Sig Request / help with editing needed

Rotluchs

Hi there,

I have some troubles with creating a Signature for a friend of mine..

recently talked to my collegue at work about our hobbies, turned out we share the love for pc-games..

well I personally mostly play arpg's , some round-based strategy and a bit of arcade racers..

anyways, she's more into that browser-game stuff,

seems she loves that one here in particular:

"Travians"

(anyone ever heard of it?)

http://www.travians.com/

tho she.. and recently me too now, that makes we.. play on the german servers..

http://www.travianer.de/

now about that Sig, as you might have guessed already, it's gonna be for travians..

told me she would like a sig featuring our local lake on it in the background, as it refers to the name she has chosen for her guild..

so, here's one, it's the Wörthersee in Carinthia/Austria, sort of alpine lake ...

you won't see my home town on it tho, if you look at the picture it would be in the very left end of the photo, however it's hidden by a small mountainside

(geographically , Klagenfurt would be @ east of Wörthersee)

http://www.glundnerkas.at/resources/_wsb_keyvisual.jpg

so, I have neither photoshop nor paintshop or whatever else here.. only paint.net atm, thats all I could find (for free AND legal)

what I was thinking of was a forum-sig based on the above image, but oval/elliptical, meaning a crop-selection of the center, cutting away all edges..

for the basic shape, maybe a bit like this:

http://www2.pic-upload.de/04.09.09/ua6gd94cb1s1.png

now, what I wanted to do next is to fade out/blur/soften the edges, like 1cm broad, all around the border of that 'squashed circle' :)

donno how to describe it better...

it should look a bit more diffuse/transparent/bleached toward the edges, for a softer touch and so that it would fit in better regardless the graphical style/colour of the forum my collegue would be using it..

..im so darn untalented and blind, I found some 'blurry' effects in paint.net , but couldn't find out how to select a custom selection properly, as I don't wanna use the effect on entire image..

so, my simple question is:

does anyone know how to get there with paint.net,

or would anyone else be so kind doing all the magic for me with paintshop/photoshop (or whatever) ?

I'm a little bit puzzled, feeling lost with all this image-editing stuff.. :P

So long,

and tyvvm in advance,

James

I'm not currently on a machine that has it, but as a free image editing software, I would suggest GIMP 2.6.x- it's pretty robust. MAybe not photoshop, but still quite good (my own avatar and sig were made with GIMP). Be sure to get 2.6 and not 2.7 though, since the latter is more in a testing stage; it may run into more bugs and errors.

It sounds like you likely want to be cropping out the edges and then feathering (so as to get some fade in on the edges). I can probably scare something up at some point, but it may be a bit before I really have the opportunity (I.e. regular denizens of this forum, feel free to help this gentleman out)

pretty much as spotmarkedx said, the best free option is GIMP. I myself use PS so I dont know if the feather function is the same in GIMP, but in photoshop, if you feather and saves as .GIF, you will have cut out the featherd area, and in .jpq it will fade out.. if I remember correctly -.- so if its the same thing, an easy way would be to feather the desierd amount of pixels and then saves as .GIF and open it and feather again and save as .JPG.. maybe?...

that... didnt make much sense.. maybe?

sorry -.-

Alright since nobody else has done anything yet, I'll show you what I would do with this request - I personally like rounded rectangles more than ovals, and I added a quick dropshadow and text:

quicksig1.png

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/chiximi/quicksig1.png

I also cut down the size a tad from the original since PNG format can start getting pretty big, at least as far as filesize goes.

Not sure why the preview is complaining about the image link - ah well, click the link above to view

Alright since nobody else has done anything yet, I'll show you what I would do with this request - I personally like rounded rectangles more than ovals, and I added a quick dropshadow and text:

quicksig1.png

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/chiximi/quicksig1.png

I also cut down the size a tad from the original since PNG format can start getting pretty big, at least as far as filesize goes.

Not sure why the preview is complaining about the image link - ah well, click the link above to view

img link working on my screen :4rofl:

ohh and now I see what you mean spotmarkedx, I was under the impression he wanted to do it himself. and I honeslty did not notice

or would anyone else be so kind doing all the magic for me with paintshop/photoshop (or whatever) ?

^__^seems like you did the magic :bounce:

thx, Randall ...

I think she can choose now from these 2 and decide which one to use for her sig..

say, so these results are from Gimp ?

could you just sum up the tools/effects you've been using,

or each step of the whole process (if differing from what Erling posted)

so later at any given time if I should ever need it or feel like doing it,

I could tool around a lil bit more myself as well ? :D

oh, and maybe you could re-upload the img without text, so I could play around myself a lil with various fonts etc ?

ty,

greetings

James ..

Edited by Rotluchs