Sacred 2's Most Useful and Most Useless Skills

I am hearing that DOT seems to be the answer. and I echo Furian's question about skill choices. As we have a limited ability to find 50-70% Dot without using every darn Socket we have to fill with 9-10% DOTs. Does Opponents chance to poison -% help at all. although this is still a socket sucker. Is there mods for Buffs on Shadow Warrior that mitigate DOT?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking to make headway against the spitters in the swamp, you can look for multi channel anti dots or just plain anti poison dot. Schot's tested... the spids are actually doing two kinds of dots... one of them is a weak one from pre-expansion, the physical one... and expansion ice and blood brought in that nutso dot.. a poison dot.

By socketing a mutlt anti-dot you can lessen both the large poison dot and weaker physical dot.... by socketing just anti poison dot, most of their damage will be lessened.. With expansion, we also picked up, at least for Dryad, three more sockets on Detheya's, and the quality of sockets vastly improved. The sockets are there, but if just looking to use socketing to keep off the dots, good shopping is needed...or grim resillience with tactics mastery for the hp bonus.

:starwars:

gogo

Reading this how to fight DoT -----

is any of you using green potions?

Yes I know that they are only 25% of your hitpoints in niob without alchemy. But I think it can't be that our family smith is the only shadow warrior with alchemy. It can't be , or? My melee elves, my sohei all use alchemy. So I think I will post a quick note about how our smith included alchemy in his playstyle.

We planed a smith character for our whole family for ages, but none of us wanted to play one of the classes which have smithing. So we finally agreed on a shadow warrior and that everyone should play it for a while. Since it was a shared character everyone was allowed to choose some skills and combat arts. Our second daughter wanted to play with skeleton fortification, our oldest wanted to test the shadow warrior mainly as a possible opponent in PvP tournaments she does with class-mates at the local youth club, my wife wanted him to shoot and I said : Do what you want, but I want alchemy.

So the character looked like

02 tactics

03 armour

05 astral lord lore

08 concentration

12 astral lord focus

18 blacksmith

25 male volent champion focus

35 alchemy

50 constitution

65 ancient magic

Shadow veil is not taken as a buff (yet?) and only modified till silver. Playing is mainly done with spectral hand and (after buying the AddOn with RpH recharged) fortifications. The weapon is mainly a mean big two handed sword with x% life leech. Since spectral hand gets it attack speed from the astral lord lore a weapon skill was not really needed. Against bosses trollteeth boost the attack value.

It was a character everyone did some ideas in, so it was a surprise that the resulted mix played nicely. Killing spree got more damage from ancient magic even it wasn't planed with this in mind. 3 Buffs and a temporary shadow veil were enough to replace one or 2 defensive skills.

So a shadow warrior with blacksmithing is perhaps a good way to try out some alchemy on it. Our character is probably not the best one, but it can be played in several ways without getting boring. And thats what we wanted for our smith: reaching high levels and still discovering a new way to play it from time to time.

• 4 months later...

Cool how time teaches. It's like Alchemy's turning out to be the most powerful passive skill anyone can imagine happening in the game

Huge bonuses to experience gain without investing any points into it at all. It's like you're buffeted by gentle experience breezes that caress you endlessly on your way to the top.

Outstanding.

I'm just so close to starting a new Dryad, and where once EP was what I used as stepping stone to get to the Bargaining, Alchemy is going to totally change my journey to level 200.

:P

gogo

• 1 month later...
I've got a Ranged Shadow Warrior coming up the ranks, but now all that's on my mind is a new left click build, very very much focused on Alchemy.

Any word on this ranger?

Cool how time teaches. It's like Alchemy's turning out to be the most powerful passive skill anyone can imagine happening in the game

I'm still waiting for someone to show how to make Divine Devotion awesomesauce.

Huge bonuses to experience gain without investing any points into it at all.

I thought Alchemy only increased the duration rather than bonus of Mentor pots?

