Currently Reading...

soldats

Didn't like the movie all that much, but the scene in particular I do enjoy watching over and over and over... maybe it's the song, or just the saying:

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like.... victory :viking:

Hrmm... that ring parable is actually one I haven't heard before. Well, maybe I have but in my youth I was bombarded (weren't we all?) with stories that had some lesson to be learned from it, so many "morals to the story" that I cannot remember them all 8/

I had to spoil myself today! I actually just had to go to the pharmacy to buy my insulin, but weak-willed me, had to go and make a detour to Exclusive books, and I once again ended up buying books... again...

Spud.

Spud, the madness continues...

and Spud, Learning to fly

by South African author John van de Ruit.

I immediately started with Spud, and it has been a laugh most of the time, the writing is excellent and very funny stuff that happens!

Delta!

• 3 months later...

Just read the book my oldest gave to me. Fouth book about a coroner who has the bad luck to be able to listen to the voice of the ghost of the person in morgue drawer 4. Its the cost of a murderd car thief. The ghost and the coroner have to solve crime cases of other ghosts who appear at the pathology in the book series. Sadly I got the fourth book first, the others has the boy friend of the oldest, and so I kinda had to do a dive mid nto the series.

But 4th is really funny, the coroner is going to become a daddy and has no time for the car hief ghost. So the poor ghost is busy trying to babysit the ghosts of 4 kids who are in a coma after a car crash. He has to solve the crime case an the babysitting on his own.

German crime series, playing in Cologne, new concept of a dectective pair. The first book of the series was recently translated into english.

http://www.juttaprofijt.de/en-books.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1611090326

• 1 month later...

I've just gotten into Jo Nesbo. Finished The Redbreast yesterday and have just started reading Nemisis.

Very good books. Great story lines with gripping writing.

Only small fault was the first Harry Hole (the detective and main char) book (The Redbreast) was a little hard to get into at first. I looked online and found out that it actually wasn't the first one after all ! For some strange reason, they started translating the novels from number three ! How bizzare. :huh: Meant that there has been stuff happening in the first two novels that seeped into the next book which I obviously don't know about. Don't know if they'll ever do the first two, but I'm into the style now and enjoying Jo's work, so all is cool.

Steve. :cool:

Edited by cider_steve

I am currently reading Brisingr, from the Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini, and after that Inheritance.

In the mean time I have finished Angel, by James Patterson(it is part of the Maximum Ride series) and I still have 2 new books that I have to finish, still a lot of pages that needs to be turned...

Delta!

Having come fully up-to-date with A Song of Ice and Fire, finishing A Dance with Dragons last week, I thought it was time to leave fantasy aside for a while. I'm onto The Secret Life of Bletchley Park by Sinclair McKay, which looks into the events at the World War II code breaking centre and the lives of those who worked there. As Bletchley is just across town from me, it's local history.

Hey there Delta mate. What style of fiction are those ? I mostly read crime novels or non-fiction stuff myself.

Steve. :)

Brisingr and Inheritance are the 3rd and 4rth Eragon Books.

The Maximum Ride Series is a teenage thriller series about kids that had experiments done on them and their DNA was altered, now "The Flock"(Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gazzy and Angel) are 98% human, 2% bird/avian. and the Lab wants them back, they have to save the world, help stop major companies destroy Eco systems, oh and try to stay alive...

Delta!

Several books from Mark Benecke. Funny person, former punk rock singer, candidate for prime minister of a german state, inventor of several CSI/criminal sets for kids, writer of several books (kids and adults),... best known probably because he is the insect man in criminology. He was teacher at the FBI school, german and several other polices, ... He asked a surgeon to implant a magnet into one of his fingers to delete credit cards, search and collect metal pieces and other useful stuff (at least in his opinion).

Some of his experiments for kids include: building a rocket car from matches and a matchbox, breeding flies to identify the maggots (do we really want our kids to do this in our house?), ... Or do we want magnets in the fingers of our daughters?

So some books with real cases, some books with experiments, a book named something like: why nerds with tattoos have more sex, ... So it is probably a good decision to pre-read the books, before our 12 year old does it.

RSV_Spiewamesse2011_SpurensicherungamTatort.jpg

and now the normally hidden tattoos

Rebel+Ink+Mark+Benecke+001.jpg

and co-singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcmol70ODas

• 1 month later...

I kind of like getting a kick out of reading a bout the mathematicians and how it all is a part of the universe and can help us be entertained by how much "sense" everything makes. Course my gift has never been one for numbers, and that's why I'm reading a schlocky by Clive Barker... called Cold Heart Canyon...yes yes, I know, it's horrible...but it's so fun!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:oooo:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the Inheritance cycle. It is a good read, and I will recommend it to anyone that has lots of spare time on their hands. I have started and finished The Hunger Games, the first book in The Hunger Games Trilogy, by Suzanne Collins, and I can't wait to go and buy the second and third books. In the mean time, I'm reading Jeffrey Archer, Only Time Will Tell.

This...

101965700.jpg

A quick Copy & Paste summary...

"Drizzt Do’Urden has become the Hunter, the bane of the orc hordes still ravaging the North. Cut off, alone, convinced that everything he ever valued has been destroyed, all that’s left is to kill, and kill, and kill, until there are no enemies left. But there are a lot of enemies, and even the Hunter is just one lone drow."

Enjoy.

