Eye of the Storm: a Hybrid Inquisitor Build

How many mobs do you ordinarily pull? Try not to get in over your head until you get more comfortable with the class. Grabbing 50 mobs and blowing them up simultaneously is tons of fun, but you can't just stand there and let them group up on you either. The trick is staying in motion avoiding as many attacks as possible while forcing the enemies to group up for the Area of Effect bomb. Running in roughly circular patterns just out of the enemies' reach works well for me until I'm ready to attack. If you aren't comfortable with all of that, taking enemies as they come in the small groups of 2-4 may work better for you, in which case, melee will also be a more efficient way to deal with them.

I think I may have stumbled upon something interesting. All my damage mods on buffs (in this case "sphere" for 'reverse polarity') do FAR less damage than is advertised in the wiki. Granted I only have it at level 4, but the advertised damage is 21+10.5 CA level magic damage. But I checked the damage, and even with points sunk into INT, *and* AS lore in the high teens, the damage on the sphere is 37-37. That's a joke, and I have the feeling it is supposed to be significant.

or you know, maybe the person whoe wrong the guide had level 200 stats...

but to answer you question, the Inquisitor pulls a lot fo mobs, becasue the CM_LA combo does not work well with only 3-4 enemies (works best with 10-12). My problem isn't mobs really, it's bosses, and so I guess I just have to try and hold out until 50, then grab toughness.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so, the numbers on the wiki are off what the 360 version provides in terms of damage from mods like 'sphere.' That's a little frustrating. Not just for me - I imagine other 360 players read the guides.

On the plus side things are looking up for the inquisitor. I killed a boss and said boss did not even come close to killing me. That's the second one now. Which is a welcome change! I still have attack rating issues (I do have -evade, -no chance to evade slotted, but probably not enough). Not quite sure how I will beat the end bosses, but hopefully I can figure something out. Oh, and I gots to buy some more potions. I was getting stunlocked in the dryad area...very 'unfortch" the reflect saved the day, but I went through...150 potions? trying to stay alive. To think I had 1000 at one point.

Yes sphere damage from RP (and deathmagic from SR) do not do as much damage as advertised on the wiki. Both of these mods' damage is boosted by PC for those who like to play at low HP for whatever that's worth (anyone like to do that? Didn't think so). Anyway, IMO even if you can get those mods to put out very good damage, they're still flawed because they require you to get surrounded for full effect. The Inquisitor does not want to stand still in a sea of enemies while they beat on him just so his auras can do damage. In order to make that worth pursuing, the auras would need to effectively 1 or 2 shot what they hit (edit: you won't ever be able to pull this off btw). Otherwise you'll always be better off using a normal attack to kill quicker while taking less damage.

Damaging auras like this would be much more attractive on a SW or something, but the Inquisitor is just too inherently squishy to stand there and intentionally take a beating. Sure you could pump SR to high levels and get your defense sky high so at least that sea of enemies doesn't steamroll you, but the auras will still take forever to kill them.

Its compounded by the fact that you've got to give up "magic reflection" from RP to get sphere. Magic reflect includes CAs used by enemies, and CAs are generally the single most damaging type of attack. In fact, not having the ability to reflect CAs is at least contributing partially to your difficulties with bosses.

Generally, take everything the wiki says with a grain of salt; its wrong quite a lot, especially the "strategy" sections at the bottom (whoever wrote the Purifying Chastisement "strategy guide" had no idea what they were talking about for one and their tone came across like Gospel, which makes it even worse). Its best to test things yourself, or at least listen to opinions and experiences of others rather than just believing the wiki. Its a place to start, and really that's all it is.

Anyways, glad to hear things are going more smoothly lately.

Edited by MTCityHunter
Yes sphere damage from RP (and deathmagic from SR) do not do as much damage as advertised on the wiki. Both of these mods' damage is boosted by PC for those who like to play at low HP for whatever that's worth (anyone like to do that? Didn't think so). Anyway, IMO even if you can get those mods to put out very good damage, they're still flawed because they require you to get surrounded for full effect. The Inquisitor does not want to stand still in a sea of enemies while they beat on him just so his auras can do damage. In order to make that worth pursuing, the auras would need to effectively 1 or 2 shot what they hit (edit: you won't ever be able to pull this off btw). Otherwise you'll always be better off using a normal attack to kill quicker while taking less damage.

