Base Damage Rings and "Spells"

So I have a 7-7 base damage ring, and I'd like to use it to improve spell damage, but I'm not sure how to do it?

I tried socketing it in armor, but did not see the change reflected in any of my spells. Also, if I have a spell which heals, will the base damage ring improve that as well?

static dmg rings only affect weapon based attacks.

you should be looking for +xx% rings, which affect all dmg, be it weapon based or not.

the only way to increase healing from Combat Arts is to memorize more runes or spending more skill points in the aspect lore

thanks for the fast reply. I am just trying to figure out how to increase BASE damage.

;-)

Hi Solomon.

I think it's actually the question that is misleading us...I know because I used to ask the same question a few months back when I first got the game...and was never really satisfied with any answers. This morning I read your post here, and I was wanting to answer it, but instead took it with me to work, where it clicked for me.

Melee and ranged can actually increase base damage with simple socketing of Physical Damage rings. It's easy, and it's actually the element in the weapon itself that launches the attack that determines what kind of melee or ranged damage will ensue.

For a magic user, it's different. Spell casters first have to determine what type of element they are using in their attacks via their choice of Combat Art first... and only then afterwards socket the corresponding elemental damage ring if so wishing.

They don't have a general physical damage ring which can be modded by a weapon's Damage Type to the chosen element as per non spell users.

For a Pyro Magic, you will be looking to socket Fire Damage Jewelry which will up the damage on your fire based attacks. If you were casting Magic spells, you would, as above, socket magic damage rings.

Those will directly increase the base damage of your selected element. As well, socketing the chosen spell's rune itself will also increase your base damage while saving on some regen as compared to eating the rune. Armor with native levels of your chosen CA in it will also boost your base damage of your chosen CA.

I don't think there is really any equivalent for a Magic User regarding the melee/ranged Physical Damage Rings that they socket which amp all damage for all elements.

However, if you're looking for an easier socketing experience, and wish to boost your spell damage, you can always run to the blacksmith. His Damage Smith runes will affect all manifested damage in the game...very useful for hybrids...especially if you have a friend at higher levels who can socket your items for you in his higher levels after which you can use them in your own lower level. That would be about the most equivalent thing to the Physical Damage Rings that I can think of.

Socketing Plus skills can also directly affect your spell damage by modifying a higher level of use of runes that you have read. If you have read a lot of runes, and then socket plus skills, your focuses will go up, and you will "release" a higher level of spell cast. As well, if you have chosen Ancient Magic for your build, socketing Plus Skills will increase the level of that skill which will directly raise your chosen spell's damage.

Socketing Plus All Combat Arts will also increase your spell damage by increasing the level it is cast at, but with it comes the commensurate amount of regen which must be managed.

Spell Intensity, well I asked Schot about this, and he says it's like the equivalent of melee/ranged CTH (Chance to Hit) the higher your Spell Intensity, the better the chance of your spells to successfully damage your opponent when they land.

Hope this helps, good luck with the game.

:P

gogo

For spells its like (base damage) * (modifiers)

To the base damage adds only:

Level of the CA and perhaps intelligence (for some CA)

To the modifiers % values add:

combat discipline, ancient magic, +x% damage from buffs or equipment, +x% fire damage from buffs or equipment if the spell has fire damage( then only to the fire damage -other damage types equivalent), the magic lore which affects your spell

So for spells you need higher level CA for more base damage, but that longers the regeneration time.

Then there are some pseudo spells: magic coup, this serafim CA ( sword fire?) which are a mixture and weaponclass adding to base damage.

Then there are weapon Combat Arts were weapon class and damage x-x equipment adds to the base damage too.

Hope my early morning english did not add more confusion than removing existing one.