Does anyone here use Twitter?

I have no idea what it does, how it works...but I keep hearing lots about it. Anyone here getting good use for it, and could explain what's going on with it?

:o

gogo

I Use It.

And Its A Blast.

LOL I...Ashamedly...Have Become A Tweet Addict.

You Just Make An Account, And Follow People That You Know. Then You Get Updates From Them. And They Will Follow You, And Then They Will Get Updates From You.

You Can Also Hook It Up To Your Phone, Text Twitter, And It Will Update Your Twitter From Your Phone.

Any Other Questions, Just Ask Me.

-Jamie.

God, I know how you feel gogo,

When I first made an account, I started fooling around and all that, but whoa, was it ever tedious.

Like, its not Facebook, I can tell you that,

its like, more of a toddlers version of Facebook :)

But I started following people, like famous stars (R.Kelly etc. :) ) and its very interesting to see what THEY have to write before you get all your friends to join.

But for me, 90% of all my friends either dont have Twitter, or absolutely hate it.

So, yea, gogo, your at the normal stage for Twitter users ;):D

I don't use it, currently, but Twitter is being added to the Xbox 360 in the next dashboard update. I suspect I'll have to make an account once that happens. Then I can "tweet" about all of my Sacred 2 stuff, as it happens! :)

GoGo:

Twitter allows users to send up-to 140 character messages to their profile and anyone who is 'following' them can read these messages. The idea is to say what you are doing. In facebook terms, it is like having only the status [What's on your Mind?] box and instead of friends, who are mutually agreed upon, anyone can be a follower.

So your Twitter feed would look like (most recent first):

Egg McMuffin coming back up. :hugs:

12:43 PM Jul 16th from web

I don't think the bacon was cooked. :o

12:40 PM Jul 16th from web

Mmmmm, it is delicious! :hugs:

12:23 PM Jul 16th from web

I just got an Egg McMuffin and am heading to a table. :unsure:

12:21 PM Jul 16th from web

Standing in line at McDonalds. :agreed:

12:18 PM Jul 16th from web

:D

- Ike

lol, Ike... you always crack me up man. I have to ask though..I know you're busy... do you have time for twitter in your life? Are you finding it gives some extra edge through it's use? I know that in a few other forums I visit everyone is going on and on about Twitter...but when I look at their forums, their communities are smallish. For a community as big as we have here, think us adding Twitter functionality could help in a way that won't compete with our most important focus, posts on the forum?

:drinks:

gogo

Given that there is that 140 character limit on Twitter, I don't think you'd see too many issues there, gogo... people will still have to come into the forum to do a proper post about the vast majority of topics, I would think. Tough to get an idea across in 2 lines of text, you know? :woot:

@GoGo: I don't use Twitter, personally. My view is it is for extroverts who feel a need to be in constant contact with their friends. The kind of people you see with a cellphone glued to their ear or a bluetooth in one. On a roller-coaster at an amusement park and talking on the phone ("yeah, I can talk . . ."). Just not my thing. I am fine being by myself without a constant stream of conversation. :woot:

I'm not sure what useful function it would have here. Of course, clever people often find useful ways to use any technology, so who knows?

- Ike

I don't use Twitter, personally. My view is it is for extroverts who feel a need to be in constant contact with their friends.

I approve of this statement. MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are destroying my/our generation from the inside out.

Fight the power. :)

Edited by Sych

I read a brilliant newspaper article a little while ago which I found to be hillarious regarding twitter

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/you-could-br...bi.html?page=-1

You could bring back the hula hoop if you found a way of connecting it to the net

* Richard Glover

* March 21, 2009

TWITTER is a social networking site that allows you to answer (in 140 characters or fewer) the question: "What are you doing now?" Yesterday no one had heard of Twitter. Today half the world has signed on with Twitter. Tomorrow Twitter will be dead. Has anyone else noticed how fast we're getting through our fads?

I hate giving advice to young people but when I was your age we'd make a good fad last at least six months. We got a whole year of fun out of totem tennis. We spun 10 months out of the yo-yo. Even speed reading lasted four months - which is pretty remarkable when you consider how quickly we got through the manual.

I'm as fad-hungry as the next spiritually empty materialist but the speed of uptake has become ridiculous. People hear there's a new e-fad and realise with horror they are not part of it. Their face dissolves into something akin to The Scream by Edvard Munch. "Oh my God. I think I'm dying. Quick. How do I log on?"

Twitter, in particular, is like the last frantic dance before the sinking of the Titanic. Thousands are joining Twitter every second. They are like e-lemmings off an e-cliff. People are desperate to be part of it.

Once they've signed on, they get to send constant text messages to their friends, detailing their current activity. Stuff like: "I just had breakfast." And: "I am running late for the bus." And: "I just missed the bus on account of stopping to send that last message on Twitter."

