How Reliable is your ISP?

I'm sitting here in North Carolina right now watching a huge line of thunderstorms creeping in from the west. I can hear the thunder now and see flashes in the distance. It'll be upon us in less than an hour and sure as heck my Cable ISP will go out. Some stupid tree limb will fall thru a cable line somewhere and knock out both the Cable and the Internet connection. I've seen this before and nearly everytime we get these severe T-storms the internet goes out for hours. I've already fleet saved for the duration and may miss out on some opportunities for raids, but playing it safe.

What's everybody else have for an ISP and how reliable is it? Do you get frequent outages? And are there alternatives?

My ISP is usually very good. But of late have been upgrading the line speed which has been playing merry hell with the connection. Also coupled with failing equipment at my end, thus I am not sure how much to blame my ISP

Our ISP is pretty reliable but I never thought about what I would do if the power went out!

/oooo /oooo /oooo

Good idea to fleetsave in an electrical storm, I guess....eeeek!!

Guest gogoblender

Pretty reliable

We have three peeps here playin ogame and surfing and using dsl all at the same time.

Dsl almost never goes down no matter what. It's just that it's speed kinda sux now.

My friend told me that dsl isn't truly a broad band, cable bein the only one.

So...the furthre you are away from a dsl the worse it gets.

When we tried to contact our isp provide with our speed problems we got a fair answer though. The dude told me that they charge for dsl for a speed range.

NOt an absolute.

So...as it turns out...we are on the worst end of the signal strength for dsl , but we can technically be charged for dsl service.

lol, they say that the speed is goin up soon fer free to a 5 mb signal

they say

/rolleyes

gogo

p.s. btw, cel, man...with that kind of knockdown goin on with yer internet, I'd be paranoid all teh time.

lol, I bet you know all the closest internet cafes nearby.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

My ISP is pretty stable. I've been using this cable for my broadband since it became available in the area... so about 6 years. Of course, it goes out when cable goes out, but cable hasn't gone out very often in that time frame... and I can't surf while the power's out, as there's no power to the modem. But, all in all, it's been pretty reliable and speed has been pretty good to adaquate.

There is dialup and DSL available, but I like my static IP cable :)

Last week I would have said very stable but the ISP has been down for 3 days already. /diablo My brother in law who happens to work in a sister company of that ISP said they are undergoing repairs and the damage is big. Imagine internet is down in 3 cities!! /cry /cry /cry

ISP is doin great. NOW! /woot

Me'n'gogo have been debating a change in ISP providing for at least a year now I think. Reason being is that I want mah online fps games to run better, hehe. Throughout the year we've been calling our provider, Bell Sympatico Broadband in Montreal, to b****, whine and complain about our connection speed. To which they've always responded, "I'm very sorry sir but there isn't a better package/connection speed available for your area...". We were told previously that there are five levels of braodband connection from Sympatico. Ours was the crapiest, fattest big O'l zero of a connection because of our location. We're only 3 mins away from the core of Montreal fer cryin out loud! /crazy

Well today I'm playing away in Quake 4 land being bombarded by nails, rockets, lasers, you name it, twitching away like a mad man when gogo turns to me and says, "Should we call Bell to give them thear last chance?".

Well after much dodging and shooting, I have a heard time making decisions under pressure /lmao , I struggle out a single word... "YES!"

Haha, well good on gogo. He came through with dah goods! /bow

We've gone from crawling around the net at LESS THAN 1meg connection speed to flying across it in style at, (...and I tested our connection speed at three dif connection speed testing sites :faerie: ), an O so wonderful 4.5meg connection speed! /yay Yippee! /yay

To give you an idea it used to take 5 mins or more to completely download an Apple.com trailer. Now it takes 30secs!

So now every bullet that I fire sings loud and clear on its way to its target. Right between their eyes!

Woot! /guns

Guest gogoblender

seriously...the speed we're gettin now is freaking crazy

lol, I never knew how fast a dsl could be!

hmmm, I think I'll start up a speed thread....

I'm kinda curious now to see how many mb's everyone here is getting

^_^

gogo

This morning, using C-net Bandwidth tester, I was getting 433 Kbps. That's acceptable, I suppose. Though, in theory I'm supposed to have a 10Mb connection.

I am the swedish telia.com and their server has only been down twice during 6 years, got 8095/1024 mbits, and when using a reliable measuretool provided from the swedish state I get 97% of that bandwidh. up /down.

unfortenaly not are we not able to get fibre in this old building so this is the limit reached.. price ca 57 US $/month

hmmmm

I just tested this link that gogo found

and I got 4.1 megabits per second. I think that's great, but if a tree falls on the cable line will anybody hear me yell when I can't fleet save...