply I was thinking it was a fault at my end of the screen :(

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

I also noticed it was down with the same message. All I could think was, "Gogo pawned his pants to pay for hosting, what will he have to pawn next!"

Hey you guys!

Like many will have experienced, darkmatters.org and sacredwiki.org were temporarily out due to the load of people visiting this place.

I know you have been thinking about getting more bandwidth, but I was wondering whether there are other options?

Do you have any ideas around what's causing the problem? Is it the large number of people visiting, or is it due to some of the material found on the site (pics, etc).

Just to get things straight, afaik you are paying for this by yourselves right? Would you consider a donation button?

Anyways, just wanted to start a discussion about this :(

Stats from websiteaccountant.com:

th_DM-WA.png

th_SW-WA.png

Edited by gogoblender

Well when I saw it down I started laughing at gogo... I believe my exact message on MSN was "LOL... Poor you", and was told he was busy bargaining for more bandwidth. Then that it was only until the end of month (thus midnight), but it's possible it was West Coast time not East Coast so an extra 3 hours there... that or it takes a bit of time for them to realize "Oh... they have bandwidth again, let's unlock their site"

Wow nice calculations :) Hope Gogo & Schot can find I cool solution ..

Maybe they can get rich by charging us 2 euro a post :(

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

AFAIK, since I've been asking gogo about this as of last week when he started seeing the bandwidth go high:

Sacred Wiki and Dark Matters are on one set of bandwidth, all images are hosted on a separate Photobucket Account.

Unless I'm confused about bandwidth issues the images on the sites should not affect bandwidth usage for the sites themselves, they are loading from photobucket rather than from the Wiki/FDM.

You'd have to ask Gogo/Schot to be sure but the real question has to be, how many page views did they have last month (I've seen gogo quote unique views, but you have to remember, every refresh of a page uses bandwidth, not just the unique view) and just how much data is there per page view.

I did try asking about donations and stuff, I guess we'll just have to convince them to let us help support the site, it might be their site as such, but we can help them run it, we get as much out of it as they do.

I would be up for tossing some donations around to support the site, as soon as I get some money haha... :( This site is a great resource, as is sacredwiki... wouldn't want it to disappear on us.

Traffic stats for darkmatters.org (page views per user): http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/darkmatters.org

Traffic stats for sacredwiki.org (page views per user): http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sacredwiki.org

You'll need to click on "traffic" on the left hand side and then select the corresponding stats category from there, as these two links drop you onto the "related links" page for some reason...

Not sure how accurate alexa is on that, but maybe it gives a rough idea anyways. :)

Edited by Scrappy McSlap

Both sites were down for several hours for me over here in BC, Canada... hadn't realized how reliant I was on the wiki and forum until I tried to find a replacement. Nothing even close! haha.... glad it's back up.

What becomes very interesting is when you compare the two of them, then add in SIF... assuming the values are accurate then the results are quite... interesting.

I didn't just mean that way.

When you compare the three graphs (FDM, Wiki and SIF) you'll see that it looks as though FDM and Wiki are almost as popular as SIF as far as views etc. If that's the case... then that's a lot of traffic.

I know, I meant somethin else, my first post with the websiteaccountant system. The worth is based on ads and the combination of pageviews and clicks on ads. (When you look at my first post.)

And what you said: It's quite sick that the SIF and FDM/Wiki generate that much views, with the latter being hosted privately.

SIF:

Daily Pageviews

Daily ad profits

$ 27,67

Worth

$ 21.031,00

darkmatters.org:

Daily Pageviews

Daily ad profits

$ 7,73

Worth

$ 5.875,00

sacredwiki.org:

Daily Pageviews

Daily ad profits

$ 17,19

Worth

$ 13.062,00

Edited by Timotheus

Didn't quite make it to the end of the month. :P gogo and I have been watching the meter for a few days now and we were hopeful that the sites would inch past the finish line so to speak, heh. Interest in the sites are very much at a peak with the release of the console versions. We were expecting an increase in visits but we didn't really expect visits to more than double... :)

We were planning to present some figures to all of you which should prove fairly interesting since this months spike will be included. First though gogo and I need to investigate where resources are being pulled. I have to say I'm a bit shocked since the majority of our graphics our hosted elsewhere. Essentially the sites used 100GB of bandwidth and our photobucket account matched that to make it a total 200GB for this month. I dare not think how much the wiki map uses...

More news on the way! For now I'm off to work.

I think I'm gonna download the map when I'm at my own pc, for future use, that'll waste a bit less bandwith...

Edited by Arperum

I was going through withdrawal shakes at home. I need my darkmatters fix daily.... Its my homepage so when it doesnt work things just go downhill from there ... *lol*

Well

First off, wanted to say...

