Food Ideas That Don't Seem To Go Together?

I have seen the wife put together some strange things. I cringe every time she starts shaving ice because I know that it will end up in a glass with kidney beans, fruit and fruit syrup. Or perhaps some coffee and mashed avacado.

But tomorrow I am going to forgo the weekly kami to honor a request.

I am going to mix up and knead a batch of eggy sweet bread dough. Usually the dough would be rolled out, braided, and drizzed with icing after baking. Or perhaps turned into cinnamon rolls or some other sweet treat.

There are any number of things that I can do with a basic sweet bread dough. But I am not going to do any of them.

I am going to take the dough--after the first rise--and form it into small balls. Each ball will hide a cube of cheddar cheese within. So what we will end up with is the rich, sweetness of the bread combined with the sharpness of the cheddar. I believe the final product will end up being dusted with a bit of powdered sugar as well.

I have seen the wife put together some strange things. I cringe every time she starts shaving ice because I know that it will end up in a glass with kidney beans, fruit and fruit syrup. Or perhaps some coffee and mashed avacado.

Go easy Silearth. I have just had my dinner. Now I feel slightly.... ;) ...........aargh

Sorry about that. What doesn't go together? Me and Gazpacho for a start.

Wine and a vinaigrette on your salad.

Go easy Silearth. I have just had my dinner. Now I feel slightly.... ;) ...........aargh

Sorry about that. What doesn't go together? Me and Gazpacho for a start.

Wine and a vinaigrette on your salad.

Lol.

Well, overall, the experiment was sort of a failure. The rolls looked great, and when they cooled off I dusted them with powdered sugar. The problem is that 90% of the cheese ran out. When I make ham&cheese bread I am able to retain almost all of the cheese.....

This will require further work, but I'm sure the kids will not mind.

Delicious sounding idea, but too bad you lost the cheese. Was it because of the choice of cheese, or the type of dough you made?

:sweating:

gogo

My dough was a pretty stiff sweet bread dough. I would have to say that The cheese ran out because I baked them seam side down. I was looking for a perfectly smooth top. I don't know why I titled this thread things that don't go together. My favorite sandwich, the monte cristo, is dusted with powdered sugar and I do the same to grilled cheese.

This will require further work, but I'm sure the kids will not mind.

Where do you get kids like that? They are usually too finicky to be true.

Include the kids in the pics...I gotta see what good kids look like.

Did you use sharp cheddar? (less greasy) That concoction does sound yummy, although I'd leave the powdered cheese off personally.

Another thing to try, in the spirit of this thread, is....

Instead of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, replace the jelly with some mustard. It may sound gross, but if you like both ingredients you should at the very least give this a try. Do it on a half-slice or something so you don't waste too much if you don't like it. I really enjoy it though.

:4rofl:

• 1 year later...

Strange combinations from my side:

Pissaladiere with home made Thyme Ice cream is delicious.

Chocolate Ravioli stuffed with beef!

Pumpkin pie with home made Cinnamon Ice cream.

home made Almond and Amarula Ice cream

Home made Fig and Brandy Ice cream

Sweet Spicey Dumplings with home made custard Ice cream

Provencal Tart with Black pepper Ice cream

wow!

lol these sound like out of the box combinations you find on menu cards in fancy restaurants.. or are you telling me you make these yourself?

:o

gogo

wow!

lol these sound like out of the box combinations you find on menu cards in fancy restaurants.. or are you telling me you make these yourself?

:o

gogo

The Pissaladiere with thyme Ice cream and the Provencal Tart with Black pepper ice cream we make at the restaurant, and I've made it at home as well.

The chocolate ravioli with beef I bought from a friend who makes it herself.

and the rest of the sweet stuff I make myself at home.

I bought my own Ice cream machine last year and it is simply heaven. nothing as NOTHING, beats fresh home made Ice cream, or sorbet...

that reminds me I made Jagerbomb sorbet, orange and mint sorbet, rooibos tea and honey sorbet, and dang it were they ever refreshing!?!