Sacred 2 - Quest Atlas of Ancaria

And to think I convinced myself that I'd only make one map when Sacred 2 came out... Yup! Another one. Another 12 in fact, and yes I am a glutton for punishment. :P

I've been wanting to make these maps for quite a while now and mostly because I wanted to provide a way for you all to see the maps as I do when I'm working on them. In full size. The maps up to this point have been about 10,000 pixels square such as the Interactive map and the Boss map but the map that I work on at home is quite a bit larger. 32,000 pixels. As you can imagine the 32K map provides far more detail and "zoom-ability". In order to do this what I've done is broken the map into it's regions and will be serving these maps as an Atlas. You'll be able to view these maps on a region by region basis and for some regions they have been cut down further into sub-regions because they're so large. I have to thank Zeno for motivating me on this project. It's because of his enthusiasm and productivity on the Places and Quests projects that I was so eager to get these region maps done. These maps are intended to function in conjunction with the SacredWiki Quest pages and the Places pages. I've already created markers for the different types of quests as well as a places marker. For the moment only Tyr Lysia and Artamark are complete which are a total of 5 region maps. The maps are; Western Tyr Lysia, Eastern Tyr Lysia, Western Artamark, Central Artamark and Eastern Artamark.

The categories I have created for the map legend are the following:

Category:

pin.png Places

quests.png Quests

Subcategory:

gold-.png

Campaign

grey-.png

Quests (General)

blue-.png

Class Quests (Has multiple icons. See below table)

deityquest.png

Deity Quests (Has multiple icons. See below table)

The icons I have created for marking the maps are the following:

Places:

14a5cb5c27e687.png

gold-.png Campaign grey-.png Quests (General) blue-.png Class Quests deityquest.png Deity Quests
lightcq.png Light grey-.png Side Quest seraq.png Seraphim Only lumen.png Lumen Only
darkcq.png Shadow bossquest.png Boss Quest swq.png Shadow Warrior Only kuan.png Kuan Only
lightshadow.png Light/Shadow Campaign eeq.png Easter Egg Quest drq.png Dryad Only kybele.png Kybele Only
lightorshadow.png Light/Shadow Side Quest sp.png Single Player Quest tgq.png Temple Guardian Only testa.png Testa Only
lightsq.png Light Path Side Quest heq.png High Elf Only forens.png Forens Only
darksq.png Shadow Path Side Quest inqq.png Inquisitor Only ker.png Ker Only

Alright! So here's the plan. The first of the maps is going to be made available for anyone to mark which will be Eastern and Western Tyr Lysia. These maps are only for quest and Place marking but the quests must be done first. The reason why is because maplib, where these maps are hosted, will only display a maximum of 60 markers at a time. Once we go over 60 markers they will be placed on a second page of markers which will require viewers to click on page 2 of the markers. For this reason I'm hoping that we will be able to mark the maps in such a way that Quests will be on the first page and Places will be on the second. If you'd like your name to appear within the marker description then what you can do is register at maplib.net and log in before creating markers on the maps.

How to mark the Quest Maps

1. Go to the Eastern Tyr Lysia Map or the Western Tyr Lysia Map
  2. Zoom in to the map to the place where the quest you want to mark begins
  3. Click on the Bmu.png icon and then click on the spot you want to mark in the map (window will appear for you to enter information about the marker after clicking on map position)
    th_MaplibMarking.jpg
  4. The Title should be exactly the same as it is written in the game
  5. Then choose the proper category based on the table above
  6. Then choose the proper marker based on the table above
  7. Finally this is where the maps will tie into the wiki:
  8. In the description you can mention some simple details but most important is to enter the name of the NPC that offers the quest and to create a link to the Quest's page on the wiki. If the NPC offers more than 1 quest then please enter the link to any quests it offers to the wiki. If the quest has not been written yet by all means feel free to write one but if you're just wanting to mark the map then feel free to simply link to it's red link on the wiki. For example, if you are marking the Artifact Theft quest you will notice that on the wiki it has not been written yet but that there is a link for it on the Side Quests page. You can create a link to the page by adding the name of the quest to the end of the below link. Images are welcome inside the description but please keep them small. Thumbnails are perfect:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred 2:

So the Artifact Theft quest link would be:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred 2:Artifact Theft

The Description area has functions much like the forum here such as a button for bold, underline, image and text links and so on.