Damaging auras like this would be much more attractive on a SW or something, but the Inquisitor is just too inherently squishy to stand there and intentionally take a beating. Sure you could pump SR to high levels and get your defense sky high so at least that sea of enemies doesn't steamroll you, but the auras will still take forever to kill them.

Its compounded by the fact that you've got to give up "magic reflection" from RP to get sphere. Magic reflect includes CAs used by enemies, and CAs are generally the single most damaging type of attack. In fact, not having the ability to reflect CAs is at least contributing partially to your difficulties with bosses.

Gah. I am very sorry to hear the one mod I did not take (magic reflect) is the one that is going to screw me the most. This game...punishes you for making even one poor choice. The one place aura does help is when I have enemies in lockdown with IS. (they both do magic damage). If I can get to the point where IS and Sphere are hitting pretty hard then I can lock down a boss

Dumb question but I gotta ask - is there any skill that can reflect magic CAs?

No, but you can always look for some %reflect: combat arts gear to help compensate a little. You could also get the spell resistance skill, but it won't actually reflect CAs. As I understand it, the mastery effect attached to that skill doesn't work properly though, so that makes it somewhat less attractive. I can never find room for it in my builds anyway though...

You may be able to use the auras for good offensive effect, especially if you get the SR one also, boost magic damage, use hallow, and actually utilize the enraged damage bonus from PC. It may not actually be all that suicidal in a single target situation where you're locking the target down with IS. I wouldn't rely on them in an Area of Effect situation though, or if the Boss has friends :)

It could work, its just not my preference...

No, but you can always look for some %reflect: combat arts gear to help compensate a little. You could also get the spell resistance skill, but it won't actually reflect CAs. As I understand it, the mastery effect attached to that skill doesn't work properly though, so that makes it somewhat less attractive. I can never find room for it in my builds anyway though...

You may be able to use the auras for good offensive effect, especially if you get the SR one also, boost magic damage, use hallow, and actually utilize the enraged damage bonus from PC. It may not actually be all that suicidal in a single target situation where you're locking the target down with IS. I wouldn't rely on them in an Area of Effect situation though, or if the Boss has friends :D

It could work, its just not my preference...

I'm really hoping the melee/ranged reflect can help make this work. of ocurse, without Focus my Max level without penalty will be lower, but...

PS: I notices some interesting boss behavior. When you slow down thier physical attacks beyond a certain point, they switch to magic attacks (which I am weak too). food for thought...

Hi,

this is a very interesing build that I tried to do with my first character in Sacred 2. However, I made too many bad choices in Skills and AC modd. I'll make a new one, following information from this guide. Therefore, I have a question: what do you think about Riding ? Maybe in place of Bargaining ? Or bonus given by level 75 Riding is useless in this build ?

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your experience ;)

Edited by Th3orY
Hi,

this is a very interesing build that I tried to do with my first character in Sacred 2. However, I made too many bad choices in Skills and AC modd. I'll make a new one, following information from this guide. Therefore, I have a question: what do you think about Riding ? Maybe in place of Bargaining ? Or bonus given by level 75 Riding is useless in this build ?

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing your experience :whistle:

I mean, I'm not generally a big fan of Riding, and I think its especially hard to fit into a hybrid build where you're stretched rather thin already, but if there's one class that could use it its Inquisitor since the spider is the slowest mount. You may be able to make it work for you, but to fit riding in, I'd probably also try to make a more focused build.

• 7 months later...

Hey, nice guide. Inquisitor was the class I first played a lot, but was mostly GI focused, this guide has inspired me to pick it up again, this time as a one man army obliterator =) (the RT>CM>LA bomb to be precise).

I just need to ask about the order of mastery, which skills did you aim to have mastered by 75? It seems odd having no def skills early on, I might consider swapping bargaining and armour lore. What do you suggest? Oh yea, I should add that I delete characters if they die once, just so you know surviving is quite important for me :)

Cheers

• 4 months later...

I must admit I do love the Inquisitor I have 3 of him already each kitted out to be a DW master each focusing solely on a single aspect im thinking of building a mage variant instead of having DW I will take mage staffs instead and see how he fairs