Sacred 2 - Quest Research

Zeno

I have completed many side quests and only now found they are missing in the Wiki. Unfortunately the save game method hampers capturing proper images. What to do? Is anyone working on adding the missing side quests?

In between actually working, and ocassionally sleeping, that would be me at the minute Raster :tongue:

I figure if I average maybe 20 quests added per week I can get all the High Elf region done in, oh...2 1/2 months? ... might be hampered by the two week holiday in August tho lol

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Z, Hi, I'm currently playing the Campaign as a Light SW. I just captured images for a couple of side quests in chapter V. I haven't edited these yet. I also just requested privs to edit the Wiki.

I noticed there are no side quest walk throughs for chapter V and on. I was interested because I thought some quests should not be taken as they seemed to oppose others. For instance, in chapter V, The Dragon Cult quests there are five, sort of. I saved the hostages, killed hundreds of cultists and young dragons so why help the cultists? A walk through should answer that question.

I also wonder just how many and what type of images are considered standard for a walk through. I just noticed that some my captured images are incomplete, no dialog included in image. This may mean my walk through may be incomplete.

For a standard walkthrough guide you need:

1) A main map (M key) capture showing where the quest starts *

2) A t-map (Tab key) capture is always welcome also *

3) A capture with the dialog on each contact, together with a t-map showing the place if appropiate

4) The completed mission logbook capture **

That's what we understand is needed for a standard quest guide. From here, I guess it's the writer own criteria which adds more captures or not, depending on the quest difficulty, length, etc...

* To be included next to the header

** To be included in the Logbook section at the bottom

Edit & PS: You can take a look on Ephrahim's Nightmare chain quest, or even The Undead Legion. Both were written by me, and they are full of captures; sometimes I tend to use too much of them though.

Edited by Zeno

3) A capture with the dialog on each contact, together with a t-map showing the place if appropiate

4) The completed mission logbook capture **

That's what we understand is needed for a standard quest guide. From here, I guess it's the writer own criteria which adds more captures or not, depending on the quest difficulty, length, etc...

* To be included next to the header

** To be included in the Logbook section at the bottom

Edit & PS: You can take a look on Ephrahim's Nightmare chain quest, or even The Undead Legion. Both were written by me, and they are full of captures; sometimes I tend to use too much of them though.

''cough'' Should I be worried that I normally only include 2 and 4? :tongue:

I would say that as long as your content lets people a) find the start, and b) complete the quest, the exact dialogue (and even the logbook info - sorry Zeno :cry:) isn't 100% necessary. Anything that's 'missing' can always be added later after all :lol:

If you want to look at any of my quests as a comparison to Zeno's I've recently added the Eye Into the Sky chain quests and the Protecting Noriath's Corner chain quests.

I found The Third Sacrifice quest listed under the chain quests. On the main Quests page there are two "side quest" links. The first is by chapter and does not include the chain quests (at least for chapter five). Shouldn't this page include the all side quests, individual and chain?

Edited by RasterOps

Zeno's notes on this topic are correct regarding a now-recognized fully completed quest guide.

We'll still be happy with with whatever content a contributor is able to submit, but it would still be considred an uncompleted quest guide, and the original contributor should leave room in the template for another contributor to come along at a later date so that we have a completed quest guide.

We're looking to have this wiki have as high a resolution of detail as possible, volunteers and game time permitting :tongue:

This means a slower approach to the documenting, perhaps, but eventually we'll have it all.

We're not in a rush, we have at least two years with this project, and Diablo 3 is a looooooooong way off :lol:

The Log Books are proof of what's being documented, are important and ultimately every quest guide on SacredWiki should have a copy for it to have the credibility we are looking for regarding info from substantiated game data.

Cheers

:cry:

gogo

I found The Third Sacrifice quest listed under the chain quests. On the main Quests page there are two "side quest" links. The first is by chapter and does not include the chain quests. Shouldn't this page include the all side quests, individual and chain?

(Glomps Raster) :cry:

The re-organisation of the quests and/or quests page is an ongoing discussion at the moment. See if you like my idea any better ;)

And/or feel free to suggest changes to either layout of course :P

@gogo: you couldn't have mentioned this in, say, the quest template? :tongue: oh well, I suppose it gives my TG something to do when I get around to running him through chapter 1... unfortunately not going to help with the light-only quests :lol:

Edited by ZGold

I will be working on side quests at some point. I am filling in as I go. There is plenty of room for others to add as well.

ZGold, we are all backing each other up with this. I figure this makes the game more interesting to play and working on the wiki also helps me avoid brain rot.

The first thing I noticed about the list of quests (any list) is they all start with "Sacred 2". Now everyone knows this is Sacred 2 and when a user is searching for a quest it is much more difficult. There is actually no alphabetical listing of the quests.

