152 replies to this topic

#141 gogoblender

gogoblender

Dark Sun Guardian

• Administrator
  • 32,041 posts
  • Platform:PC

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

Now reading the Belgariad: pawn of prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magicians Gambit.  Book 4 and 5 I don't have but I ordered them and should arrive in a coupla days.

I enjoyed the Belgariad a lot.  Although I was much younger and inexperienced in fantasy literature then.  I had the editions where books 1-3 were in one single book and 4-5 were in a second one.

I never continued the saga because I read that Eddings got very formulaic and repetitive with his stories.  I did enjoy his stand alone novel The Redemption of Althalus however.

Loved that series!

Really liked how they detailed out all the small bits that made up that grand world

choice and prophecy duking it out at the end...

AWESomepic!

:superman:

gogo

#142 lujate

lujate

Cobalt Warrior

• 3,292 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I'm not sure exactly how I got this book.  I got an e-mail from the library saying a book I requested was available.  I didn't recognize the title.  Picked up the book, looked at the cover and read the inside of the jacket, still no recollection.

The story is set in WWII.  The first character is a blind French girl who lost her sight as a small child.  The second is a brilliant German boy who ends up in the army.  The book has two story lines.  One at the start of the war and another at the end, and the two lines converge at the end.

An amazing story.  A+

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." -Gandhi

#143 Delta!

Delta!

Chief Chef Ancaria Cullinary Sciences

• Supporting Member
  • 4,776 posts
  • Steam Name:theunha

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

I have finished The Fallen and Laviathan by Thomas E Sniegoski.

Currently I am busy with the Alex Rider series, I got the whole set as a belated birthday gift 3weeks ago, and I finished the first 3 pretty quickly Stormbreaker, Point Blanc, Skeleton Key, and I am now busy with Eagle Strike the 4th one.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!, 09 August 2015 - 06:30 PM.

Delta!

#144 Dorimil

Dorimil

Chromium Defender

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Steam Name:Dorimil

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

currently at Book eight of Game of Thrones, starting at the beginning of the year with the series

#145 lujate

lujate

Cobalt Warrior

• 3,292 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

currently at Book eight of Game of Thrones, starting at the beginning of the year with the series

I just finished the second one, and I've got the third one reserved at the library.
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." -Gandhi

#146 Flix

Flix

Modimus Prime

• FDM Moderator
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Say whaaaat?  I thought there were only 5 books so far.  What am I missing?  :blink:

Diablo 2 Fallen Mod         Sacred 2 Enhanced Spells Mod          Flix's Music Mod for Sacred 2
   Elite Mounts Mod              Sacred 2 Character Editor           List of Mods and Modding Guides

Sacred 2 Nexus                    Sacred 2 Nude Mod                     Community Items Mod

#147 Dorimil

Dorimil

Chromium Defender

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Steam Name:Dorimil

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:24 AM

in Germany there are ten books of Game of Thrones!

the eightth is called "The Dark Queen"

probably mismatch with the TV-series? there are 5 so far...

#148 Flix

Flix

Modimus Prime

• FDM Moderator
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:31 AM

in Germany there are ten books of Game of Thrones!

the eightth is called "The Dark Queen"

probably mismatch with the TV-series? there are 5 so far...

They must have split up the books into smaller pieces in Germany.

Anyway, I picked up some new books the other day.

I got Sword of Destiny, the 2nd collection of Witcher stories, which finally got an English translation!  I read The Last Wish years ago and then Blood of Elves, but I could tell I was missing something... turns out this book is the missing piece.  Finally I can get started on the books that go along with my favorite epic game series of all time.

I also found out that Brandon Sanderson has published 2 more Mistborn books while I wasn't paying attention.  These are set in his Steampunk-wild west era of his Mistborn universe, which I kind of like more than the original setting in the first trilogy.

Finally I picked up a penguin book of the best of Charles Beaumont's stories.  Beaumont wrote a lot of stories that ended up being adapted for The Twilight Zone tv show.  So, lots of creepy, fantastical stuff with bizarre plot twists.

Diablo 2 Fallen Mod         Sacred 2 Enhanced Spells Mod          Flix's Music Mod for Sacred 2
   Elite Mounts Mod              Sacred 2 Character Editor           List of Mods and Modding Guides

Sacred 2 Nexus                    Sacred 2 Nude Mod                     Community Items Mod

#149 Delta!

Delta!

Chief Chef Ancaria Cullinary Sciences

• Supporting Member
  • 4,776 posts
  • Steam Name:theunha

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Currently busy with Inheritance, the last of 4 books in the inheritance cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance). also reading Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix, and A prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer. when I am done with them... or at least one of them, I want to start with 2 new Rick Riordan books that I got, The trials of Apollo the hidden oracle and Percy Jackson and the Greek heroes.

I then also want to start reading the Kathy Reichs books again, and I want to finish the Jonothan Kellerman books that I have had for years and have only read 3...

Delta!

Delta!

#150 chattius

chattius

Sacred 2 Site Guru

• 3,965 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

'Forty days without shadow' from Oliver Truc. My daughter gave me the french version so it will take some time. My wife and my daughter said it was good.

It is a thriller placed in Lapland with the Reindeer Police trying to solve a murder. Conflicts between the native Reindeer herders and modern norwegians who survey for minerals. Reads good, learn something about the living north of the polar cycle and its thrilling.

forty_days_without_shadow_-_an_arctic_th

Dieses Lied ist für einen guten Kumpel der seinen letzten Kampf gegen seine Krankheit verloren hat:
Über den Wolken

This song is for a good friend from my aero-club who lost his final battle against cancer.

#151 Gilberticus

Gilberticus

Spectral Mercenary

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

I'm currently reading 'A Separate Reality' by Carlos Castaneda. Castaneda is an author and anthropologist, the book is his memoir discussing his apprenticeship with a Yaqui brujo named Don Juan Matis. I'm absolutely fascinated by this book, more from an anthropological sense than a spiritual sense, but I am enthralled by some of the imagery that Castaneda paints. 

#152 chattius

chattius

Sacred 2 Site Guru

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Ben Aaronovitch 'Rivers of London'

Nice mix between fantasy, magic and crime

https://en.wikipedia...vers_of_London_(novel)

Dieses Lied ist für einen guten Kumpel der seinen letzten Kampf gegen seine Krankheit verloren hat:
Über den Wolken

This song is for a good friend from my aero-club who lost his final battle against cancer.

#153 gogoblender

gogoblender

Dark Sun Guardian

• Administrator
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Ben Aaronovitch 'Rivers of London'

Nice mix between fantasy, magic and crime

https://en.wikipedia...vers_of_London_(novel)

a Black magic sherlock holmes!

:D

gogo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users