Upgrade ram for your graphics card?

Llama8

I bought a BFG 320Meg 8800GTS when they came out, it was great value for money & (IIRC) isn't a crippled version of the 640Meg (well, apart from the ram).

Now, with Sacred 2 it's begining to creak a bit (after patch 2.40, pre-2.40 it was running very well), so I was wondering the following:

1) Is it possible to upgrade the ram on a gfx card?

2) What ram would it use?

3) Would it be cheaper to buy a new card (& if so, how do I make sure my mobo does PCIE 2.0, I'm reasonably sure it doesn't)?

1.No (Well possibly, but it would be very expensive)

2.Specially manufactured Video Card RAM

3. Yes, and all PCIe 2.0 Cards are backwards compatible, they won't be as fast, but we don't even use all of normal PCIe x16's power yet.

(I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a normal PCIe x16 slot)

:cry:

~Doom

1.No (Well possibly, but it would be very expensive)bugger, thought so

2.Specially manufactured Video Card RAMbugger, thought so

3. Yes, and all PCIe 2.0 Cards are backwards compatible, they won't be as fast, but we don't even use all of normal PCIe x16's power yet.

(I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a normal PCIe x16 slot) :) That's ok then. :cry:

:D

~Doom

Edit: next question, is there a site somewhere that ranks the various types of Nvidia gfx cards (eg, GT250, 260, etc)?

1.No (Well possibly, but it would be very expensive)bugger, thought so

2.Specially manufactured Video Card RAMbugger, thought so

(I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a normal PCIe x16 slot) :) That's ok then. :cry:

:D

~Doom

Edit: next question, is there a site somewhere that ranks the various types of Nvidia gfx cards (eg, GT250, 260, etc)?

Tom's hardware has this. It includes both Nvidia and ATI

1.No (Well possibly, but it would be very expensive) That, and nigh impossible, since you would have to solder off the RAM, solder on the new RAM, and fix the BIOS in the cards with appropriate speeds and voltages.

2.Specially manufactured Video Card RAM

(I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a normal PCIe x16 slot) I think that so far, the differences don't really show. Multi-GPU setups, that's another story.

:drinks:

~Doom