Is this due to the template/link requirement [[sacred 2: NAME OF QUEST|NAME OF QUEST]]? Can this be changed to allow for an alphabetical listing of quests? What are the properties of the model/method [[sacred 2: NAME OF QUEST|NAME OF QUEST]]? In other words is the "Sacred 2: Name" property required to be first? Is this what is being used to create the ordered list? Can more be added, e.g. [[sacred 2: NAME OF QUEST|NAME OF QUEST|CLASS|DIFFICULTY]]?

<snip>

Any tips on creating the t-map? I have found at times the t-map will remain open but don't know how to intentionally do this. I use FRAPS to capture screen images. The TAB key must be released before pressing the screen-capture key.

Heya Raster. "Sacred 2" is indeed required. It's the namespace that all Sacred 2 content pages belong to. For organizing lists it depends on the type of list. If it's a Category listing of quests you're talking about then what can be done is to change the Category slightly at the bottom of the quest pages.

The Eaten Cow's has two Category it is associated to.

[[Category:Sacred 2 Side Quest]]
[[Category:Sacred 2 Quest]]

If you add a | and a letter the quest's name will be placed in order alphabetically based on whatever letter you added after. The Eaten Cow quest should be in order based on the letter T. To do this you could change the above mentioned Categories to the following:

[[Category:Sacred 2 Side Quest|T]]
[[Category:Sacred 2 Quest|T]]

All that was added was |T. (The | is not a small letter L or a capital I by the way. Its the bar sign. The key found above the Enter key on your keyboard.)

To keep the Tab Map open you need to set it to Persistent from your GUI controls. It's point #7 on the GUI Descriptions page. :pitcher:

A small note to add to what Schot said about organizing quests. As this is a wiki, the amount of flexibility we have is enormous. Once each quest in the game has it`s own unique page, and can be found by its unique quest title, it then becomes relatively easy to sort out, thread out, organize, categorize the quests through area, alphabetical order, difficulty, interest, npc, you name it., the possiblities are endless. For example, the first page of the wiki quest index page can be comprised of `sort buttons`that can sort out quests in any way we can imagine, no hassle.

:pitcher:

gogo

<snip>

Any tips on creating the t-map? I have found at times the t-map will remain open but don't know how to intentionally do this. I use FRAPS to capture screen images. The TAB key must be released before pressing the screen-capture key.

hmm, I also use FRAPS for image capture, but it's fine with me holding the tab key down whilst I do it... maybe set your bind to another key? Mine is currently F10...I don't think that's used for anything in sacred 2...

Edit: for some keyboards the | is to the left of the Z key... (it's the symbol you get if you hold down SHIFT and press \ even though on the key it looks like it has a gap in the middle...)

Edited by ZGold

Is there a way to display the quests without "Sacred 2:" at the beginning of the quest name? For instance:

* Navigation Crystals

* Playing with Bears

* Poacher

* Pumpkin Kobold Heart Soup

* Purification of the Temple

Also please note the new side quest Poacher. I just completed this and am submitting it for your approval. There is one serious drawback. When clicking on a thumbnail, Photobucket opens instead of just the larger image. Bad! :D:bye:

Is there a way to display the quests without "Sacred 2:" at the beginning of the quest name? For instance:

* Navigation Crystals

* Playing with Bears

* Poacher

* Pumpkin Kobold Heart Soup

* Purification of the Temple

Also please note the new side quest Poacher. I just completed this and am submitting it for your approval. There is one serious drawback. When clicking on a thumbnail, Photobucket opens instead of just the larger image. Bad! :o:bye:

Hey Randall

For this link here

Navigation Crystals

The Sacred 2 in front of the name of the page as Schot has explained up above three posts, it is the name of the name space. All pages created within that name space are predicated by Sacred 2. This also helps google find pages if a search is started with Sacred 2 then the name of the quest.

You can post the pic of the thumnbnail you have, and then one of us can change it to the wiki dbase of images later. Can you post the thumbnail of what you have here? I can take a look at it to see what is happening.

Cheers

:D

gogo

I'm talking about the list of side quests found on this page. They are all preceeded with "Sacred 2".

The chapter 6 Poacher side quest is completed on the Wiki. Here are all thumbnails with image links to the full size:

th_startMissionMap.jpg

th_startMissionTMap.jpg

th_searchingTMapS1.jpg

th_searchingTMapS2.jpg

th_searchingTMapS3.jpg

Edited by gogoblender

EXAMPLE CODE OF SNIPPET TO CUT OUT:

Code with advertising snippet is this:

Example

First code is this:

th_startMissionMap.jpg

Code with snippet taken out is this:

th_startMissionMap.jpg

By editing this post you can see the difference. Delete everything from the = to the ? and it will display without advertising. :bye:

Edited by gogoblender
I'm talking about the list of side quests found on this page. They are all preceeded with "Sacred 2".

