If there was a prize for stupid.....

Silearth

While searching for news on Windows 7 I came across a page in MS. Try Win7 ultimate until 2010. It's a RC, but.....

Well I downloaded the thing and burned myself a DVD. Copied all of my important stuff(4000+ photos, stories and documents) to another drive and fired the install up.

I couldn't do an upgrade as I got the 64 bit iso. Well, after 6 tries, I am giving up for the night. The install first copies the files to the hard drive. This seems to take a split second, so I know that nothing is getting copied. Then during the unpacking phase, the monitor goes dark and it's all she wrote.

Perhaps I'll check my Bios tomorrow to see if there is a setting for OS install like in the wife's laptop. Sigh.

I feel for ya man...hope it goes well.

Just in case though, you do have a 64bit processor, correct? Sorry, I'm sure you would know better but I just had to ask :)

Athlon 64 X2.

I am starting to get worried now though. I was going through the Bios setup and the monitor went dark. The computer is running but I am suddenly not getting a signal.

I'll get this figured out, though.

--------------------------------------

So, I opened up the case and blew out all the dust. The CPU fan was full, the powersupply was pretty bad and most of my fans were pretty caked. Going to have to move it off of the floor. After checking all my settings in the BIOS, I attempted another install. I was pretty surprised; the install took well under an hour. Perhaps under half an hour. Now I have a fully functioning Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Everything is running smoothly, but now I have to see if I can get open office, quicken and paintshop pro to work.

Edited by Silearth