A Comprehensive Guide To The BFG Seraphim

Well, the thing is that it only appears that it converts the elemental damage, because of the buggy tooltip. It actually does exactly what is written there - converts part of the physical damage into poison damage. This means that there will be an increase in damage against physical or ice resistant enemies, but it won't be that big. Still, it is very useful, and it is worth using, especially in the battles with the griffin :)

In my opinion it is best to keep a few such sets of gauntlets and utilize them in accordance to the enemies and bosses you fight. This will allow for certain flexibility, which the BFG Seraphim is lacking because the big gun doesn't have sockets.

Well, the thing is that it only appears that it converts the elemental damage, because of the buggy tooltip. It actually does exactly what is written there - converts part of the physical damage into poison damage. This means that there will be an increase in damage against physical or ice resistant enemies, but it won't be that big. Still, it is very useful, and it is worth using, especially in the battles with the griffin :crazy:

Are you certain about this? In my xbox tooltip it says conversion Damage to magic, it does not specify that the damage converted is physical damage only. It appears that when I equip one of these gauntlets, I do not do any ice damage, only physical and the element I have equipped. I've been trying to determine whether this is correct but I have a hard time determining it.

This seems a rather important distinction.

By the way, following my tests, revered lore does not seem to effect divine protection, warding energy, or the bfg buff in any way. (Edit: this is not correct, at least bfg damage is effected - see later post) Character is currently level 90 in platinum with last skill unselected, just got to windswept fortress. Have not used flaring nova or AW at all yet. I'm waiting for niob to see what is needed before picking revered lore or combat discipline.

Edited by ka243

I do not yet have my last skill picked. I looked at my damage for soul hammer and pelting strikes before picking, tried to pick revered lore and looked again. The damage did not change at all. Edit: this was because I had not recast the buff after picking the skill! Revered lore definately effects BFG damage for my character.

I then reset and did the same thing with combat discipline - the regen time for both pelting strikes and soul hammer went down and the damage for both increased. Reset again so I can test it again later. Currently level 92 in niob.

Edited by ka243

Well... The biggest problem with Sacred 2 is that numerous game mechanics are not open to the user, so unless someone does a meticulous job and test every single contingency, skill variation, equipment variation, skill mod variation, etc., we will never know if that works at all. I stated all that because I did some tests (sadly, at higher level, doing tests at lower level is easier, since the results are much more conclusive), read through various posts here and on the SIF, and people have unequivocally proven that revered lore affects the buffs. Still, the build is set up in a specific manner - in the worst case scenario, if there is no improvement on the BFG (although that's highly unlikely), flaring nova and archangel's wrath will benefit from revered lore a lot. So, this is a win-win situation in every contingency.

Thanks, that's helpful. It looks like the elemental part was also supposed to be converted but it is not actually so: "If there's a bug, given what the dev's told me, it's that you don't do more damage in the example that the OP gives, as WAI (working as intended) should be that the Combat Art damage is converted." if this is how its supposed to work maybe it will be fixed in ice & blood.

Info on SIF concerning whether revered lore increases bfg damage is conflicting.

Ex:

Pro revered lore increases BFG damage: http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/sho...ead.php?t=51456

Con revered lore increases BFG damage: http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/sho...ead.php?t=51341

I just took my test further and tried playing for awhile with the revered lore skill after picking it. The damage increase was insane after choosing this skill. I'm very sorry about my mistake. My damage went from like 14000 with soul hammer to like 25000!! WOW. I'm upset at myself for waiting this long to choose the skill.

Some claim that the damage increase from revered lore only happens if you choose the increase damage mods on bfg which of course I did.

Edited by ka243

Well, you don't really need to be upset, ka243... The BFG is powerful enough as she is even without Revered lore. I, personally, pick revered lore later on, usually as level 50 or level 65 pick, unless I've decided to utilize AW very early on. You may say that differs from the build I made here, but every author must be a little bit conservative, at least on paper :Just_Cuz_21:

Just a quick question on BFG (sitting in the office so can't try it just yet but looks very interesting) I've been only playing a Dryad and few different Shadow Warrior builds...but this BFG Seraphim looks really interesting. I've read Dobri's well written guild on the build. But since I've never tried it can someone enlighten me.

I'm confused on the actual BFG buff. Do you get a ranged weapon when in use? or U need to equip a ranged weapon and it becomes the BFG ranged weapon?