Sacred 2 is in the title name of the page, hence the inclusion. That page is being spawned as a category listing, no way to change that IMO unless we have categories spit out information differently... probably more coding required and perhaps custom coding as well .

If we're looking to have a neater assemblage of the links though, I don't see why we can't just create another page with the links all placed within it? This way we can choose how we want the links to look, and we'll get a better "feel" than the way Category listing is doing it.

The list however does progress in alphabetical fashion, so it's easy to read and get to any selected quest.

:bye:

gogo

p.s. regarding the pics, you can actually edit the links one by one to edit out the piece of code that is bringing in the advertising. If you look at another thumbnail that brings up an image correctly you can see that a snippet has been taken out by hand by the contributor. I'll post an example up in a few minutes directly into your last post so you can see the actual code :D

Sacred 2 is in the title name of the page, hence the inclusion. That page is being spawned as a category listing, no way to change that IMO unless we have categories spit out information differently... probably more coding required and perhaps custom coding as well . The list however does progress in alphabetical fashion, so it's easy to read and get to any selected quest.
Easy? Well OK, alphabetical? Yes :bye:

p.s. regarding the pics, you can actually edit the links one by one to edit out the piece of code that is bringing in the advertising. If you look at another thumbnail that brings up an image correctly you can see that a snippet has been taken out by hand by the contributor. I'll post an example up in a few minutes. :o
ewww, ahhhh. You know I did a comparison but I missed that, I'm getting old or need new glasses or both... thanx :D

OK guys the Poacher quest has been updated. Let me know if the large images (size and resolution) are OK. Or if there is anything else you would like to see changed.

Edited by RasterOps

I'll check it now, got a link please?

gogo

p.s. Regarding the Category Listing, that output is more one of functionality than aesthetics I guess. I do agree that having Sacred 2 in front of everything is not all that nice, however if we're looking to have a neater assemblage of the links though, I don't see why we can't just create another page with the links all placed within it? This way we can choose how we want the links to look, and we'll get a better "feel" than the way Category listing is doing it.

I'll check it now, got a link please?

gogo

p.s. Regarding the Category Listing, that output is more one of functionality than aesthetics I guess. I do agree that having Sacred 2 in front of everything is not all that nice, however if we're looking to have a neater assemblage of the links though, I don't see why we can't just create another page with the links all placed within it? This way we can choose how we want the links to look, and we'll get a better "feel" than the way Category listing is doing it.

I edited the above post and am including the Poacher quest link here.

I can understand how using the category listing feature is convenient. A second custom page would mean adding links to two separate pages and could be slightly more work. It might be easy to forget to add a new quest to one or the other. Personally, I would prefer to see the list of quests without the category, it's redundant. I would also volunteer to create the new page although I know little about wiki editing. If we were to vote, I say a new separate page and a book on how to create a Wiki for dummies. :D

The page has already been made actually, I just went through the SacredWiki Quest pages.

First page is main Quest page here:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Quests

Go down the page to the second link and then you get to :

Side Quests:

That page leads you to a true listing of Side quests (Not the Category functionality which is further down the page and is the functionality that produces side quests as elements of a category) here:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Side_Quests

So with the set up the way it is running now, we have two ways of having the wiki produce Side Quest listing data:

1. Side Quests via True Page
  2. Side Quest via Category Listing ( With the words Sacred 2 in front of each Quest Listing which you don't like)

The Category Listing only grows when someone makes a code addition to the bottom Side Quest that is entered into Side Quests Via True Page.

Is the Side Quests via True page the kind of page you are looking to work with? It has Side quests properly structured, no Sacred 2 in front of each listing either.

:)

gogo

p.s. The Pix look great! You got all the evil snippets out (cheers from the crowd!)

Brilliant work Raster. Your work on the maps and logbook(I noticed how nicely you cut it out. ^^) is quite nice. Screenshots are my fave though. Looks like you're playing in Elite Textures. :)

You mean you want them sorted like this?(I'm aware of a couple wich are wrongly places at the "S", but I didn't add all the pics, nor did I noticed earlier...scratch that, I did it now took a while to find all of the wrong ones...been thinking 4 times I was done and then noticing one more...)

You can do that by specifically adding the |L (for example) to the category link, just as Schot explained a bit higher on the page. Only problem I had with doing it this way is that the items that start with the same letter are no longer listed alfabetically( but every one starting with an A is sorted at A at least)

Arp

Edited by Arperum