Throwing/ranged SW?

I am interested in trying to make a throwing weapons SW using the Death Warrior and Malevolent Champion aspects.

"Why not just make a Dryad?" - I already have a dryad, for one. Secondly, I kind of like the idea of a character who has two aspects that can support ranged attacks (SW) instead of one (Dryad), and can mod each of those aspects with a single skill (Tactics Lore). Hooray for efficiency.

"Throwing weapons aren't as good as..." - Well, nobody said this build needed to be uber. My brief experience with the character shows that a SW has a little hitch in his delivery with bows, where he double clutches and winds up before firing. Throwing weapons seem to be tossed faster, and faster = generally better, although you lose something in the way of range. I'll be sticking close to my Augmenting Guidon anyway, so it remains to be seen how much range comes into it.

Skills would be something like, in no particular order:

DW Focus

MC Focus

Concentration - for Grim Resilience and Reflective Emanation

Tactics Lore

Ranged Weapons

Armor Lore

Constitution

Combat Reflexes

Then there's room for two more skills.

CA-wise...from my Astral Lord SW I know that Augmenting Guidon is quite useful. Demonic Blow and Scything Sweep fill the roles of the single tough monster killer/multi target hitter. Belligerent Vault lets you bunny hop.

The rest I have very little experience in, so I'm interested in hearing from the crowd about which of the remaining CAs are most useful and fun to kill things with for a ranged attacker.

I love outside of box builds like this. Are you going to put all points in Dex? The stars use Dex as their modifier:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Weapons

And if you look at the SW's start stats, Dex is his lowest Attribute:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Attributes

He's actually got the lowest dex out of the six classes. His CTH may be a challenge. I don't know much about SW Combat Arts...is there one that will absolutely increase cth on ranged weps for Shadow Warriors?

:bye:

gogo

Sounds good so far....I haven't played much with a ranged SW..I tried Demonic Blow with a bow while mounted but it appears to be bugged and haven't tried it since.

I would love to know how it goes as you progress...maybe you'll even inspire me to have another go at it :bye:

Been doing some thinking. If you think you could choose two lores, then you could take poles and ranged. Then by putting all points into Dex, you'd actually boost the damage of a melee weapon AND a ranged wep.

You'd have to be careful of the poles you're picking though, only some of them are boosted by dex. If you look at the Poles section of the wiki, you will see which ones are modded by Dex. Offhand I think there's Ronthron's something or something which has massive damage and is also boosted by Dex.

I'm just concerned about this type of SW's cth... I'm pretty sure you're going to have to rely upon a LOT of rings and ammies, mostly anti evasion to get decent cth...which is crucial for a ranged build. Got a Bargainer handy? ^^

With two lores though, you'd be able to pick 'em off at a distance , then crunch the ones who get close to you!

:bye:

gogo

Yup, all points in dexterity.

Although it may be tempting to do so, I really don't want to have to rely on melee for anything.

Killing Spree sounds kind of interesting, since as a thrower I'll be reasonably close to the fray anyway. Kill enough guys, and the rest go boom. It would add a bit of Area of Effect to the build, which would certainly be welcome.

The wiki says that Frenzied Rampage doesn't work with ranged weapons. That's a bummer. The idea of double hitting bosses has a certain charm.

Oh, and both Rousing Command and Killing Spree have modifications that add a big chunk to attack values.

Edited by Three Stars
The wiki says that Frenzied Rampage doesn't work with ranged weapons. That's a bummer. The idea of double hitting bosses has a certain charm.

I would personally check to see whether the CTH Combat Arts with their mods DO affect ranged. Wiki's a lot comprised of tool tips until someone experiements and finds Combat Arts can do more or act different. In the case of the TG Combat Arts, some of them work slightly different than tool tips, and so the wiki has been changed to reflect that.

In this case, I would make absolutely certain that the mod with it's CA absolutely does mod Ranged, because I'm not sure anyone has made a ranged SW before.

I've actually run a ranged seraphim modded by Dex... so like you I was very much interested in Area of Effect weps. Poles can do it, the Double hit mod on Duel wield is interesting, and Energy Weapons also has "Chance to Hit additional Oppoenents"

I never played a shadow warrior. In my family we play with 4 persons on 2 machines and after placing the bargain characters every 25 levels the next character is thought to be a blacksmith. Since none of my family likes the look of the dog it was decided to do a shadow warrior with blacksmithing and alchemy.

The shadow warrior has a CA which pushes up attack speed so alchemy was planed to replace the weapon skill. Trollteeth give 1000% attack value for 50 seconds at alchemy 300 in niob so hitting bosses is possible without a weapon skill or a CA giving CTH ( I played Elf with alchemy already, my oldest daughter an all weapon dryad with alchemy).

So the shadow warrior would be able to use all type of weapons: sword, shaft, polearm, ranged... with same chance to hit. Of cause it won't be possible to unlock weapon modifiers or get double-hits but skull trophies from undeads are easy to get and they give 30% critical.

You had 2 skills free. I add blacksmith and alchemy. To allow creative gameplay for my kids I wouldn't take ranged. For you it might be okay since it unlocks weapon modifiers. Which skill would you add for creativity? To have more Combat Arts to play with as a kid?

Three, your topic has completely inspired me now...can't get the mechanics out of my head since this came up. Actually tried to run a seraphim ranged, but was very unhappy with how it's damage was distributed. I made a SW ranged yesterday and ran him to level 25. Was quite pleased, and am planning to kill him off and redo his skill pix.

Will post more as I get further along with the new dude.

:)

gogo

Three, your topic has completely inspired me now...can't get the mechanics out of my head since this came up. Actually tried to run a seraphim ranged, but was very unhappy with how it's damage was distributed. I made a SW ranged yesterday and ran him to level 25. Was quite pleased, and am planning to kill him off and redo his skill pix.

Will post more as I get further along with the new dude.

:viking:

gogo

Glad to hear it. I, unfortunately, get interesting character ideas and then tend to abandon them, since I end up with too many characters at once. I do need to beat Platinum and Niobium with my Ice HE one of these days, after all, and then take my Nature Caster Dryad into Gold. Not to mention my Summoner/Skellie Fort SW in Silver. Then I need to fulfill my dream of a pure caster Seraphim, if I can ever get a magic damage character out of the early game without massive frustration. :)

I eagerly await your updates.

I made a comment about this in the SacredWiki section of the forums, the Wiki may be out of date and I still looking for someone on PC to confirm if frenzied rampage works with ranged weapons on PC or if its just a platform thing, works in PS3, just limited to 3 quick shots instead of 5 swings

From the german patch 2.31 changes file:

"Mehrfachattacken-Kampfkünste, die mit Fernkampfwaffen ausgeführt werden, haben nun eine Begrenzung der Anzahl der Projektile auf drei. Modifikationen können diese Begrenzung aber erhöhen."

Patch 2.34 added a forgotten Inquisitor CA to this. Don't think that there were changes after this. So for all classes now:

Multiple attack Combat Arts are now limited to 3 projectiles. Modifications can add projectiles.

I use a magic stave with my SW.

Works well, and when used with scything sweep it can hit up to 11 creatures, at range.

Havent adjusted much to make this a more powerful weapon, never know, may find a better sword or axe later on.

I would put a pic up of my SW in action, but unsure how to do so on here