Currently level 103 and got to the niob guardians. Have not been able to beat them because the middle 2 guardians always gang up on me. Why is that? Can I prevent it from happening? I think I could win if I could fight them one at a time. 2 guardians pounding on me is more than my divine protection + armor mastery + constitution can handle. Mastered skills at this point include constitution, concentration, tactics, revered focus and armor lore.

Have been putting points into warrior focus to finish modding pelting strikes in addition to dashing, battle stance, and soul hammer. Warding energy next or toughnes next? Hmm....

In retrospect I wish I had left concentration at one and mastered either warding lore or toughness before concentration. Warding energy goes down way too often for it to be useful (even after taking both increase shield energy mods) - has about 8K health in it. Takes too long to recast in a boss battle. Much quicker to just recast divine protection.

Other regret is not taking the evasion mod on battle stance. Even going way over penalty level in rune eating it only adds a ridiculous 22% regen penalty making the drill mod seem unnecessary (compared with 60ish from bfg).

Warding energy seems to go down while divine protection is active which I find quite odd. I've been relying on divine protection mainly for defense and armor + constitution to give me time to recast divine protection in case it goes down in a fight.

Orc cave is great for leveling. I can just cast dp, stand there and shoot them down while they swing at me. As orcs in the orc cave have no ice resistance they go down quite quickly and don't have much time to swing... :(

Edited by ka243

I was able to confront them 1 at a time and win. level 104 = niob finished in single player.

I only ever got to put about 5 points in toughness and 1 in warding energy lore but they still helped because of my about +50 all skills bonus (total). I used my level 88 high elf to buy jewelry for me. I don't have a shopper thats higher level than that.

After playing a seraphim with divine protection, it seems to me that playing any other type of character would seem difficult because of the amazing amount of devense divine protection gives. +25K shieldpoints and magic reflection = very nice. I don't think any other class can compete with divine protection defensively.

By the way, I only ever put one point in revered lore, though the damage boost from this at level 51ish thanks to +skills was quite nice. The BFG and fully modded soul hammer + pelting strikes combo with some 55% fire conversion gloves was enough to allow me to defeat the last guardian with relative ease once I got him one on one.

If I were to redo, I would master skills in this order:

- Tactics (level 75)

- Revered Focus (level 75)

- Constitution (level 75)

.... Get enough points in warrior focus to modify the 4th warrior Combat Art (pelting strikes or soul hammer depending what you picked first)

- Armor lore (before level 100)

- Toughness or warding energy lore (level 100ish)

That's enough to beat the last boss in single player.

I would modify the revered Combat Arts in this order:

BFG

Divine protection

Maybe flaring nova modded for stun and expand.... Would be useful in swamp for stunning. I found the 2-hit modification to make the range quite small and I was very often hitting things from a distance and rarely getting close enough for flaring nova to be of any use modded for double wave. I read somewhere that a high level flaring nova can cover (and stun) the whole screen which would have been quite nice.

I found I very rarely used warding energy because of its long casting time and its tendancy to go down even while I was running divine protection. Again thanks a lot for this guide and your comments. It helped quite a bit.

Edited by ka243
  • 1 month later...

Is there anything you can do against debuffers because like

bfg (takes away all your power)

warding energy (your main defence)

Battle stance (a little more power)

I know you would simpily recast the buff's but is there some other way you can stop them debuffing is there even a amulet/ring you can equip/socket to stop them debuffing you that I havent even heard of?

Edit: I know im random just wondering what else can you do?

Edited by Born to kill
Is there anything you can do against debuffers because like

bfg (takes away all your power)

warding energy (your main defence)

Battle stance (a little more power)

I know you would simpily recast the buff's but is there some other way you can stop them debuffing is there even a amulet/ring you can equip/socket to stop them debuffing you that I havent even heard of?

Edit: I know im random just wondering what else can you do?

I think the stat you're looking for is something like Block:Combat Art %.

The only thing on consoles that strips your buffs from what I've seen is the White Griffin and frankly he hits like a pansy if you're wearing 3 Ice relics of decent quality so while getting debuffed is annoying, I've never found it to be life threatening. For the most part though, I just avoid that one mini-boss. Since this game doesn't have a specific loot table, you don't NEED to go after him.

Edited by Numerii
  • 2 weeks later...

I am currently playing this build and I am currently one-hitting pretty much everything right now. From my previous experiences playing the Seraphim and other characters I am convinced the game is currently easy not because the game being easy but because of the quality of the build. Thanks for an excellent build which is making for an extremely fun game.

