Need a good series/trilogy to read

Was wondering if anyone has a really good fantasy series they've read lately..authors I've basically read everything of include, Tolkien, Eddings, Jordan, Kurtz, Donaldson, G. Martin, T. Brooks, Roberson, P. Anthony, T. Williams etc

Looking for something similar to those writers. Hit Barnes and Noble the other day but didn't see anything interesting

Heya Knuckles,

seems you're reading the very same books I do....

Guessing you've read these?

Chronicles of Belgarion and Mallorea - Eddings

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

Sword of truth - Goodkind

A song of ice and fire - George R.R. Martin

The Death Gate Cycle - Weiss and Hickman

Riftwar - Raymond E Feist

Dragonlance - Weiss and Hickman ?

These are some of the best series I've read.... not counting LOTR and Dune. Big chance you've read them all though.

Greetz

Besides Tolkien, the best written fantasy trilogies I've read are:

R.R. Martin

There's a good bit of intrigue, character development, and cruelty. Yes Viginia, good people die.

Tadd Williams

Dragonbone chair Trilogy. I loved the atmospheric writing, lots of big battles, epic adventure, decent prose.

:P

gogo

My personal suggestion is the Second Sons Trilogy by Jessica Fallon. Intrigue and intelligence are the weapons of the main character, which is a nice departure from the norm (where those can certainly be found depending on the character, but usually to a much lesser extent).

Roger Zelazny is probably the best SF/Fantasy Author I have ever read. If you want a series, try his Chronicles of Amber series (5 books). There is a follow-up series of another 5 which I did not like as much, but which was still excellent. There is a lot of mythology (not just Greek) in his books. Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness are both really good as well.

Harry Harrison is another really good author. He has a bunch of books that could loosely be called a series about the Stainless Steel Rat. I really liked Stonehenge: Where Atlantis Died.

Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Books are good. I would start with Elric, then Corum, then Hawkmoon, and then the others if you feel like reading them all. There are quite a few (20?) in all.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. It is a little different than the norm, but the characters are interesting and the writting style is one of the most original I have come across. The first three books are great.

Hes not fantasy but I would recomend James Rollins. If you thought Dan Brown was good , I think Rollins is better...

Have you tried Mercedes Lackey? I have most to almost all of her books (she has alot out there so I have a hard time keeping up with her.)

Keep coming with the great ideas everyone...I'm an avid reader so waiting for series like the 'Wheel of Time" to finish or for the next book in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is driving me crazy.

Read some of Lackey's books, but haven't read anything by her in last 4-5 yrs.

Reading the Minotaur Wars trilogy by Richard Knaak. He's a pretty reliable story-teller, and he wrote a few DragonLance books.

If you want to try other genres, the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy is pretty good. Then there is the horror series by Brian Lumley. Or if you want to spend a LONG time on the series, you can try the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Edited by DaveO
Or if you want to spend a LONG time on the series, you can try the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Think I've read all the Pern ones unless she had a new series come out in the last few years

Hrm.. Mistborn by Brian Sanderson was quite good... other than that... I'd have to unpile books to find more.

I do agree about the Second Sons Trilogy by Fallon.

I love David Gemmel, just began reading his Chronicles of the Drenai again, beginning with "Waylander".

Though I read em all in Dutch, I rly should try to find his books in English, which would be better I think.

cheers!

Chareos Ra,tras

you guys have mentioned a bunch of good writers,I have read most of the series you guys have talked about with the sword of truth series being my favorite so far.

I know what you mean about the george rr martin series its taking forever.try theses on

tigana by guy gavriel kay-heroic fantasy-hauntingly sad

kushiels dart by jacqueline carey-its what Im reading now,its a bit slow but very intriguing

the innocent mage by karen miller its two books so far,well done the main char is very refreshing-she also writes another triology called empress the first book is great.

eberron-its a game world by wizards of the coast.its a great world,most books are triliogies,quick reads,gallows humor,the war forged are awesome,my only problem is that they dont release books fast enough-they are that good.

the vampire earth series by e e knight-earth gets taken over by vampires and humans are fighting back,fast paced and intelligent.

crossroads series and the kings dragons series by kate elliot-both great series usually 7 books to a series Im waiting on the 3 book in crossroads.

scar night by alan campbell very good dark steampunk this guy worked on the grand theft auto series.

Im sure I will come up with more later but I think this is a good start for now.

