Windows 7 and me

Silearth

Well it's been a few days since I got this monster installed.

On the website, Microsoft clearly tells you not to install the RC on your main computer. I can see the reasoning behind that statement, but what's the fun in being reasonable?

My first impressions are good. This RC seems very polished; it's everything that Vista is an more. I have already installed all of my apps and am in the process of installing Sacred 2--just to see if it works. I have done a bit of reading about problems with the software that I use, and so far I have not had any of the discussed problems.

There was the issue of no sound at first, but Jetway had some handy 64 bit realtek audio drivers for me. Windows 7 recognized my 4670 without a hitch and the performance was good. But I remembered that game.amd.com had 64 bit win 7 catalist drivers.

So everything is indeed running smooth. I have the Aero glass interface and slideshow wallpaper and my system is very responsive.

When it comes time to buy, I'll have to buy home premium. I see no need to stay with ultimate.

----------------------

I knew that the true test was going to be installing Sacred 2. The install went well but the updating process stumbled. I had the first two patches already and they installed no problem. I did not have the last and I couldn't download them from the site. I used the updater and it failed a couple of times before I ran it as administrator.

I fired up the game and noticed that my SW's movements were very jerky. I tried to enter a portal and CTD. Well Win 7 has that nifty little utility that will set up a compatibility mode for your programs. After a minute or so I had the game profiled for XP SP2 and it was running smoothly.

Score 2 for windows 7.

Edited by Silearth