I remain, :thumbsup:

Drizzt... how fortuitous! I just bought two of the series books for when I was flying to Bethesda and back...as entertaining as ever. I'd completely forgotten about The Hunger Games series...would have loved to read that while travelling, but I bought my books from a second hand book store, I'm wondering if they would have been available.

:)

gogo

Etherian: I'll second that! Will be bying 'em whenever I get some dough. Been building my own little "library" lately. Read that one and the others some years back in Finnish, but I ought to get the original English set, it's just that much better. ^^

Gogo: I wonder... Been trying to hunt few books from such places too, but I guess they're too new to float in those bargain bins. Surely would pay the whole price from what I've heard, but budget's a bit tight nowadays...

Also, just finished reading Belgarath, by David Eddings. Next thing's gonna get both the Belgariad and Malloreon. I've possibly read them about 10 times by now, but I still like 'em lot. However, next on line will be Althalus. I wonder why I have the thing for all these 800 pages + books. xD

Also, just finished reading Belgarath, by David Eddings. Next thing's gonna get both the Belgariad and Malloreon. I've possibly read them about 10 times by now, but I still like 'em lot.

yeah, me too. The detailing on spell mechanics is nothing short of exquisite. Reminds me of the kind of writing that was in old-school A D and D (advanced dungeons and dragons) hardcover books with which people would run the rules by.

gogo

Certainly something else after all those intricate spells in many other fanfasy- settings. Not that I loathe 'em or such, it's just nice change of pace. Like was the rune magic in Death Gate Cycle.

Weis & Hickman really put up some complicated backgrounds. After reading all those appendixes I was positively light-headed. :P

Certainly something else after all those intricate spells in many other fanfasy- settings. Not that I loathe 'em or such, it's just nice change of pace. Like was the rune magic in Death Gate Cycle.

Weis & Hickman really put up some complicated backgrounds. After reading all those appendixes I was positively light-headed. :P

We are absolutely on the same page on this. I LOVED the spell systems of runes/tattoos in the deathgate series, for a year or so, Haplo was my hero!

gogo

• 1 month later...

At the moment reading Bitten By Sarah Graham loving it so far and busy with Hunger games loved the Maximum Ride series am really addicted to Mercedes Lackey and Tomara Pierce also loved the House of Night series and all Anne Rice books but have yet to read The Wolf gift. I guess it it easy to see that I love fantasy love picturing all the fantastical and magical adventures in my mind and if it has Mages, Elementals, shapeshifters, Witches and vampires I am all for it. I also enjoy thrillers and crime fiction so I have a diverse taste in books lol :wub:

Reading's been a bit on hold, with all gaming and stuff, but started Dragonlance-saga once again. This time in English. Soo much better. ^^ But still, at times Tasslehoff's quirks make my head ache from time to time. Just can't quite positively stomach all that Kender mindset, or something... Also, added some Star Wars books on the -to get- list, namely Thrawn- series and few ones after it. Chatted with friend about 'em yesterday and was surprised how much I remembered about 'em, being about 10 years I've read them.

Too bad, from Crystal Star and later on things kinda put me off somehow. Similar to Transitions-trilogy by Salvatore. Name surely is omen with that one... I'll miss you, Cattie...

And Warwolf: It's good to have diversity. Must confess I just can't find myself getting interested on other types aside fantasy and sci-fi. Surely there are tons of great books, but they really fail to catch my interest.

Edited by Stormwing

Hey stormwing I know what you mean I really love my fantasy as well. I have always found the kender really funny and sweet because they never steal, objects just find a way into there hands and pockets, :D but ya the Dragon Lance series is really good I havent read them in ages but think I should do it again soon

In the meantime, I have finished the Hunger Games Trilogy (with Catching Fire and Mockingjay) from Suzanne Collins. started and finished Witch and Wizard by James Patterson. Finished Only Time Will Tell, by Jeffrey Archer... and went on a book buying spree. :smart:. got Roald Dahl Fantastic Mr Fox and the wonderful story of Henry Sugar and six more. Got the new Kathy Reichs in softcover, Flash and Bones,. and already thinking of more books that I want to go and buy as soon as my salary gets paid by the end of the month...

Delta!

In the meantime, I have finished the Hunger Games Trilogy (with Catching Fire and Mockingjay) from Suzanne Collins. started and finished Witch and Wizard by James Patterson. Finished Only Time Will Tell, by Jeffrey Archer... and went on a book buying spree. :smart:. got Roald Dahl Fantastic Mr Fox and the wonderful story of Henry Sugar and six more. Got the new Kathy Reichs in softcover, Flash and Bones,. and already thinking of more books that I want to go and buy as soon as my salary gets paid by the end of the month...

Delta!

Im going to finish the 2nd book you gave me of the hunger games trilogy and think im just going to lend you my ebook reader and let you read some of the books on there there are some great stuff. I know it isnt the same as having that smell of paper in your hands but I think there might be some books on there you will love. Dont know why I didnt just give them to you lol but im loving the books you loaned me and I so want to get into your Roald Dahl Books and I need to find a book of Revolting Rhymes.

Warwolf :4rofl:

post-26236-0-06060200-1342110473_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Falling deeper into the depths of Dragonlance- epic. :P

Finished Chronicles and delving into Legends once again. Too bad all those Fifth Age- books are under the stone. Haven't been able to find 'em directly on European online stores.

Luckily place called Alibris helps. Although need to buy 'em from States. More P&H and longer delivery. Oh well, at least they're there. :)