Roger Zelazny is probably the best SF/Fantasy Author I have ever read. If you want a series, try his Chronicles of Amber series (5 books). There is a follow-up series of another 5 which I did not like as much, but which was still excellent. There is a lot of mythology (not just Greek) in his books. Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness are both really good as well.

Harry Harrison is another really good author. He has a bunch of books that could loosely be called a series about the Stainless Steel Rat. I really liked Stonehenge: Where Atlantis Died.

Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Books are good. I would start with Elric, then Corum, then Hawkmoon, and then the others if you feel like reading them all. There are quite a few (20?) in all.

Zelazny is really great. I thought the first 3 amber books were best, though. But his short stories are excellent. A Rose for Ecclesiastes is probably the best story I will ever read. Harrison has a lot of humor in his work -- a much lighter read in general.

C. J. Cherryh wrote a series around a character named Morgaine. Excellent fantasy stuff. And her Foreigner series (now 3 sets of 3) is fantastic -- but more oriented toward hard science than fantasy. Her Faded Sun trilogy was excellent, too. Now that Zelazny has passed, she may be the best living f/sf author around.

And of course, for harder science type sf, Niven/Pournelle collaborate on really magnificent stuff. I read anything by the pair as soon as it is out. (When they add a third partner -- e.g. Barnes -- I don't find the work as compelling. Nor do I much like Pournelle as a solo either).

I can't think of any fantasy author who I like more than GRR Martin, but while waiting for his next book I would suggest maybe trying Mickey Zucker Reichert, starting with The Last of the Renshai. If you've never read anything by Anne Rice I would suggest giving her older stuff a try, if you don't mind vampires who do more talking than fighting. SM Stirling is also good, I would recommend starting with "Dies The Fire". Not the deepest characters in the world, but a very interesting and well-researched backdrop for them to kill eachother on.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone....many I've read but several I have not heard of at all. Hopefully my list of favorite authors will grow after I pick up a few of these series :D

kushiels dart by jacqueline carey-its what Im reading now,its a bit slow but very intriguing

+1. Kushiel's Dart is one of two books that has caused me to miss a day of work, as I couldn't stop reading it until I finished it (about when the sun was rising the next day). I am not quite as enamoured with the later books in the series. They are good, but IMO they didn't match the quality of the first, as a lot of the tension that really drove that first book was lost. Still, at least read the first.

C. J. Cherryh wrote a series around a character named Morgaine. Excellent fantasy stuff. And her Foreigner series (now 3 sets of 3) is fantastic -- but more oriented toward hard science than fantasy. Her Faded Sun trilogy was excellent, too. Now that Zelazny has passed, she may be the best living f/sf author around.

I like Cherryh more for sci-fi than fantasy, myself. To be honest, I think that she is the best author that I have seen in creating alien psyches and working out the implications of the interactions with them. Faded Sun is one good example. My preferred is the Chanur Saga. One of my favourite authors, so I'll add my agreement to this suggestion.

Had another thought, have you read any of orson scott cards stuff? Alot has a bit of humor to it and I havent read anything of his that was bad ...

Had another thought, have you read any of orson scott cards stuff? Alot has a bit of humor to it and I havent read anything of his that was bad ...

Enders Shadow, one of my favorites.

Good call, Geneut :D

reminds Jet it might be time for a trip to waldenbooks..

Jet

again you guys have metioned some awesome authors.I have a few more

anything orson scott card

steven burst really funny stuff and very witty

david eddings -anything by him but my favorite being the elenium series-sir sparhawk tottally rules ,again very funny dark gallows humor

vampire hunter d-byhideyuki kikuchi-if you liked the anime youll like the books

wayfarer redemption series by sara dougles the first couple of books are great

legends a complamation of stories written by the authors who created the respective worlds every story is fantastic my favorites being the terry gookind,robert jordan,terry prachitt stories

terry prachitt- his stuff is a parody of fantasy but very vey funny stuff-granny weatherwax is my favorite

dont worry I ll think of more-enjoy

I have severall writers that I like, but one that has impressed me the most the last few years is

James Clemens. I am curently reading the fourth novel from The Banned and the Banished (The Wit’ch War Saga)

http://www.fantasyliterature.net/clemensjames.html

He wrote more books so you might want to take a look at the official website as well. :P

http://www.jamesclemens.com/index.htm

Edited by Arafinwe