Marking Places should follow a similar logic but we're only using one marker for them which will be much simpler to do. Again, when marking Places please link to it's page on the wiki.

That's more or less it! Don't be afraid to make mistakes. The is a test run and I'd like to see how things work out. If additional info or steps need to be added we'll adjust as we go along. The Eastern Tyr Lysia Map is open for business and accepting markers by the community! The rest of the maps will be made available after a bit of experimentation with this one.

Happy Marking! Hopefully this will prove to be an excellent way to visually document Quests and Places. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same, I went to try and add a quest or two (and found a few that weren't in the Wiki so can't do them yet) and the icons aren't available to us.

Also a small question, how do you plan to deal with chain quests (Say Undead Legion), just mark every quest individually, or going to put some sort of 'chain' between the various quests so that it has lines pointing from point to point.

I'm not quite sure how elaborate maplib is but I suspect in theory you could end up actually having each quest 'plotted' out eventually, but having the plotting aspect as an expansion off the quest when it's selected. (It'd be nice in theory at least)

I'm going to use my first post on this topic to say, again, what another first class work of reference you've put together for the Sacred 2 community. This tool is going to help reference the hundreds and hundreds of quests in the game, and make adventurers all over the globe raise their hands incheers.

Say no to Ascaron if/when they offer you a job Schot!

:D

gogo

Simply amazing! ;)

I may not be doing it correctly, but I couldnt find the icons you made under the icon section when placing a marker.

Same, I went to try and add a quest or two (and found a few that weren't in the Wiki so can't do them yet) and the icons aren't available to us.

Thank you for the kind words Slayer! :BlobRed:

Thanx for testing it out for me guys. After reading about your problems about finding the markers I went and tried it myself as a Guest. looks like the icons I have set up through my account aren't being offered to anyone else which is kind of a pain. What I've done is uploaded another set of icons which anyone will be able to use now. It'll take a few clicks though. You guys can now find the icons on page 22 and 23 of the icons page when creating a new marker. You just need to click on "All Shared Icons" and then click to page number 22 or 23. A slight pain but they're there now. ;)

Also a small question, how do you plan to deal with chain quests (Say Undead Legion), just mark every quest individually, or going to put some sort of 'chain' between the various quests so that it has lines pointing from point to point.

I'm not quite sure how elaborate maplib is but I suspect in theory you could end up actually having each quest 'plotted' out eventually, but having the plotting aspect as an expansion off the quest when it's selected. (It'd be nice in theory at least)

For chain quests and generally all quests we'll only be using one marker per quest to keep the number of markers used to a minimum. Maplib doesn't handle many markers very well. There are bugs here and there regarding markers and when there are more than 60 markers things tend to get a bit out of hand. So all quests will only have their start positions marked. We'll rely on the wiki to show readers the rest of the way through each quest. Oh and as for the vector markers they're a bit buggy too. Heh. So only icons please. Marker popups certainly can handle a great deal of information but I'd like to keep it simple and allow the wiki to do the detailed explanations.

I'm going to use my first post on this topic to say, again, what another first class work of reference you've put together for the Sacred 2 community. This tool is going to help reference the hundreds and hundreds of quests in the game, and make adventurers all over the globe raise their hands incheers.

Say no to Ascaron if/when they offer you a job Schot!

:)

gogo

Thanx for the kind praise gogo! Oh and yeah, I want my cookie allowance increased. And not that cheap no-name brand eh! :D

Thanx Viper. :blush:

One other question. How would you like the location handled if a different quest is given at the same spot depending on Light/Shadow campaign?

