Currently Reading...

soldats

Oh, hehe, I've just noticed that they have spelt her name differently in that link I gave than they do on the cover of her books ! How odd ?! I guess it is down to the translation from Icelandic to English.

Steve.

• 2 months later...

I ran out of books at home recently, and on a whim picked up my Collector's Edition of the Dragonlance Chronicles, which has sat on a shelf for over twenty years. Back when I read them, as a teenager, I was convinced they were the best books I had read up to that point. I think I should probably have left it to the memories, though. I can see why I enjoyed them back then, but having studied literature since then, and perhaps more importantly having read Lord of the Rings, there's a part of me that can't help but be amazed I fell for such a collection of cliches. I will continue, but I don't think I'll be touching any other books from my childhood for a while. I don't know what I'd make of Winnie the Pooh now...

The manual of an add-on kit which turns a bicycle into an e-bike.

Book:

"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman

Our oldest daughter had to choose a book/novel about the Vietnam war and write an essay about it. When I had to do it at my politic/history classes I was choosing the above book, so I searched it in the old book boxes in our barn, read it again and gave it to my daughter.

The book uses an interstellar war to write about the problems soldiers had when returning from Vietnam. In the book they fly through wormholes but a flight taking 1 year of their live was 300 years on earth, so each time they return to earth they feel like strangers in their own land.

Fantastic book and there are confirmed rumours that Ridley Scott may use it for a 3D movie.

I'm reading Jeffrey Archer a prison diary, volume II purgatory, and started with the Millennium series, by Stieg Larsson, Still on the first book, the girl with the dragon tattoo

Delta!

German TV was co-producing the Millennium trilogy movies and aired it as a 6 episodes series earlier this year, very close to the book. Sadly sundays at 11pm because of youth protection. Noomi Rapace did a fantsatic job playing Lisbeth. For cinema the 6*90minutes TV series was dramatically shortened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaw0XMAimZ8

Wonder how Holywood will ruin the Millenium trilogy.

I really hope Ridley Scott does 'The Forever War' movie, but hopefully not as a pure action movie, keeping the political content.

Edited by chattius

I'm reading Jeffrey Archer a prison diary, volume II purgatory, and started with the Millennium series, by Stieg Larsson, Still on the first book, the girl with the dragon tattoo

Delta!

Jeffery archer's a favorite of mine, I've gone through a number of his books. I'm currently reading Yhe Great Santini. Book had Robert Duvall in it and was terrific

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Girl with the dragon Tattoo. I loved it, I was repulsed, I was completely obsessed, and I had sleepness nights over it. I only hated the last paragraph. Can't wait to get started on the next one, The girl who played with fire. Finishing Jeffrey Archer: A prison Diary Volume II Purgatory tonight as well

Delta!

• 2 months later...

Finished the Millenium Trilogy a week ago. it was fan-freaking-tastic. Now I have 2 Kathy Reichs and the new Jeffrey Archer novel, Only time will tell, waiting for me.

I've read a few Archer novels a few years back. Always enough to keep me entertained. Ever read Kane and Abel?

gogo

Yip, I've got all of Jeffrey Archer's novels and short stories.

Kane and Abel was one of the first ones that I read, very good novel, I love the way the reader grows with the characters.

Delta!

That book's such a classic. It's also a lot different from some of his other spy stuff. I just love the detail he puts in, and makes it so friendly to us readers to just want to come along while he tale-tells.

Another one of my favorites was the one where a street fruit vendor goes on to become one of the most powerful store owners in the world... Trump stores, or something like that? Yeah, these are the kinds of books I love to have for long airplane trips.

gogo

All of Yrsa sigurdardottir novels that I have read so far have been crime based stories.

I love the characters that she builds, as she really brings them to life. She writes a really griping story and gives a wonderful insight into Icelandic life.

I lurve her to bits ! :heart:

Steve. :)

I'm going to try this one out from the Library. If I like it, I'll put my money where my mouth (or eyes in this case are) is.

are is. I am English great! ;)

Frost/Dave

Could say I'm currently reading some Warhammer novels. Namely Felix & Gotrek saga by William King and Nathan Long. Really great epic fantasy, I'd say. Started reading them in English some time ago and was totally sold.

That book's such a classic. It's also a lot different from some of his other spy stuff. I just love the detail he puts in, and makes it so friendly to us readers to just want to come along while he tale-tells.