• 5 weeks later...
Just a quick question on BFG (sitting in the office so can't try it just yet but looks very interesting) I've been only playing a Dryad and few different Shadow Warrior builds...but this BFG Seraphim looks really interesting. I've read Dobri's well written guild on the build. But since I've never tried it can someone enlighten me.

I'm confused on the actual BFG buff. Do you get a ranged weapon when in use? or U need to equip a ranged weapon and it becomes the BFG ranged weapon?

O.k. in relation to this question I have one of my own. When I first built my BFG seraphim I made her a set of +skills/deathblow/rph gear to help the new char, I also created a sword and shield w plus all skills stats on it. My question is, when I turn on my BFG, and I check my skills screen, all the bonuses that were added from the sword and shield are lost until I turn off bfg. I am on ps3 just fyi, so is there a way to equip say a ranged weapon or something to get the bonuses that are on the weapons? Or should I not even bother to equip a weapon? Any info would be helpful thanx!

O.k. in relation to this question I have one of my own. When I first built my BFG seraphim I made her a set of +skills/deathblow/rph gear to help the new char, I also created a sword and shield w plus all skills stats on it. My question is, when I turn on my BFG, and I check my skills screen, all the bonuses that were added from the sword and shield are lost until I turn off bfg. I am on ps3 just fyi, so is there a way to equip say a ranged weapon or something to get the bonuses that are on the weapons? Or should I not even bother to equip a weapon? Any info would be helpful thanx!

you will only have the bonuses ad etc from the weapon that is active. however I use a sword and shield to set my buffs with. I get 3 to 4 Combat Art levels more out of my BFG when I use this method. and the Damage and attack/defense bonuses from BS are much better. but as soon as the BFG weapon is active all the extra stuff from the sword and shield disappear.

you will only have the bonuses ad etc from the weapon that is active. however I use a sword and shield to set my buffs with. I get 3 to 4 Combat Art levels more out of my BFG when I use this method. and the Damage and attack/defense bonuses from BS are much better. but as soon as the BFG weapon is active all the extra stuff from the sword and shield disappear.

Thanks loco. I've been playing this build for a while and I never thought about doing this. So simple, but it would make a good deal of difference. And Dobri, this is one of the best written guides I have seen in a while. This helped me learn a lot of the mechanics of Sacred 2. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the game yesterday and are a bit confuse about the game mechanics.

To increase BFG damage should I pump intelligence or dexterity? BFG seems like a magic skill to me but it is range.

Do I need to increase stamina a lot to decrease regeneration or put most of it in dex/int?

Is Forens a more useful god as a character with so much damage reduction?

1) To increase BFG damage should I pump intelligence or dexterity? BFG seems like a magic skill to me but it is range.

BFG is considered a combat art that summons a weapon, and as such, BFG is a ranged Legendary Weapon. As such, it is affected by Dexterity.

2) Do I need to increase stamina a lot to decrease regeneration or put most of it in dex/int?

It depends on your play style. The safest attribute to put points in is Vitality. However, if you want to play dynamic BFG build, some + stamina is good to offset the big penalty imposed by the three maxed buffs.

3) Is Forens a more useful god as a character with so much damage reduction?

I usually pick Forens myself, but be aware that if you happen to resort to the god powers way too often, you're doing something wrong :paladin: I only use god powers against last boss (the 4 nameless guardians), just in case.

YY

For consoles and the AddOn regeneration per hit is working. I would take stamina only if I play the classic PC version.

While Rph

is proving to be extremely useful I do not care for it with the bfg build. The flight time of the projectile is way to long for RpH to be effective.

BFG is considered a combat art that summons a weapon, and as such, BFG is a ranged Legendary Weapon. As such, it is affected by Dexterity.

It depends on your play style. The safest attribute to put points in is Vitality. However, if you want to play dynamic BFG build, some + stamina is good to offset the big penalty imposed by the three maxed buffs.

I usually pick Forens myself, but be aware that if you happen to resort to the god powers way too often, you're doing something wrong :) I only use god powers against last boss (the 4 nameless guardians), just in case.

Thank you :twitch:

On the ranged weapons skill, why is putting spare points in this skill discouraged?

It increases attack speed, chance to hit & max item level useable without penalties, is your logic is 1 point in it is enough, and upgrading BFG rune will not increase max item level useable penalties?

How about attack speed and chance to hit? does attack speed has a cap thus with items you can easily reach that cap thus attack speed is not important?

Edited by Gnostic