Currently Reading...

soldats

jerzy kosinski - the painted bird

n745.jpg

a ww2 period piece.

a child of 7 is abandoned by his parents as he wanders/is chased constantly from village to wilderness.

a raw look into loneliness and how he copes with it.

picked it up yesterday on a whim and I'm halfway through[didn't sleep]

[edit]

finished it already...

Edited by soldats

alexander solzhenitsyn - one day in the life of ivan denisovich

solz.jpg

another ww2 period piece, set in a siberian labor camp

a story about one day in the life of a man who is wrongfully convicted of treason and sent for a decade to said labor camp

but he endures it with 'patience, dignity and enduring strength'

Diamond_Throne.jpg

Fantasy all the way here.

The empire of Elenia is in trouble and the not so righteous Pandion-Knight (cfr. Paladin) Sparhawk embarks on a quest to save the queen from a mysterious disease.

In the mean time evil forces gather in the far away lands (LOTR anyone? :D ).

Barely started it because of exams.

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

strangely enough, I've always wanted to read the picture of dorian gray but I never got around to it...maybe after this one

michel faber - the crimson petal and the white

n95015.jpg

it's yet another one of those victorian era books...I seem to have a taste for them..at least in the past 2 years

the novel is pretty racy and the one glaring flaw is that faber uses anachronistic language...that is, modern diction to tell a 19th century tale. for all his talent and worshipping all the newspapers are lauding onto this book, there is a disjunction between myself and pages based on the words used alone....so sad. but the story is engaging...

[edit]

it's a whopping 900+ pages...

Edited by soldats

and I just finished this after picking it up 2 months ago...usually a book is devoured within a week or two..but this was more of a casual read whenever I had 5-10 minutes.

dan simmons - drood

drood.jpg

it's about the last 5 years of charles dickens' life..and the book he never finished. although I would say that the jacket insert with the book preview is quite misleading, as after reading 784 pages of this 'stuff,' I feel as if I didn't get the same impression as the preview purported. anyway. it's yet another victorian era piece. everything is well done including the research and language. the only lacking portion is the story itself..as it falls flat after about 2/3 of the way through. I felt as if I just HAD to finish it. dan simmons is a master of historical fiction, and I thoroughly enjoyed his other novel, 'the terror.' it's about the lost franklin expedition...I highly suggest that one as it really grips you unlike 'drood.'

ascendance.gif

I started reading this yesterday. You can't tell from that picture, but it's a high fantasy action adventure story.

watchmenm.jpg

I'm reading this at the same time. It's too big to carry around, so I read this one at home and Ascendance at work.

Dang I need to get my hands on the Watchmen graphic novel too!

I read the Hunter's Blade trilogy from R.A. Salvatore some years ago, I liked em ^^.

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras
  • 5 weeks later...

Just about done with this one:

measure.jpg

I had no idea this man had such an amazing, frightening, loved childhood and some of the insane things he went through to get to the magnificent acting career he has acheived. Remarkable man in many ways.

I highly recommend:

rock.jpg

Amazing story.

Edited by AgentSmith5150

Just finished re-reading the wheel of time Books 1-11. One of the best fantasy series ever.

Waiting for book 12/14 to come out. Frustrated that they released chapter 1 and 2 free and the prologue (100+ pages) was also released early but it costs 3 dollars to download and I don't want to pay for this content twice so I'll just have to wait for the book to come out around october 27th. Don't want to read the first 2 chapters before the prologue.

If you've never read this series, its great.

Edited by ka243

I have to agree that Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the most amazing series I have ever read. Unfortunately Jordan died before completing this series but from what I've heard all the main storyline and subplots are there and just need someone to 'flesh' them out.

Gathering Storm is due out soon with 2 more books afterwards

Tower of Midnight

A Memory of Light

Been reading this series since it first came out in 1990. I usually have to re-read the entire series when a new book comes out since there's just too many plots, sub-plots and details for my tired little brain to remember. If you like Tolkien and Eddings you have to read this series

Link to Brandon Sanderson's blog about taking over writing WoT and how the the last 3 books are going

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

A mention on brandon sanderson: His books are very good too. I read elantris and mistborn and liked both very much. He even has his latest released hardcover, warbreaker available for free download on his website as a way to incite people to discover his writing and hopefully buy that book or other books of his, which I think is great. Personally, I will wait for the paperback of warbreaker to come out before buying it. I read some of it online and found it very good but reading online is much less comfortable than buying the book and reading it in that format.

He is also working on a new series of which the first book will be called way of kings that has a cool concept.

I think he will do a great job with wheel of time and I ordered a signed/numbered copy of the gathering storm.

Edited by ka243

Hey Knuckles, first here is the link to download the full version of warbreaker for free : http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/war...over_1st_ed.pdf

Here's the information about how to order a signed/numbered copy of the gathering storm.

Read Item #4 on this page: http://brandonsanderson.com/article/57/THE...-Release-Events!

The page is somewhat long so scroll down to item number 4.

The bookstore that is selling them doesn't have a website so you have to call them or email to place the order.

He will even personalize the signature for you :sigh:.

Edit: the last date to get a personnalized copy is Oct 19th: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/832/M...c-Table-Updates

You can still order signed/numbered copies after that but they won't be personnalized after that.

Edited by ka243
  • 1 month later...

I started reading this last night:

warpsword.jpg

It's the fourth book in the Malus Darkblade series. I'm not very far into it but where I'm at now, the main character is in a place called the City of Executioners where every wall is painted red and corpses litter the streets, with pyramids of skulls on every street corner.

I finished Transcendance yesterday and my vedict is it's pretty average. It's a war story set mostly in a desert, with that universe's equivalent of Mongolians invading their neighbors to free their oppressed country. A dragon is involved.