Currently Reading...

soldats

I guess everyone got some book(s) they read at least once every year.

For me, those books are "Lord of the Rings", by Tolkien, "It" and "The Stand" by Stephen King; and both in the uncut version.

I've read the first two this year - as well as a lot of other books - and am currently reading "The Stand".

One of the reasons I keep reading those books, is because every time I read them, I discover something new in them.

The gaps between those books are usually filled with some new books I keep buying, or with the "Jack Ryan" series by Tom Clancey.

So one might say I like the bug uns.;):D

Thorin :)

For me, those books are "Lord of the Rings", by Tolkien, "It" and "The Stand" by Stephen King; and both in the uncut version.

I've read the first two this year - as well as a lot of other books - and am currently reading "The Stand".

One of the reasons I keep reading those books, is because every time I read them, I discover something new in them.

The gaps between those books are usually filled with some new books I keep buying, or with the "Jack Ryan" series by Tom Clancey.

I know exactly what you mean. I read the Harry Potter books every year and everytime I notice something that I can't remember from a previous time... I've also read the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus 2ce in 2years time. And then I'm always busy with a Jeffrey Archer novel on the side.

Delta!

I know exactly what you mean. I read the Harry Potter books every year and everytime I notice something that I can't remember from a previous time... I've also read the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus 2ce in 2years time. And then I'm always busy with a Jeffrey Archer novel on the side.

Delta!

• Like! 1

I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series...though to be honest I only saw the movies and didn't read the books.... would recommend the Swedish (original) movies over the US adaption. Heck even with subtitles I was captivated...Noomi Rapace was perfect as Lisbeth..

As far as books go...been in a bit of a drought...nothing has really held my interest lately....though I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and now starting the 2nd book, The Wise Man's Fear. So far so good. A little different from most books I read, as it's basically all told in 1st person format, as he's telling his life story to a scribe.

• Like! 1

So one might say I like the bug uns. ;):D

Delta!

It's funny...I remember a parent once telling me that their kid could just watch the same short cartoon (relatively, about twenty minutes long) over and over again incessantly... and then what's interesting is that after this, all we want is new new new, and then, we settle into having this super human ability to "see" the depth in anything we've previously read or seen and keep finding new stuff...

Fascinating!

:blink:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

currently: Rubinrot (don't know if it's called that in english)

recently: Life of Pi, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice

from time to time: Dune (Frank Herbert), Hobbit+LotR (J.R.R.Tolkien), Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley), Hhgttg (Douglas Adams)

enjoyed: Darktower series (Stephen King), Alex Benedict series (Jack McDevitt), Twilight saga (Stephenie Meyer), Call of the Wild (Jack London)

todo: T. rex and the Crater of Doom (Walter Alvarez), Bible, Quran, Percy Jackson (Rick Riordan)

special thanks: there were some 50 paperbacks from the Shadowrun universe released here and I completely enjoyed every one of them. Wouldn't want to live in that world, but it makes for awesome stories. Anyone interested in SF/Cyberpunk, try one of these.

As far as books go...been in a bit of a drought...nothing has really held my interest lately....though I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and now starting the 2nd book, The Wise Man's Fear. So far so good. A little different from most books I read, as it's basically all told in 1st person format, as he's telling his life story to a scribe.

I enjoyed the Name of the Wind a lot. It promised a lot of great things to come. They weren't delivered in the second book though. I felt a few moments of major disappointment.

Recently: the Diablo-themed novels by Richard Knaak

Just finished: The Hunger Games trilogy

Currently: none.

Waiting be read: Shutter Island, the Divergent trilogy

Just recently picked up reading again, I pretty much stopped reading since highschool...

I recently finished Double Cross which is about a real life 'mob boss' Moony Giancana including his early youth up to when he was running deals with the CIA. It is a true story told by his brother.

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading the Belgariad: pawn of prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magicians Gambit. Book 4 and 5 I don't have but I ordered them and should arrive in a coupla days.

I enjoyed the Belgariad a lot. Although I was much younger and inexperienced in fantasy literature then. I had the editions where books 1-3 were in one single book and 4-5 were in a second one.

I never continued the saga because I read that Eddings got very formulaic and repetitive with his stories. I did enjoy his stand alone novel The Redemption of Althalus however.

