Schot and his metallic effects

fRACTAL

Schot I love the metallic effects you do, and the borders you make (your current sig is a prime example)

Can you tell me how you did it/point me to how you learned please?

:sweating:

~Doom

Heya Tim. I don't have a whole lot of time to go into detail so I'll pass you the psd I made it in. MetallicSample.psd In basic terms I built the exterior shape using the pen tool, vector, then duplicated the shape, then shrunk the second shape slightly and used it to punch a whole into the first shape with Layer Mask. I think I had to do a bit of tweaking on the second shape though. When making a second smaller shape like that one, lots of curves, it needs to be fine tuned in order for it to be an exact shrunken replica. Try to use as few vector points as possible by using the vector point "handle bars" to create curves instead.

Oh... A second, easier, method I think I used in order to punch a hole through was to duplicate the shape, add an inner stroke of say 3, flatten the duplicate, magic wand the space inside and fill on a new empty layer. Then use that fill layer as the Layer Mask.

See you after work and good luck!

Whoops...I thought I saw Metallica in the post title and jumped on here. I'll leave now :paladin:

awwwww

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

I think you can get some nice metallic effects by using gradient fill, adding noise, hitting it with a wind filter(or not if you want a dirty effect), hot wax coating, and inner bevel.

Of course I don't have the buying power to get Photoshop, though I may have a very old version lying around somewhere, and so everything I said is coming from Paint Shop Pro. But I do believe that there is a filter in photoshop to match(if not do it one better) wind, and hot wax.

Thanks schot, and also, wow, you use tons of layers (although I can see some are to change what the sig shows)

I think I may have to try using more layers, it looks like quite a good idea.

:(

~Doom

Oh and I'm looking forward to the 19th, Transformers 2!

Edited by TimOfDoom