Good question Slayer. In the case of NPC's that offer multiple quests depending on Class, Deity, Campiagn and so on we'll use one marker. Within the marker description we'll type out the names of the quests that are offered by the NPC in order if there is one.

In the case of the the Campaign itself there will be points along the storyline where Light and Shadow paths will intersect upon an NPC or event. In those intersecting cases we should use the lightshadow.png icon and within the marker's popup description provide the links to each path's version of the quest on the wiki.

In the case of a quest that is only available in campaign mode AND has a Light version or Shadow version then we'll use the lightorshadow.png icon and link to the different versions on the wiki.

I'll be questing a bit today which will give me a chance to set up some examples. :)

Amazing effort!

I still need two monitors, then I could have 1 of these maps on 1 screen and my map showing over 500 quests completed on the other. Without it, the switching will slow me down if I was to help. Some of the towns get overrun with circles, I hope we can keep maps less cluttered (though much of the circle problem is due to npc's handing out chains of quests). Love to know if I am missing any quests, suspect 580 is about highest you can have.

Shame expansion is so close (Ok, not really) as it means more maps for you. I hope extra map makes getting 100% of map easier without having to have over 700vr gear. 80 is pretty easy now.

Edited by Colif

Hopefully, with the maps set up as per region, we'll be able to avoid cluttered markers. Hopefully... ^^ You know what would really help on this project though. If you could provide a screenshot of your map in game showing the quests. That would be a great help if you could manage that Colif. :thumbsup:

Oh and as far as I'm concerned Ascaron can take their time on the expansion. Yeesh!

P.s.

I've adjusted my account settings on Maplib so that anyone who is logged into Maplib will be able to edit the markers they add even after completing a marker.

If these pictures are too big, just tell me :thumbsup:

The top one is current character, he hasn't finished all the quests yet on dryad island. He is on light campaign.

topmaplightsw.jpg

bottommaplightsw.jpg

Next map is my dark SW who finished 580 quests.

topmapdarksw.jpg

bottommapdarksw.jpg

They don't perfectly line up but I am not you :whistle:

Edited by Colif

Schot,

I marked a few, problems so far:

- As of right now the Wiki doesn't have even red links on a lot of quests.

- After completing quests, the completion ring isn't always back with the quest giver (only matters when you are trying to go back and mark up the map after the fact)

- After completing quests the original quest giver isn't always shown in your log book (only matters when you are trying to go back and mark up the map after the fact)

- Some General Quests may differ in Shadow versus Light Campaigns... I don't know if they would be light only, or shadow only, or just start in different places, should we designate the marks as being made by a certain class/campaign, and when another class/opposite campaign can verify that they start in the same place, they can remove that designation?

For Instance, notice on the maps that Colif posted, down in the Seraphim valley area (SW of Sloeford) the light campaign has around 4 quests, and the shadow only has 1...

My first impression is that the Wiki really needs to be the backbone of this map. Have the map point be the point with a link to the wiki page, that would further explain who gives the quest, where, and whether it is available for both the shadow/light campaigns or not. I will keep marking up the maps to the best of my ability, and hopefully any errors or uncertainties can be worked through.

Also, I registered at both MapLib and here at Darkmatters just so I could contribute to this project, I am excited about it.

Jerm

- As of right now the Wiki doesn't have even red links on a lot of quests.

We have a long list of quests, but they havent been added yet as we'd like to figure out if the quests are for light/shadow or both.

Edited by Slayer89

Ah wonderful Colif! Just what I was hoping for. Thank you. :) Now that I've had a good look at good look at your maps something has come to mind. I have yet another request to your vast collection. Would you, could you maybe supply us with close ups showing just the Tyr Lysia? That would be cool so that I could count the quests in the Eastern and Western parts. :lol:

Awesome stuff!