Why anyone signs up to receive these messages I can't imagine. It's like living with a three-year-old who wants to inform you every time she does a poo. We used to have a name for what is now called "Twittering". It was called "narcissistic personality disorder".

Twitter, I imagine, will be a success for about three months. Then, just as quickly as it began, everyone will get over it. They'll become ex-Twitters. "Yes", they'll say, "once upon a time I Twatted." Or, more simply: "I was a Twat."

It will then be time to cue the next fad. Naturally it will have to possess some connection with the internet. The internet makes the most boring things enticing. Throw in a mobile phone as well and people just about dissolve in a lather of sexual excitement.

Watching television news for nothing? Oh, how boring. Watching the same television news on your mobile phone, while sitting on the bus and being charged per second for the privilege? "Ohhh, ohhh, don't stop, this is so amazing." You could bring back the hula hoop if you found a way of connecting it to the net and a phone.

On television they are now advertising a new mobile phone "app" that allows you to point your mobile phone at a radio and be told the name of the song that's playing.

This is tremendously exciting news. It means you no longer have to wait 30 seconds for the radio station to back-announce the title of the song. These are precious seconds you can use later to find a cure for cancer. Plus you won't have to turn to your friends and say: "Hey friends, what's that song?"

Instead the phone does all the work, in the process making the song so much sexier and more interesting than it was before you thought to get your mobile phone involved. Even better, you can then purchase the song, also using your mobile phone, the very thought of which makes me quite delirious with sexual arousal.

The term "app", of course, lends its own glamour to proceedings. In this context "app" stands for "apparently simple way to get people to spend money at iTunes on an ill-considered whim". The term "app" is also useful for advertisers, as it frees them from employing the phrase "another ruinously expensive gimmick designed to push you into penury".

I've lived through too many fads to get excited about all this stuff. The 1970s were full of innovations that were meant to change the world forever but then retreated to the fringe, providing little more than a safe habitat for nutters. To my mind, Twitter is just the colonic irrigation of 2009.

The one good thing: we are now going through our fads so fast, we'll be forced to circle back and reinvigorate the old ones. Naturally, in order to be fresh and glamorous, we'll have to work in a mobile phone and the internet.

I'd like to see the 1970s chest freezer make a comeback. Point your mobile at the piece of frozen meat down the bottom of the freezer and it will phone you back with the use-by date. Press the antenna close and it will decode whether it is beef or lamb and email you a recipe. You could then cook the thing on a vertical grill, using the "George Foreman temp app" on your iPhone.

Afterwards, we'll all make chocolate fondue and sit alone in our houses eating the stuff, while Twittering each other about the taste. Work up a mobile phone version of Twister, the prawn cocktail and the K-tel record selector and we'll have a whole new decade of fads ready to go.

It really is tremendously exciting living in the age of the telephone.

I read a brilliant newspaper article a little while ago which I found to be hillarious regarding twitter

(Quote omitted for length)

While I share that viewpoint in some respects, I can't help but feel it's got a "Hey you kids get off my lawn" tone of bitterness coming from a 40- or 50-something left in the technological dust, and he'd just as soon complain about video games, solar power, or whatever the current 21st century technology is. Devilishly clever using Twitter as a scapegoat though.

(Quote omitted for length)

While I share that viewpoint in some respects, I can't help but feel it's got a "Hey you kids get off my lawn" tone of bitterness coming from a 40- or 50-something left in the technological dust, and he'd just as soon complain about video games, solar power, or whatever the current 21st century technology is. Devilishly clever using Twitter as a scapegoat though.

Oh I don't view it that way Sych, I put it down to Australian humour :thumbsup:

Oh I don't view it that way Sych, I put it down to Australian humour :whistle:

Must just be my American skepticism of everything that's ... not American then. :thumbsup:

Oh I don't view it that way Sych, I put it down to Australian humour :lol:

Must just be my American skepticism of everything that's ... not American then. :thumbsup:

What can I say :whistle::smart: those Americans :blush::gun2:

Edited by Funkilicious

Just be careful what links you click on "over there" W32.Koobface.C is still doing the marathon over at Twitter

def dont clisk on anyone of this

* My home video :whistle:

* Watch my new private video! LOL :smart:

* michaeljackson' testament on youtube

koobface.jpg

and as anywhere else on the internet be very careful what .exe files you downloads and runs on your computer :thumbsup:

(as a fast check you can search for "twitty" on you computer as Koobface uses this file name with a 2 digit number after Like "twitty01.exe")

I could care less that my friend 2 states away just took a shower and cut himself shaving......twitter is a fad that will hopefully go away as fast as it came to be......god help us all if it sticks around.