Patrick Swayze Dies

Katran

After a 20 month hard battle with cancer Patrick Swayze died at age 57. :unsure:

R.I.P.

Loved his movies he will be missed.

p.s.: Damn what a year for famous people. :)

Huge bummer. Seems like the good ones go way too early. He was married to the same woman since 1975. You just never heard anything bad about the guy. Ever.

RIP

This was distressing news for me when you posted it Kat. You know, I have only seen one movie he was in in it's entirety, "Ghost" but I did like it a lot, and the song still is in my head.

I had the impression that he was a "tough" guy, of sturdy stuff. It frightens me a bit that even someone like this can succumb to a disease with all that inner strength. This kind of stuff was in my head last night, when I read the post here. I jumped to net news where I read for the first time about his battle with cancer and had a lump in my throat when I saw that pic of him in final year.

RIP

:)

gogo

Well he was quite the tough type Gogo. It wasnt just the looks. Even though he was sick he kept on working. Finished his memoirs and he made the TV show the Beast.

What really says how strong he was physically and mentally is the fact that while he was making the Beast he wasnt taking any pain killer so he could give his performance its all. And this being with a cancer that was very very painful.

I read that it was Pancreatic Cancer. I`ve heard that particular type of Cancer is very painful, and very quick-acting. One of the quotes I had read from Patrick when he had found out that he was diagnosed was about how angry he was. So this is what happened... someone `who is very strong, first being told that he has cancer and that for even five years, that is almost too lucky... with two years being the norm. Stuff like this is frightening...that we can be so good shape in life, and when something like this happens, there is almost no escape.

Yes, this news has somewhat distressed me. I`m an existentialist at heart, I`ve sort of always believed that core strength, faith and some hope can get us through most of the barriers up in life. When I read about things like this, it`s almost like someone who I can see as being on the same path or road as me regarding how to go through their life, being beset by something like this and then not being able to make it through...

Or perhaps he did? Whoopi Goldberg, close friend and confidante of his has been quoted as saying`...He`s doing it like the rest of us...one day at a time.

That`s good words

:)

gogo

Internal (organ) cancer can rarely be beaten. I know of only 2 cases. My friend's Mom had some kind of gut cancer. She was sent to the terminal ward. After 6 months they sent her home because she refused to die.

My cat had a huge tumour (probably her spleen)... she was given 6 months. She survived 4 years---and the tumour subsided after about the first year.

It can be survived I believe through cuss-ed-ness (like my Mom's friend)--a stubborn refusal to do anything to anyone else's tune... or by love in the case of my cat. A powerful force needs to confront it.

Patrick Swayze was a very good man in every sense: handsome, strong (physically, mentally, emotionally). He pitted his strength against a deadly disease that came to him later in life when resources get scarcer... and succumbed.

Mr. Swayze was here in Winnipeg making a movie a few years ago. Everyone who had contact with him had good things to say about him.

His performance in 'Dirty Dancing' is phenomenal. I think gogo would enjoy the movie and it's positive message VERY much. He was very good in 'Ghost' too. And also in 'Too Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Numar'. Another bizarrely positive film (drag queens and positivity don't often go together in my world).

Mr. Swayze contributed to the world. He will be missed.