@Jermane:

Welcome aboard Jermane! We could certainly use your help and I very much share your enthusiasm. This will be a great reference to have once all the kinks are worked out. Now to answer your questions which are quite important.

That's an unfortunate truth. For those not yet documented on the wiki we can leave out the link. In time we can come back to the markers and add a link in after the quest has been entered into the wiki.

For your second and third point we'll only be documenting start positions on the maps keeping in mind we'll be relying on the wiki to guide the rest of the way.

Forth point! For the Light/Shadow quests I think many of them will only appear in campaign mode so an easy way to check would be to see if the quest exists in Free Play mode. That may not be a perfect solution though... Having information in the markers never hurts and probably better to have too much info than not enough. I would think that your suggestion is a great one to apply. Mentioning class, deity and path of your character. For this I think that Colif's maps might be of great help discerning between the two paths.

On the whole the wiki is a very important aspect to this project and it is intended to rely heavily on it. For that reason I will probably focus my energy more on the wiki end and see if I can help document quests. The biggest part of this community project is tackling Tyr Lysia and Artamark. They appear to hold the majority of quests but once those are done it'll be smooth sailing.

Your questions bring up something that we need for the maps. A marker description template. So here's my proposal when writing a map marker:

Character Used: SW Forens Light

Game Mode: Single Player? Campaign? Free Play?

NPC Name: Wylmieni

Difficulty: 5 Star Chain Quest (leave out chain quest if it only has a single goal)

SacredWiki: Quest Not In Wiki Yet (Or if it is then provide a link)

Add other details or descriptions that may be of use but try to keep it short. If there's anything else feel free to suggest it. If not then we can stay with the above format for future markers. Oh and by the way, if you copy the template I made and paste it into a marker it will even paste the bolded lettering into the marker. Smart lil thing. ^^

Cheers and thank you all for the shared enthusiasm! :)

P.s.

Wow! I just saw the work you did on the Western Tyr Lysia map Jermane. Nice! It looks soooo cool. :whistle:

Would you, could you maybe supply us with close ups showing just the Tyr Lysia? That would be cool so that I could count the quests in the Eastern and Western parts.

I thought you would ask this as I thought of it last night but I was meant to be going to sleep at time so it stayed a thought.

Its hard to get a close scale. How about these:

Light campaign - I didn't kill white griffin but have noticed the mini boss quests don't have markers.

left1stzonelight.jpg

right1stzonelight.jpg

Dark campaign

left1stzone.jpg

right1stzonedark.jpg

Strange, I've ran all over the Seraphim Islands and only found 1 quest for my Inquisitor

You mean the main island or the 4 over the tunnels? if main, thats odd... but if the others, try in the tunnels as most of them start inside them. I normally go through both sides of tunnel system, as some quests aren't on the dark route. Only two of these quests are on the islands, the others happen in tunnels.

Another quick question. What do you want to do if a quest is a chain quest with multiple difficulties? Some quests start out at 1 star, go on to 2 or 3 or more.

Do we list the most difficult, or just what the difficulty is for the start of the chain?

Examples of these quests would be Judriel and Romdreal and The Alchemist, both in Thylysium.

Jerm

Another quick question. What do you want to do if a quest is a chain quest with multiple difficulties? Some quests start out at 1 star, go on to 2 or 3 or more.

Do we list the most difficult, or just what the difficulty is for the start of the chain?

Examples of these quests would be Judriel and Romdreal and The Alchemist, both in Thylysium.

Jerm

I'd list it like the wiki, with the range of difficulty. (lowest difficulty - highest difficulty)

Perfect Colif. Thank you once again. :faerie: It's nice to have a visual reference while we work on this. Looks like Eastern Tyr Lysia might be a close call in terms of max # of markers. 60 that is. Oh by the way. Are your quest maps from SP?

