LCD or CRT?

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

I've had a lcd now fer the last three years and I love it. The amount of space it takes up on the desk is awesome, and I love the way it displays text. Perfect for forum posting. I know that a lot of us are gamers though and so I"m curious as to whether everyone here has made the change to lcd or not. Lcd's sometimes have problems when the images move too fast, but I heard that if you get a good one which are avaliable so cheaply these days almost all of those problems are non-existant.

I guess, heh I'm in the market fer a new monitor. My old seventeen inch is lookin kinda small these days and of almost every part of my computer it seems like the monitor is the part I appreciate the most.

What is really interesting though is the amount of color diference between mine and other peep's monitors. Sometimes when I look at the forum on my lcd then compare it to the image on Schots''s, I feel like I'm lookin at someone else's forum!

:P

gogo

Crt is still the best for me but such a waste of the space. I have one at home which one is 19" and it is HUGE. Luck I have enough space. But colors and performance are perfect.

Lcd is cool but it is only good with if you use with recomended resolution. Any other resolutions it is interpolating the picture and looses some quality automatically. I am using at work 19" viewsonic with recomended resolution 1280x1024 and no complains so far. But I didn't try to watch any movie on it or play any game. I used to have 17" at home too but it was one of the first models and refresh rate wasn't really success at all, so I ended up selling and get my curent crt.

With new latency rates as small as 2ms, I don't thing any one will have any problem on games or watching movies. But the milisecond numbers (Latency) are kind of tricky. You have to read carefully, because there are different definitions on it (Black to White / Grey to grey transition or some kind of like that)

For get an great info about 2006 model 19" lcd monitors check out Tomshardware

Most important part is the of cource panel inside. There are 3 type of panels. All has one minority than other.

3 important think in lcd:

a- Quality of true colors

b- viewing angel

c- ghosting

For graphic editing, to get an perfect -a-, you might gie it up on -b- or -c-

or for perfect gaming machine give it up from -a- or -b-

it is really less amount of lcd producers are successfull with the all three aspects.

If you read the above link carefully you can get enough knowledge about lcds and what to look for. But don't forget something, believe your eyes more than those tests. If you have chance to see those lcds in local store don't hesidate to spend some time. For myopinion, monitor is the most important equipment on my pc. With a good one you can spend a lots of hours with it, bad ones after a couple hour make you regret you are using it :pitcher:

And another good thingy with lcd is the there is no refresh rate like crts have. So picture is always steady.

wow, I wrote a lot, it is enough for now.

edit: just edit the a-b-c part, when I used parentheses, board round it up like copywrite © instead of -c-

Guest gogoblender

heh, yarasa is there anyting yer not good at?

I never knew half the stuff you just wrote. Great post man.

I'm definitely in the market fer a new lcd. I jsut can't go back to using up so much precious deskspace. And I just have a real love for the way things look with lcd.

And your link for Tom's hardware is excllent.

Thank you!

:pitcher:

gogo

I can see why CRT is so great, but if like me you have two 21" monitors on your dsk crt's would take up too much room. I've got my two 21" tft monitors and they are great, ok they still take up a lot of space but when your desk is 8 foot in width and 4 foot in depth you cna have whatever size monitor you want on it.

I'm hopefully going to be upgrading to a 42inch plasma screen as use for my monitor. seeing as I do large ammounts of photoediting and video editing it will be useful, plus fantastic for watching dvd's however lcd's do have their downfall. DEAD PIXELS! so far over the 2 years I've had the 21" tft's I've not had any problems. however when I had crt's I did get burning onteh screen with my desktop because I used to hate screen savers.

but the image quality from teh tft's I feel is far superior to what I got from the crt's, plus when running on dual screen mode I jsut find tft's can be put closer together and have less of a gap in the middle of the screens.

• 1 month later...
Guest gogoblender

wow,

Dan two monitors?

Didyou get them on sale or seomthing?

lol, I'd die to have two monitors goin....

does it help a lot fer games?

I'm thinkin of gettin a second monitor....

but jsut cuz I wanna have ogame runnin on one and do the forum on another

:D

gogo

I've used crt all of my life, and I still have a 16" from a pc I bought in 1999, and still runs perfect, with, in my opinion, far better res that most lcd's ive seen. Right now I'm on a 19" crt, and with some friends' experience with lcd's, I'm not gonna buy one in the near future, however I am veeeeeery tempted to buy one (or two) of these 19" ViewSonic X Series

• 4 months later...

Oh hey. Just "bumped" into this topic while lookin fer something else and thought I'd drop into this one.

gogo hasn't bought that new screen yet soooo. :hugs:

CRT all tha way! I've had my Viewsonic 19" for about 3 years now and its been a dream. Refresh, colours and choice of resolutions are really great. Being a gamer and a photoshoper require me to demand the best I can get from monitors and it's a CRT that ends up on my desk because of those demands.

Seeing your LCD gogo and my CRT over the few years they've been around has really shown me a lot about the two types. Of the comparisons I could make there is one that stands out. Longevity.

On my CRT I honestly can't detect a difference in it's performance from the day I got it to now but on the LCD there is a significant difference. There are a couple pixel sized dead areas. And there is a strange white-ish glow coming from the left and right sides of the screen that offsets the colours quite a bit.

So I'm not sure if this is a fact but I'm thinking that CRT lifespans are much greater than an LCD.

Lower price tag and better quality vs. Higher price and smaller footprint. Hmmmm....

Now where is that topic I was looking for...

I got one of each linked up as a dual screen set up, one 19" LCD and one 17" CRT, and having a constant side by side comparrision tells me that my el-cheapo LCD, is way better than my el-cheapo CRT. After spending a fair amount on my rig, I only had enough for el-cheapo screens. The LCD is birght and clear and crisp, with little or no ghosting while gaming.

With the low-end LCD and CRT, I will definitely go with the LCD because of no refresh rate required. But if you compare both with their high-end products, CRT is unbeatable (at least for now).

I've had my (second-hand) 17 inch CRT since the mid nineties (so yeah, I've probably had it ~10 years). My only complaint about it is that it's capped at 1024*768, though as I'm only a casual gamer, that's not really an issue.

I've always thought (/believed) that CRTs were better than LCDs, but this was based on the early LCDs with their ghosting issues. Plus since I've got a fairly large pc desk, I'm not too bothered (yet) about the amount of space it takes up. When (if? :hugs: ) I come to replace my pc, I'll think about getting an LCD, but the whole native resolution thing really bothers me (Sacred is a good example of this).

I got an lcd about 6 months ago and so far I haven't had any problems, and the smaller weight and footprint is a definite plus. Fair warning though to take this opinion with a grain of salt - my needs are minimal (Sacred is about the only non-browser game I've been playing lately).

I have a 17" LCD made by some company called, "Nits" :bye: I'm not complaining lol, it was free from my dad when he bought a 19". There is only one thing wrong with it, about the top quarter of the screen is significantly different from the rest. Its hard to describe, its like the pixels died and came back to life and are mutated from what they used to be. I'll take some screenies sometime...

• 2 weeks later...