THANK YOU SUPPORTERS!!

:)

As an independent site, err...I guess you could say we're busy :)

It's funny, I was reading this post today from work, and putting together some ideas for our next hosting package... Timo, your heart regarding this is gold, and when your post went up I just wanted hug ya! And Gene.. withdrawals? lol how I know what you mean...when the site was down last night, found myself, bored listless.. yeah I need another hobby:P Thanks everyone for wanting to even consider something like wanting to help out. As Zin has noted, we actually spread out our bandwidth to a number of different sites to keep the cost of having us all having a good time here as cheap as possible.

The Darkmatters and SacredWiki site are powered by Booyah (Owned by Fernis...he rocks!), Pix for Wiki and skin for this site are coming off a commercial account that we have purchased from Bucket a few months ago, and the map is being powered by another company we use that so far seems to be holding out ( Though like Schot said, I'm scared to look at those numbers)

We make this site as creative as possible, to be surrounded by the things we love and the people we want to have in our world.

We want everyone to be able to use the Sacred 2 Google Map because that's how Schot wanted it to be seen rather than just a download. Talk about downloading it so that you can save us some money is noble, touching. But we will really try to do our best to make it so that noone is ever feeling obliged to have to reach into their pockets or make sacrifices.

This site is a hobby, is created with everyone from here from their own lives and loves. This is the part we value the most, and it's probably the reason why money has never been a part of the equation for us.

It's only that the last month really took us for a loop. We calculated double the bandwidth while planning for console users to come here...but I don't think anyone was prepared with how successful the port was going to be, and the six hours the wiki was down is, in a way, testimony to the success of a site created by the fans.

So a very very well done and sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to the database as well as making this site, DarkMatters, the heart of it all, a part of their lives.

And so where do we go from here? Well last night, we were negotiating more bandwidth from our hoster, and Fernis has once again come through with great pricing on quality bandwidth. We're sticking with this guy because he has treated us like family, and that's the kind of people we want to do business with. We're going to almost double our bandwidth for the remainder of our contract with Booyah Hosting, and see how it goes from there.

Will Consoles keep driving the views? Who knows. The readership almost tripled in the last month alone, and May 31st was a stomach clenching day for us as we were watching the meter race, with our metered amount trickling to zero just six hours before the month end.

Not so bad huh? :P

As well, we like what chareos, Zin, Knuckles, Bhj and many many others who have pmed us with offers of support for the site.

For that alone firstly a very sincere thank you. We're sort of strange people. We're mostly taken up by having fun and creating as much as we can with our friends. This is probably why we're awful with stuff like ads or monetizing :)

We don't want the site to be overrun. We don't think we should have bare anyone to the excess, commercial evils of a current age cuz we hate that too :) Donations have been mentioned by a few in this topic. That's cool, we know a lot of other sites do it... but... we think we can come up with something a little more fun for everyone here ;)

DarkMatters and SacredWiki are here to stay, and with support like you have posted and pmed us, we are fired to keep finding great, fun, new ways to actually look at costs and still feel like it's going to be a sunny day after all.

Thank you, keep posting, keep wikilating

Have fun

:)

gogo

P.S. And for you number lovers out there, we've just pulled out some of the stats for the sites over the last year. Yeah, that last month is a doozy huh

SacredWiki Stats

statswiki.jpg

DarkMatters Stats

statsdark.jpg

I have to say darkmatters as my home page is a bit like waking up in your own house in the morning. Yeah sure you can use a hotel for the night or two but nothing is quite like home, even if you dont spend much time there... nothing is like home :-)

Eventually Todd and I will solve our Sacred 2 hardware/software issues and get online somehow but in the meantime this is still home :-) I finally saw a version of Sacred 2 in our local walmart (the only software seller in our area now since staples doesnt sell games anymore really) unfortunately its the ps3 version and I cant afford a ps3... but hey its a step foward...

So I'm glad to see the power bill has been paid and the lights are back on cause just like in a brick and mortar home, it gets rather scary when theres no power and its all dark at in your house... *g*

Edited by Genenut

Holy moly....1.5 million hits between FDM and Wiki last month !! :Just_Cuz_21:

Love this place as much as you guys do...so my offer stands...anytime :)

Epic post there, gogo... well said. I've only been reading this forum for a couple few weeks now, but I could tell by reading the posts from the more dedicated members that this was a site with a quality community. Glad to see you all managed to get everything worked out.

All this interest in the twow sites just goes to show how well presesnted they are and how great a community is here looking after everything...its a great reflection on you two Gogo and schot but also everyone else who posts here and helps with the wiki...great place :Just_Cuz_21: