Currently Reading...

soldats

I'm currently reading 'A Separate Reality' by Carlos Castaneda. Castaneda is an author and anthropologist, the book is his memoir discussing his apprenticeship with a Yaqui brujo named Don Juan Matis. I'm absolutely fascinated by this book, more from an anthropological sense than a spiritual sense, but I am enthralled by some of the imagery that Castaneda paints.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ShipWhoSang.jpg

Met Anne McCaffrey at a reading in my Birthtown when she was invited to Europe's biggest library for fantasy liturature. While sorting my books in a new manner I found my old signed copy again, Whenever my kids visit my mother they go to the library to have some good reading when back home.

The Library

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantastische_Bibliothek_Wetzlar

The book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ship_Who_Sang

• zomgod! 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

Met Anne McCaffrey at a reading in my Birthtown when she was invited to Europe's biggest library for fantasy liturature. While sorting my books in a new manner I found my old signed copy again, Whenever my kids visit my mother they go to the library to have some good reading when back home.

I have her original Dragonriders of Pern books in one volume.  I still have not gotten around to reading them.

Lately I've been enjoying The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.  It's not my usual epic world-shattering fantasy.  It's smaller in scope than say, Malazan Book of the Fallen, but that really gives each and every character space to breathe and become fleshed out.  Hobb is a wonderful writer and really evokes some strong emotions with her stories.  I've just started the third book.

I am currently reading a Jeffrey Archer book, Honour Amongst Thieves. 

It is set in the early 1990's and is about how Saddam Hussein/Iraq, tries to steal the American Declaration Of Independence. I always enjoy his books.

• Like! 1

I allways had the feeling but I am a math and not a biologist so I had no time to proof it. Ever heard about the 'wood wide web'?

Here's the non fictional book about it:

513MzQDmx1L._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oldest is writing on her master thesis (when the new born allows it) in arboristic and met the author.

About the 'wood wide web'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhizal_network

• Like! 1
On 9/19/2019 at 5:43 PM, Delta! said:

I am currently reading a Jeffrey Archer book, Honour Amongst Thieves. 

It is set in the early 1990's and is about how Saddam Hussein/Iraq, tries to steal the American Declaration Of Independence. I always enjoy his books.

I read this years and years ago. I remember having to stay at my Ammamma's house when I was kid, and she had this awesome collection of books that were being collected by my Uncle.  Jeffrey Archer was one of the writers, and for years I was addicted...If you like Honour keep going... there's a just terrific book called 

QJm0nuU6hqwC?fife=w200-h300

Brilliant

:)

gogo

On 9/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, chattius said:

ShipWhoSang.jpg

The Library

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantastische_Bibliothek_Wetzlar

The book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ship_Who_Sang

On 9/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, Flix said:

I have her original Dragonriders of Pern books in one volume.  I still have not gotten around to reading them.

Lately I've been enjoying The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.  It's not my usual epic world-shattering fantasy.  It's smaller in scope than say, Malazan Book of the Fallen, but that really gives each and every character space to breathe and become fleshed out.  Hobb is a wonderful writer and really evokes some strong emotions with her stories.  I've just started the third book.

Guys this is a nostalgia trip.  There used to be a small second hand book shop right on Ste Catherine Street in Montreal Downtown... small, dusty, with a awesome back room piled high with books that even had chairs in it that just could just slump into after hard day of shopping or walking.  I think I slowly made my way through the Pern series... after Chattius did his first post, I was even at work going through some wikipedia pages... the whole lore/creation of the planet, life forms and settlers is absolutely in depth and so satisfying.  

Lucky you Chattius to meet up

gogo

• 10 months later...

Reading some Paulo Cuelho, Brazilian author

The Alchemist

865.jpg

It is not my guide to alchemy in Sacred2.

Manual of the Warrior of Light

1426.jpg

It is not my guide about the Seraphim

Our second has to write an interpretation about 'Krieger des Lichts' from the german band Silbermond for her school in Music and Arts. The song is based on the philosophy of Cuelho's book: Manual of the Warriors of Light. So I bought the two books to be at least a bit able to discuss the interpretation with my daughter as long teaching is only online in covid19 times.

Warrior of light

Be the river which resolutely flows to the sea

Which won't be warpe from it, no matter how hard it is

It does not even fear the biggest stone

Even if it takes years, until it breaks the stone

And if your will sleeps wake it again

Because inside of everyone of us is a warrior

Whose courage is like a sword

But the biggest weapon is his heart

Lets get up

Get out of the way

To all the warriors of light

Where are you

You're wanted here

Get out of the way

This goes to all the warriors of light

Do not fear your weaknesses

Never fear to admit your mistakes

Be deliberate and freed

Even be crazy from time to time

Don't let yourself be decieved even when it's made of gold

Don't let yourself be dazed, defeated by wrong pride

Learn to forgive and forget

Learn to enthrall and free

Lets get up

Get out of the way

Where are you

You're wanted here

Get out of the way

This goes to all the warriors of light

And he knows his limits and still goes beyond them

No luck at the distance which he could crave for

His power is his faith, he fights for nothing anymore

And that again and again, that's why he is a warrior

from

https://lyricstranslate.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a five-book fantasy series by Brent Weeks called "The Lightbringer."

5wstBKb.jpg

The books are really creative with the system of magic which is based on color and vision.  It gets really in-depth in regards to the physiology of how our eyes perceive color, as well as the physics of what light actually is.

Another major theme is how a religious institution can become corrupted over time, especially due to secrets and dishonesty (a kind of "darkness" between people).

Above all though it's just really fun adventurous fantasy.

• Like! 1
21 hours ago, Flix said:

I just finished a five-book fantasy series by Brent Weeks called "The Lightbringer."

5wstBKb.jpg

The books are really creative with the system of magic which is based on color and vision.  It gets really in-depth in regards to the physiology of how our eyes perceive color, as well as the physics of what light actually is.

Another major theme is how a religious institution can become corrupted over time, especially due to secrets and dishonesty (a kind of "darkness" between people).

Above all though it's just really fun adventurous fantasy.

You sold me on this Flix! I was looking for a good set of serious "magic" books to get into... kind of like Riftwar Saga?  Long and sumptuous, terrific reads to just throw down upon the couch and get lost into.  I like this idea of magic being ingrained upon magic and color... looking forward to the read... I may make this series my first for E Reader!

:dance:

gogo

Yah I'd say Lightbringer has got a bit more "grit" than Feist's Riftwar Saga.  I remember Riftwar as being something of a traditional high fantasy, D&D-feeling series.

But, Lightbringer is not as graphic or gratuitous with the violence and sex as Game of Thrones, nor is the writer as cruel to his characters as GRRM is.  I'd say it sits in a nice, balanced spot between high and low fantasy.

Let me know what you think!

• Like! 1

I was a bit lucky because my mother lives just a few hundreds metre away from Europe's biggest bibleotheque for fantasy and science fiction literature in Wetzlar. It was nice to meet writers real life and discuss with them. For example Anne McCaffrey. She said the fantasy world for Pern was based on a simple idea: A colony of forgotten humans lost their technology and is confrontated with an attack from another planet. How defend? What if the flying reptiles could be breeded into dragons? What culture would result in this....

Nowadays Fantasy is based to a big amount on Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. Rocks thrown with catapults and heads Roll around at sword combat... No real win for the world. Once good technical fantasy influenced young scientists: Jules Verne submarines and rockets, Asimov's Laws of Robotics, Arthur C Clarke's books with a technology not too far away in the future, ....

Politcal fantasy like 1984, Fahrenheit 471, is still discussed at schools.

Bibleotheques are a bit troublesome with covid19. I phoned and requested the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix for our third. Her older sisters had read the series years ago and found it good. I said the bibleotheque could add some 'space operas' as a surprise into the box. Yes, it is a box which is send to you, and when read you send it back, and the box stays in quarantine for a week I think.

They put A Confusion of Princes in the box. I probably should have said space operas for me:

'I have died three times, and three times been reborn, though I am not yet twenty in the old earth years by which it is still the fashion to measure time. This is the story of my three deaths, and my life between. My name is Khemri.'

And this 'not yet twenty' is probably the target group of the book. But since I am used to pre-read books for my kids if they are years younger than the target group... This books they are allowed to read, mainly because the hero wears a mask ;)

Image15.jpg

• Like! 1
6 hours ago, Spock said:

We watched 'I am Number Four' somewhere and I  promptly got the video.

Then I learned it was based on actual books and I have gone through eight of them so far. Only two more to go for the main series.

I saw the movie and liked that concept...that they had to be killed in sequence to get to him.. very novel, and some cool effects... they only had one movie? and I didnt know it was from a book series

gogo

Surprise, surprise, the books are better than the movie and they differ in quite a few instances so they are well worth the time and effort to read them. The biggest difference is that 'John Smith', Number Four, is the one who is flame resistant, not Number Six. Now that they have teamed up, their 'number immunity' is no longer valid ...

I didn't want to wait for our library to get them all, so I purchased them all at once. I will probably re-read them, so it was worth it.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:23 AM, Spock said:

Surprise, surprise, the books are better than the movie and they differ in quite a few instances so they are well worth the time and effort to read them. The biggest difference is that 'John Smith', Number Four, is the one who is flame resistant, not Number Six. Now that they have teamed up, their 'number immunity' is no longer valid ...

I didn't want to wait for our library to get them all, so I purchased them all at once. I will probably re-read them, so it was worth it.

i actually didnt know that they had unique super invulnerabilies..its always these neat limits that make for an interesting read

gogo

On 8/28/2020 at 12:47 AM, Flix said:

Yah I'd say Lightbringer has got a bit more "grit" than Feist's Riftwar Saga.  I remember Riftwar as being something of a traditional high fantasy, D&D-feeling series.

But, Lightbringer is not as graphic or gratuitous with the violence and sex as Game of Thrones, nor is the writer as cruel to his characters as GRRM is.  I'd say it sits in a nice, balanced spot between high and low fantasy.

Let me know what you think!

I have them in my "reading list" on Books... when I travel next I'll down load the first one... im stocked to sync/sink in !

:dance:

gogo

I don't think I've read any books since uni other than the books surrounding the Diablo games. But I have the Witcher's series to go through now.
So far I've finished the "first" and I still have to get my hands on a copy of Season of Storms: 

1. The Last Wish
  2. Sword of Destiny
  3. Season of Storms (optional)
  4. Blood of Elves
  5. Time of Contempt
  6. Baptism of Fire
  7. The Tower of the Swallow
  8. The Lady of the Lake