Caution: Massive Problems with Add-On and Windows 7

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?sh...c=12259&hl=

I hope Jens doesn't mind if I'd steal one of his first lines and modify it a bit, for my my own warning-thread here ;) :

Hey,

don't waste your time by thinking you'll save some time by shoppin the addon asap on release...

they screwed it again ...

first a few things..

for many users, the addon already caused a lot of inconvenience even if they're not trying to run the Addon on Windows 7 :

the official release date for the german version is today, 28.08 ..

however, many retailers already had it in stores 2 days ago, on Wed 26.Aug..

now, just like the basic Sacred 2 version, you have to register your copy of the addon online via SecuROM ..

however, the registration servers were offline the last 2 days or at least for most of the users..

this is, because release day is today.. at least that's what 'they' claim why it wasnt working earlier.

alrighty then, now most of the Win XP and Vista Users seem to be able to register their version sucessfully by now,

but most if not almost all Windows 7 users still have massive problems.. (and some others too, but esp. Win7)

first of all: Windows 7 hasn't been officially released yet.

Sacred 2 as well as the Addon have no Win 7 support

and neither is it W7 optimized nor was it tested on it

if Sacred 2 and/or the Addon will ever get patched/supported for use on Windows 7, is unclear at the moment

however, with some tweaks the Main Version, Sacred 2 was running very well on Windows 7,

up to patch 2.4 even sometimes with less problems than on other systems.

then patch 2.43 came and things changed a bit, due to reasons unknown,

one had to select 'run as administrator' and the 'windows xp sp3 compatibilty mode' for the sacred2.exe in order to prevent a crash right on start in 99% of all cases..

but even with this modifications, it then ran quite well, at least for me, even in windowed mode and multiple instances at the same time

(however I got exe crashes a lot if idling too long in any of the closed MP lobby screens.. char selection, server overview.. didn't matter)

Now, regarding the Sacred 2 Expansion/Addon, Sacred Ice & Blood:

• registration in Windows 7 mode didn't worked after installing the addon...
  • after either selecting (I cant remember, but iirc) the Vista SP2 Compatibility Mode or in native mode,
    today @ 28.08 registration was successful after endless attempts and game launched
  • however the game crashed a lot, so I switched to XP SP3 mode again (had in mind that it worked best for 2.43)
  • now, the registration from before got invalid, got the securom nagscreen again and had to re-register..
    (in XP SP3 mode I couldnt register, so back to native / vista modes)
  • for launching and preventing the game from crashing I had to enable Win XP SP3 mode again,
    however registration got invalid again and had to be renewed..
  • now, finally it got screwed and on startup, the SecuROM stuff in the sacred2.exe tells me on startup:
    "too many registrations, please contact Suc-U-ROM @ www.blahblah......"

well, I ain't got no time for this,

I use Linux as main OS and only 1 wind'oh! version, which happens to be Win 7 x64 RTM which also unfortunately isnt' working for Sacred 2 Addon...

so, at least for the next month and before you all run away to the addon servers in september, we will still be able to see each other on the classic Sacred 2 closed HC servers ;)

I for one cancelled my amazon order for the other 2nd copy of the Ice & Blood addon,

and brought back the 1st version to my local retailer where I got it on 26.08...

maybe, someday it will run on Win 7, maybe they'll patch it (SecuROM and DeepSilver) , or maybe some other, clever users from the community find a way+strategy to make it work..

if that will ever happen, I see a chance to buy it again, by then it'll have the positive side effect that it'll also be cheaper then now ;)

Greetings RL

Edited by gogoblender

Rotluchs:

Are you on the RC or on the RTM (build 7100 = RC, lower number than that is Beta, Build 7600 is RTM for those who don't know the names compared to numbers)? I've seen reports that Win7 x64 RTM works much better than 2.43. If this is the case, perhaps whatever incompatibility in the addon under RC is fixed under RTM.

Of course, if the problem is really a problem, this is bad news.

Rotluchs:

Are you on the RC or on the RTM (build 7100 = RC, lower number than that is Beta, Build 7600 is RTM for those who don't know the names compared to numbers)? I've seen reports that Win7 x64 RTM works much better than 2.43. If this is the case, perhaps whatever incompatibility in the addon under RC is fixed under RTM.

Of course, if the problem is really a problem, this is bad news.

I use Win7 x64 RTM (MSN)

Sacred 2 v2.43 (dont know if I had the RTM or RC for 2.4o tho..)

Ice & Blood v2.6x , out from the box.. (well, been using, I gave it back)

latest, win7 'optimized' drivers for gfx+sound,

and microsofts standard ide/sata/ahci/raid drivers for the ICH9/10 controller on my P45

as they seem to be more stable than the ones from intel, and work better for my SSDs with latest indilinx fw atm ;)

edit:

well if more people would return their copy of ice&blood with feedback for the reason (doesnt run on win7.. yet?)

and - (like here: www.gamestar.de (article in german lang)) online-mags also add a few words to this, then chances are higher that it'll get fixed.. maybe... ..someday..