• Like! 1

Erich Maria Remarque: Der Funke Leben / Spark of Life

I had to read it in german in history class when I was 14 and in english class when I was 17. Now our second had to choose a book for her history class and I told her to read this one. Bet I reread it every 4 years till the twins left school in 9 years :)

I place it very high in my top 10 lists of books I would recommend to friends.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64097.Spark_of_Life

64097.jpg

• Like! 1

current: the Dome by Stephen King

waiting: the Hunger Games trilogy...got it last year christmas and my daughter got through it twice so far...should spend more time on reading! ;)

@Thorin

not only the same favourites in games, also the same in reading... :D

• Like! 1

Now reading the Belgariad: pawn of prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magicians Gambit. Book 4 and 5 I don't have but I ordered them and should arrive in a coupla days.

I enjoyed the Belgariad a lot. Although I was much younger and inexperienced in fantasy literature then. I had the editions where books 1-3 were in one single book and 4-5 were in a second one.

I never continued the saga because I read that Eddings got very formulaic and repetitive with his stories. I did enjoy his stand alone novel The Redemption of Althalus however.

Loved that series!

Really liked how they detailed out all the small bits that made up that grand world

choice and prophecy duking it out at the end...

AWESomepic!!

:superman:

gogo

• 6 months later...

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I'm not sure exactly how I got this book. I got an e-mail from the library saying a book I requested was available. I didn't recognize the title. Picked up the book, looked at the cover and read the inside of the jacket, still no recollection.

The story is set in WWII. The first character is a blind French girl who lost her sight as a small child. The second is a brilliant German boy who ends up in the army. The book has two story lines. One at the start of the war and another at the end, and the two lines converge at the end.

An amazing story. A+

• 1 month later...

I have finished The Fallen and Laviathan by Thomas E Sniegoski.

Currently I am busy with the Alex Rider series, I got the whole set as a belated birthday gift 3weeks ago, and I finished the first 3 pretty quickly Stormbreaker, Point Blanc, Skeleton Key, and I am now busy with Eagle Strike the 4th one.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

currently at Book eight of Game of Thrones, starting at the beginning of the year with the series

I just finished the second one, and I've got the third one reserved at the library.

currently at Book eight of Game of Thrones, starting at the beginning of the year with the series

Say whaaaat? I thought there were only 5 books so far. What am I missing? :blink:

• 5 months later...

in Germany there are ten books of Game of Thrones!

the eightth is called "The Dark Queen"

probably mismatch with the TV-series? there are 5 so far...

They must have split up the books into smaller pieces in Germany.

Anyway, I picked up some new books the other day.

I got Sword of Destiny, the 2nd collection of Witcher stories, which finally got an English translation! I read The Last Wish years ago and then Blood of Elves, but I could tell I was missing something... turns out this book is the missing piece. Finally I can get started on the books that go along with my favorite epic game series of all time.

I also found out that Brandon Sanderson has published 2 more Mistborn books while I wasn't paying attention. These are set in his Steampunk-wild west era of his Mistborn universe, which I kind of like more than the original setting in the first trilogy.

Finally I picked up a penguin book of the best of Charles Beaumont's stories. Beaumont wrote a lot of stories that ended up being adapted for The Twilight Zone tv show. So, lots of creepy, fantastical stuff with bizarre plot twists.

• 7 months later...

Currently busy with Inheritance, the last of 4 books in the inheritance cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance). also reading Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix, and A prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer. when I am done with them... or at least one of them, I want to start with 2 new Rick Riordan books that I got, The trials of Apollo the hidden oracle and Percy Jackson and the Greek heroes.

I then also want to start reading the Kathy Reichs books again, and I want to finish the Jonothan Kellerman books that I have had for years and have only read 3...

Delta!

• 1 month later...

'Forty days without shadow' from Oliver Truc. My daughter gave me the french version so it will take some time. My wife and my daughter said it was good.

It is a thriller placed in Lapland with the Reindeer Police trying to solve a murder. Conflicts between the native Reindeer herders and modern norwegians who survey for minerals. Reads good, learn something about the living north of the polar cycle and its thrilling.

forty_days_without_shadow_-_an_arctic_th