As for what difficulty to put regarding chain quests I chose whatever was the highest. The Undead Legion for example, I put 5 stars though it is only the last part that is 5 star. When players are reading the difficulty of the quest I think most will be reading it to gage the possible reward. So within a chain quest I'd guess that readers will want to know the highest possible star rating.

So for folks making markers please choose whatever the highest is within a chain quest. :faerie:

P.s.

Just read your response after typing mine Slayer, heh. I like your suggestion. Let's do that!

I'd list it like the wiki, with the range of difficulty. (lowest difficulty - highest difficulty)

Ok, will go back and edit the chain quests that I have already put in when I get the chance. I have changed all the quests that I put in yesterday over to the new format, and added a few more. I put the Easter Bunny quest as an Easter Egg type, since that one is special/temporary?

Colif, those Light Campaign Maps, what character is that with? I have explored pretty much all of Western Tyr Lysia on a TG, and don't have some of the quests that you show completed up near the White Griffon and Benny's Crop Circle areas... I am guessing you are a SW on that one too?

Off to do some more!

Jerm

Another question. How do you want to handle quests that aren't in a chain in the logbook, but you have to complete one to get the next?

For example:

Deadly Catch -> An Eye for an Eye

Dispossessed -> The Thieves of the Elven Capital -> Thieves and an Estranged Husband -> Assassination

Lahrian is Missing -> Desperately Seeking Golem

Edited by Jermane

Nice work Jermane. The revisions are excellent. :)

I noticed the easter egg you added and at first I wasn't sure but it does refer to a real life situation so it's good as an egg quest. Good call! After all... There is an easter egg in it. Literally, hehe.

For NPC's that offer multiple quests that are not chain quests I think what might work is to sort of explain it out. I revised your Deadly Catch marker to provide an example of what I mean. Maybe in the future when the wiki has filled out some more we might change those markers to link to the NPC page that will explain all the quests the NPC offers. For now though it's probably best to type out in order what quests that NPC offers. As for what name to give those markers, (1st Quest name or NPC name), I think it's best to do as you have and make the first quest in line the marker name. I'm open to suggestions if you think differently! Actually... Scratch that. Heh. The reason I wrote the above is because I'm worried what will happen once we have over 60 markers on a map. Maplib kinda gets messed up after 60 markers but keep going the way you're going. It works well and I'm hopeful that it won't be so bad in the end. I need to think more on this...

Character Used: TG Testa Light

Game Mode: Single Player/Campaign

NPC Name: Fisher's Wife

Difficulty: 1 Star Quest

SacredWiki: This NPC will first offer the quest Deadly Catch and then An Eye for an Eye.

It's coming along very well. Thank you!

P.s.

As it turns out it seems that the NPC Fisher's Wife is not available in Free Play Mode nor her quests so I've changed the marker icon to lightorshadow.png and the category to Campaign. For NPC's that have several quests associated to them we'll use only one marker for where it all starts. Campaign

Since I only play Single player, that is what they are from. I am not mad enough to play free and do all the quests in 1 sitting :)

Both are shadow warriors. I don't have enough time to play more classes but I intend to try some later in year when I loose my job. I don't need pity for that, I am looking forward to a break since its been 10 years since I had more then 3 weeks off in a row.

Fishers wife is light campaign only, she has no quests in dark. Instead you help a fisherman kill another fisherman on prison island

Edited by Colif

Yes, everything I have put on so far has been from Single-player, I am not sure if they are single-player only or not though, so some of them may need to be changed around a little bit as we get more information on specifically what type of quest they are.

I am not sure all the general markers are supposed to be general. I know some of them are light-only side quests, but I figured I would go ahead and put them on the map, and that way we could just change the icons later on.

Schot, did we not want to try to differentiate between when something is a Light/Dark Side quest? Or just use the dual icon and let people drill-down on it to see which it is for?

Going to go do some more quests now, Maplib seems to have issues early in the morning, must be daily maintenance.