Edited by Rotluchs

Scary news this is Rot. We're actually waiting for our Windows 7 to arrive in the mail after ordering it via special on amazon. Can the game be run maybe with two OS's on one comp, one compartmented?

:)

gogo

actually, the thing with windows 7 is, that without any compatibility mode set, there is a chance to make it register successfully online..

BUT secuROM does not remember this,

so next time you will have to register again, and after about 2 attempts your serial will get BLOCKED so u would have to contact secuROM via their website/mailservice

normally, like with sacred 2 fallen angel (no addon) it should work, like you know they just recently upped the limit of possible registrations from 2 to 4, for a period of 3 months (so you can register it on lets say 2 pc's with 2 different OS's each.. or 1 pc and 4 OS's)

however, again.. that IS NOT working for windows 7 atm since registration is bugged, or let's say the suck-u-ROM part in the sacred2.exe

I really hope that there will be an official Windows7 fix either by deepsilver or sony / secuROM right in time, when windows 7 will be out in stores in october or sowhere around then...

I am NOT willing to install more than one windows OS on my PC, although I could.. got an old Win XP SP2 retail version as well, but I want to make use of all my 8 Gig Ram, for just only one reason why I don't want to switch back from Win7...

besides Windows 7 ultimate x64 RTM 76xx I have Ubuntu 9.04 x64 and Fedora x86 installed...

cool.. 3 OS's where I can't play the Sacred 2 addon with :) well.. then so be it... although it hurts a bit..

stay tuned I will try to keep you informed whenever I read something new regarding this Win7+Sacred 2 Addon matter on GSF or anywhere else..

Edited by Rotluchs

I have also purchased the addon in German and was trying to run it in Windows 7. I was getting the same errors and eventually ran out of activations. I sent a complete story to Securom with screen shots, etc. and I received an email this morning with instructions on how to get it working.

At the end of the email was this link.

https://support.securom.com/pop_sacred2.html

It seems they have updated their troubleshooting page about the same time the sent me an email because I had checked this page earlier while troubleshooting and the workaround wasn't there.

I am going to try it right now to see if it works and will let you guys know!

Here is a copy of the steps in case you are link lazy.

Q: I would like to run 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood' under Windows 7

A: Sacred 2 does not officially support Windows 7. However, Windows 7 offers a "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" which should allow you to run 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood'. Unfortunately that "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" in Windows 7 contains a bug which prevents the correct online activation of 'Ice & Blood'. The SecuROM team has escalated this to Microsoft, in order to get this fixed. In parallel, a workaround is offered, so that you can enjoy 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood' under Windows 7 "XP Compatibility Mode"

To prepare the update:

1. Ensure that 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' and 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood' have been installed on your Windows 7 PC.

2. Ensure that your Window 7 User Account has administrator privileges

3. Run the 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' revoke tool:

http://download.securom.com/support/sacred2/revoksib.zip

To run the update, please perform the following steps:

1. Please click on this link to download the SecuROM Diagnostic Tool, which will assist you in this update process: http://download.securom.com/support/srdiag.zip

2. Unpack the downloaded zip archive to a temporary folder

3. Double-click the setup.exe and follow the installation instructions

4. Start the SecuROM Diagnostic Tool (default: Start --> Programs --> SecuROM --> Diagnostic Tool --> Diagnostic Tool)

5. Choose the location where 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' is installed installed (e.g. default: c:\Program Files (x86)\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe)

6. Carefully read the instructions of the SecuROM Diagnostic Tool, and follow the instructions

7. In case an Online Activation Dialog comes up, please select "cancel"

8. After the update process the SecuROM Diagnostic Tool will ask if the application should be started now, please select "no"

To configure 'Sacred 2' for Windows XP Compatibility Mode:

1. Go to the folder where you installed 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' (e.g. default: c:\Program Files (x86)\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe)

2. Right-click the file "sacred2.exe" and choose "Properties"

3. Choose the tab "Compatibility"

4. Enable the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

5. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and press "OK"

To complete the activation process:

1. Start the game

2. Follow the on-screen instructions to activate both 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' and 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood'. Please take care that you have the correct, individual serial numbers for each package 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' and 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood' at hand

3. The game should now start

Seamus, this is great information you have posted, thank you! I've got Windows 7 coming in the mail soon, and me and Schot were wondering how we were going to get it to run with Sacred 2 and the Expansion. We were considering running it compartmentalized? If the information you have received works, perhaps it will be easier for us to use.

:)

gogo

Well, I tried it. It updated my sacred2.exe with a new securom but unfortunately I was still blocked by a 'too many activations within timeframe' error. Once they raise my limit again I will try again.

Edit:

I can confirm the workaround works. I have restarted the game multiple times now and have had not problems.

ps. As I don't speak German I have copied the global.res file from a en_UK install to my de_DE install and can confirm the text will be changed to English. The only problem is anything added with the addon, ie. Dragonmage CA tooltips, will be blank.

Does anyone know where I can get English translations, or even explanations in German that I could google translate, of the Dragonmage CAs?

Edited by Kirii