Another one of my favorites was the one where a street fruit vendor goes on to become one of the most powerful store owners in the world... Trump stores, or something like that? Yeah, these are the kinds of books I love to have for long airplane trips.

gogo

As the Crow Flies, is the novel you are referring to gogo. It is the life story of Lord Charles Trumper. As the crow flies, and a Prisoner of Birth are my favourite Jeffrey Archer Novels, I feel inspired when I think of the Characters.

Delta!

All of Yrsa sigurdardottir novels that I have read so far have been crime based stories.

I love the characters that she builds, as she really brings them to life. She writes a really griping story and gives a wonderful insight into Icelandic life.

I lurve her to bits ! :heart:

Steve. :)

I'm going to try this one out from the Library. If I like it, I'll put my money where my mouth (or eyes in this case are) is.

are is. I am English great! ;)

Frost/Dave

Hey there Frosty mate. :bye: <------- *waves hello, not goodbye !*

Yrsa has just released her fourth novel, so may I advise to read them in the order of release, as they will make more sense. Although they are individual stories in themselves, there is a continueing theme, and character progression etc.

Just my thoughts, but of course, you are free to read them however you see fit my friend. ;)

What ever you decide, I very much hope that you enjoy the books...............else I'm going to look like a jolly silly banana !

Bye for now.

Steve. :bye: <---------- *waves goodbye, not hello !*

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished with the Millenium trilogy a while ago already, and the Jeffrey archer prison diaries vol 1-3, busy reading Kathy Reichs, 206 bones, and Jeffrey Archer, Only time will tell.

Delta!

206 bones,

Nice title

Horror?

gogo

Well, horror thriller type of novel, like her other novels as well, it features Tempe Brennan as the main character, so far a very good read!

Oldest had to learn for theatre at school, playing Sittah in Lessing's Nathan der Weise - Nathan the Wise. So I more or less re-read the whole book to be able to do the other roles when she was training.

I even found the interpretation I did in my schooltime about the central piece of the book, the ring parable. The main difference is that I had to write it in classical literatur classes while she does it in ethic classes. The main difference is probably that my old class was 29 german, 1 spain and 1 turk while hers is 13 turkish, 8 german, 3 russian. So the ring parable is the most inportant part to choose this book for school theatre.

Easteregg:)

At least in the german version of SAcred2 there is a town mayor named Nathan. The town has a Doctor Faust too, so perhaps it are the names from these two books thousands of german kids had to read:

Gothe-Faust

Lessing - Nathan the Wise

the ring parable.

Ahhh, this is interesting and stays in my head from my read of your post. I have just again re-read A book from Thomas Covenant's The Gap series. Terrifying, exciting, intelligent stuff. The first book was mailed to me by a friend from here, on these boards, Erialc. She mailed me the first book in the series. Horrified and hooked after that first read,I tracked down all the rest that I gobbled down quickly over the next few weeks.

Apparently the author, Covenant, claims inspiration for this series from The Ring. It was actually the first ever analysis of The Ring that I'd ever read, my first encounter with it. It gave the series that much more depth.

Hmm, road sign for my next read then?

:D

gogo

Lessings 'Nathan' is most known for the (from wiki)

Ring Parable

The centerpiece of the work is the Ring Parable (German: Ringparabel), narrated by Nathan when asked by Saladin which religion is true: An heirloom ring with the magical ability to render its owner pleasant in the eyes of God and mankind had been passed from father to the son he loved most. When it came to a father of three sons whom he loved equally, he promised it (in "pious weakness") to each of them. Looking for a way to keep his promise, he had two replicas made, which were indistinguishable from the original, and gave on his deathbed a ring to each of them.

The brothers quarrelled over who owned the real ring. A wise judge admonished them that it was impossible to tell at that time – that it even could not be discounted that all three rings were replicas, the original one having been lost at some point in the past; that to find out whether one of them had the real ring it was up to them to live in such a way that their ring's powers could prove true, to live a life that is pleasant in the eyes of God and mankind rather than expecting the ring's miraculous powers to do so. Nathan compares this to religion, saying that each of us lives by the religion we have learned from those we respect.

Covenant is about the Wagner Opera Der Ring der Nibelungen. Most people probably know the opera from the movie 'Apocalypse now'. 'The ride of the valkyries' is played when the helicopters do their sunrise attack.

One of the best performances of Ride of the Valkyries

The scene in Apocalypse now

Where the idea for the scene in Apocalypse Now was 'stolen'/inspirated. German News about the paratrooper invasion of Crete in 1941. Ride of Valkyries is played at the start of the planes, about 2 minutes 50 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIyRk33pf30