DarkMatters/SacredWiki Bandwidth Use

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no longer, got the standard sacred 2 skin back up here. only available choice in the box is IP board pro though. not going to risk changing and loose this one again...

Edited by Arperum

hehe well I think its fix now (its suppose to be anyway) :)

(but do tel me if there is someone still having this problem :pirate: )

seems like the photobucket is overloaded again, the fast reply button, the "no new posts in topic"-sign and some more buttons all are hiding behind those upgrade to pro things...

Yeah, seems like the place is taking quite a big hit lately.

You know, it's really cool to have a really nice customized look and all. But maybe this custom look should not be the default skin?

seems like the photobucket is overloaded again, the fast reply button, the "no new posts in topic"-sign and some more buttons all are hiding behind those upgrade to pro things...

Hmmmm no problems here...... is it my cookies or has it all been restored?

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

That's what Bjørn meant to say Chareos :D

Personally, I wouldn't mind if this would be the default skin for non-subscribed users. But that's from a practical standpoint... :pirate:

I VERY light skin is definitely in our future. Bandwidth is going so fast these days. Situation has been bandaged for now. bhj and I are going to work on a solution that will last more than a couple days, heh.

Personally I like the cleaner lines of this skin anyway, even if it is a bit sterile. I would also suggest that we have some alternate skins as optional once bandwidth is fixed up a bit, but keep a streamlined one as the board default.

heh, this new pro skin actually works better for me while I'm at work looking at the forum. We'll have everything back up normal by tomorrow everyone. We've decided on purchasing a new second commercial account with Photobucket for both the sites, which we can allocate for both the forum and wiki content to handle the uber skins here at DarkMatters, and that'll take us through for a while.

Thanks everyone here who has been patient with us during the growth...ayuh...growing pains ^^

;)

gogo

That's what Bjørn meant to say Chareos ;)

Personally, I wouldn't mind if this would be the default skin for non-subscribed users. But that's from a practical standpoint... ;)

Gogo,

Are you sayin , your goin back to "normal" skin?

Possibility to save some BW using Timo's suggestion, Not to tell ya how to drive the truck.

But, you must agree, It's not a terrible prob to have with all of our new friends.

The community grows, and we all make new friends.

It's a win, win.

Well, one of the reasons why we have this site is because it allows us to have fun with creativity. Schot's hugely creative and loves working with graphics and making things sizzle with looks. DarkMatters has a tradition of always having "out of the box" skins with some great mods and hacks. The challenge lately has been because of...too much success? ;)

Which puts us in a dillemma. "tone down" what a prospective new member here sees when they first arrive...tame the "feeling" of oh wow...what a great looking cool, site! ...which costs us a ton of bandwidth...

To a very stripped down, graphically lame but easy on the bandwidth site?

After some talk, schot and I both realized that "initial impact" is important to us. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. It's been one of our key drivers over the last five years, and we think, at this point...while we can afford it... that we can still (hopefully) be able to power that vision for a little while longer at least.

Yes, it's possible to run the entire forum in a barebones skin...but is it something we want to wake up to every day while having morning coffee? Is it something that will delight us? Something that will inspire us and others to bring their lives to the forum and help create?

Ahhh ^^

;)

gogo

Well, like others alrdy have suggested, I would gladly help out in the means of paying a bit to see the coolness of Teh D.a.r.k. as long as there isn't any cake about ;)

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Agreed, donations could ease the pain a bit.

I'd be happy to contribute.

Yea if like 20 of us gave 1 cookie each, you'd have euhm.......... 19 1/2 cookies!!

But to be serious, we're all coming to the same place we love and know, if all of us gave something, even the smallest bit,

we would be coming to a place that looks even more badass cool, in my opinion it's worth it!

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

I know when I logged on and read what was happening then saw the 'bare bones' it kind of made me sad LOL I have always loved the graphical content of FDM, like a familiar blanket, the one you grab when you snuggle down to watch a movie on the sofa. I'm home but eh there's something missing! I also know how over he years how much love,sweat and dare I add tears (ok headaches) the skinning has caused but it's always what's helped FDM be what it is, you are right gogo, is it FDM with your first cuppa of the day :)

This community has grown beyond belief and I say if peeps want to help then it's a great idea....now....where's that button?

:)