To the original topic:

Combat Discipline

Combat Reflexes

Concentration

are my most valued skills

Unless I'm building a special use character, I won't pick:

Any "General Skill" -- although the above discussion puts alchemy as a possible

It does, but longer duration equals better XP gain, no?

I guess, I was just expecting that "Huge bonuses to experience gain without investing any points into it at all." would be a bit more than +4% duration at level 1 (IIRC).

Hrm... I didn't see too many console posts...

Worst skills

- Blacksmithing (doesn't work at all, verified)

- Spell Resistance (doesn't display in Overview, unconfirmed if working or not)

- Alchemy (good for durations, but trophies are nearly unuseable)

Best skills

-Bargaining (biased opinion)

-Aspect Focuses

It does, but longer duration equals better XP gain, no?

I guess, I was just expecting that "Huge bonuses to experience gain without investing any points into it at all." would be a bit more than +4% duration at level 1 (IIRC).

But you're forgetting that Alchemy is the skill that wears a thousand hats! More crit (as you need it), more attack rating (as you need), etc... etc... leads to more xp faster. Plus you can lengthen your 50% bonus from mentor potions...

Best skills:

• Lore skills (choose whichever suits your character) \ these 2 groups allow us to play each character the way it was meant to.
  • Focus skills (choose whichever suits your character) /
  • Spell Resistance (if it does indeed prevent combat arts from going off (combat arts=damage multipliers))

Worst skills

• Divine Devotion (maxed out at 20% reduction to regen of Godspell)
  • Riding (don't want to be a k----niggit)
  • Pacifism (don't plan to PvP)

I'm going to pipe up once again for Alchemy. If you've got the time to make this skill happen, just for the experience bonus alone running with mentor pots drunk, it's outstanding. We blew a build up to level 165 this way, Furian's Staves build... for a dryad, taking Alchemy now before Bargaining is going to be, for me, the way to go.

I have a question now about Spell Resistance... we all know it helps drop hefty ticks from Spiders in the swamp now ( Or so reported by Rooster) If we were not leveling in swamps, only building boss killer now... Does anyone know if Spell Resistance has any value at all versus The Guardians? I noticed that Slevin marked it as one of his most useless skills...is this still the truth for Bosses?

:whistle:

gogo

Not sure against the Guardians, but I know it works against the spells from the spawned TG's, and for me they are way more dangerous than those pesky Guardians due to the numbers of them that can spawn.

And I think its the spell resistance that helping me get through the Blood Forest so easily also. I have no fear of the eye balls now with this skill added to the list of defenses. On other builds I would not hang around that section with the eyeballz and flies but now I seek them out for a good bash.

SR should help against crits from the Guardian's CAs Gogo as well as make it more likely that you'll suceed on the spell resist/intensity check & take less damage.

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon all!

I've been playing Sacred 2 for a little while now and realized that my builds were struggling for a good reason- I was making bad decisions on skills and CAs.

I've seen great guides for some serious whooping a$$ chars but I haven't seen anything about which skills to avoid. I know that not all of the skills and CAs are worth using but which ones to you all think are not worth looking at?

I understand that different char types require different skils but in general are there skills that just aren't worthy of the points?

Thanks in advance!

ZConnor

on console.....blacksmith and alchemy...stay far far away

oh and I dont see much need for divine devotion I think it is, the god faster recharge skill...I only use forens and thats in DIRE situations.

hope I helped

cheers!

Good afternoon all!

I've been playing Sacred 2 for a little while now and realized that my builds were struggling for a good reason- I was making bad decisions on skills and CAs.

I've seen great guides for some serious whooping a$$ chars but I haven't seen anything about which skills to avoid. I know that not all of the skills and CAs are worth using but which ones to you all think are not worth looking at?

I understand that different char types require different skils but in general are there skills that just aren't worthy of the points?

Thanks in advance!

ZConnor

Just saw your topic Scott, and remembered we had a really awesome topic going on this a while back...I've merged your topic with this older one, and will ask you to have a gander. There are some really wonderful sacred 2 mechanics addicts in the thread.

Enjoy the read.

:)

gogo

I'd like to weigh in here, with probably not what any of you expect, coming from me;

THE most useful skill in sacred 2? or any action RPG?

Enhanced Perception.

WHAT?

I will explain;

Playing with a RL friend, we talk about things all the time.

We have narrowed down, the appeal of the 'action RPG'....

Finding cool stuff. Every enemy is a 'loot piniata'

We had a very long debate, and we agreed on this.

If there was no 'cool' stuff to hope to get, or drop etc, the game would be absolutely zero fun.

We wouldn't even play to be perfectly honest.

It's what drives everyone that plays these games to play; the appeal of finding killer stuff.

Therefore, the skill that increases your chances of finding killer stuff, was weighted teh best.

No, it doesn't help offense, or defense, survival etc, which are all my trademarks, but it does one thing, the most important thing, over all other skills; increases the chance of good stuff, which is the core reason we play, at the very heart, and makes the game overall more fun.

My friend has already gotten severely 'bored' of his pure killing machine SW that I helped him spec, so much so, he doesn't even play it at all anymore, in favor of MF characters, because they are much more fun.

FUN.

I no longer consider a toon with EP a 'utility' class. As we've totally converted that teh game is incredibly dull without finding good stuff.

I've now a pure MF seraphim, and another pure MF seraphim with trading for insane 'stuff'. It's quite shocking how much more enjoyable it is to play, because the rewards are much more constant that your average power toon.

Cheers,

My most useless: The inquisitor's God spell.. What's the point of summoing a Sakkara demon when you can only control the bugger for such a short time before he goes ballistic on YOU?

Let's say you're up against one of the nasty dragons in the dragonsea area. You're in too deep and need some help. So you summon the demon. He's good for maybe 40 seconds under your control. He does a bit of damage to the dragon, then he turns on you. Now you're stuck blasting away at the dragon, and then you've got to also whack the demon.

Can anyone say "out of the frying pan and into the fire.."?

A very nice take on EP, r00ster.

My most useless: The inquisitor's God spell.. What's the point of summoing a Sakkara demon when you can only control the bugger for such a short time before he goes ballistic on YOU?

Let's say you're up against one of the nasty dragons in the dragonsea area. You're in too deep and need some help. So you summon the demon. He's good for maybe 40 seconds under your control. He does a bit of damage to the dragon, then he turns on you. Now you're stuck blasting away at the dragon, and then you've got to also whack the demon.

Can anyone say "out of the frying pan and into the fire.."?

I don't recall the specifics, but a couple of the Inquisitor's CAs can be used in a way to make the Sakkra demon viable.

I'd like to weigh in here, with probably not what any of you expect, coming from me;

THE most useful skill in sacred 2? or any action RPG?

Enhanced Perception.

WHAT?

And... there is the small matter of EP based gear with experience (blue mods)... not a small thing higher up the levels :)

Greetz

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about the viability of Perception and this a good case.

I won't say Devotion is the worst. . .I will say the 'god button' is 'forgettable.' Between the various other ways to fight and survive the game, the deity button becomes a long lost memory. It would have been better for the deities to give some kind of 'bonus' or 'leg up' for the character at the beginning of a fresh game(Bronze). For example choosing the war god will give a permanent 10% chance for a critical hit or evade. Choosing another deity can unlock the first skill slot without waiting to level up first.

The only times I ever see my god is if I accidentally summon it. Dying a few times to Sakara was enough to make me always choose another god at character creation.

EP is addictive but I find it can be overpowering sometimes, when you just want to go and kill things you may not want to have to deal with a flood of unique/set items. I agree that main reason I keep playing is the hope I find something awesome.