Damage Conversion Question

No, only damage natural to a weapon is affected.

If you have a Staff with natural half physical and half ice and socket a lava piece:

+x% damage will work on physical and ice

+x% physical damage on the physical part

+x% ice damage on the ice part

+x% fire damage will have no effect

Doesn't matter if it are jewels or buffs. Damage over Time modifiers however uses the converted damage type.

Magic coup for a high elf for example can use fire skin and fire demon to raise the natural fire damage of a weapon before magic coups changes all into magical damage.

Edited by chattius

So what your saying is that if I'm running a ice melée highelf I should socket magic or ice on my swords to have an effect?

Or for example my elf using crystal skin with an Ice Flash what elemental stone can I socket that is of benefit?

Edited by Furian67

Natural damage is this bar you see at the weapon statistics before socketing. If a part of it is red and not yellow then it has natural fire damage. You can push only this natural fire damage with + x% fire damage from jewels or fireskin (gold mod) or firedemon buffs.

Analog cold and crystal skin gold mod.

the damage calculation goes kinda like this:

1. natural damage types
  2. apply +x% damage stuff to all natural damage, and +x% fire/ice... damage stuff only if it is natural to the weapon
  3. If a damage modifier is socketed change all non physical damage to the type of the modifyer.
  4. If a damage modifier is socketed change x% of physical damage to the modified damage type and add it to the damage from the step before
  5. Extra step for magic coup: change all non physical damage from above to magical damage and part of the physical damage too

Because of the 2 times changing part of physical damage to magical a weapon with a modifyer does nearly 100% magical damage late in game with magic coup.

Edited by chattius
No, only damage natural to a weapon is affected.

If you have a Staff with natural half physical and half ice and socket a lava piece:

+x% damage will work on physical and ice

+x% physical damage on the physical part

+x% ice damage on the ice part

+x% fire damage will have no effect

That came out very well. Clear, and solid info. I'll see if I can put something like that into the wiki as well. Nice bit of writing Chattius.

:thumbsup:

gogo

p.s. KA, correct...damage conversion only affects weapons and ranged weps...for magic, you have to socket their own specific elemental damage type or smith runes, death blow, crit, etc

A socketed damage modifier changes the boosted damage, as does magic coup.

Crystal skin boosts the ice damage of a weapon with natural ice damage, like ice flash.

Then a damage type socket changes this already boosted ice damage.

Magic coup works in a last step with the already boosted and transformed damage from all the steps before. The damage boosting is done in step one by crystal skin, not when magic finally transforms the damage.

Doing a damage modifier in a socket at magic coup helps to transfor mmore damage into magical damage.

Say that you have a lava piece which changes 50% physical to fire and magic coup changing one third of physical to magic.

Step one will give you 50% physical and 50% fire, because of the lava piece. Now magic coup will transform one third of the 50% physical and all the fire damage into magical: result

33.3% physical, 66.7% magical compared to 66% physical and 33% magical without the lava piece.

So a damage modifier helps you to do SAME total damage but more magical damage and less physical.

So a damage modifier helps you to do SAME total damage but more magical damage and less physical.

Well, technically it sometimes increases the total damage a bit. I think it's because of the way the game rounds up the numbers :)

• 11 years later...
5 hours ago, Fredki said:

anyway to convert non-weapon based combat arts damage? like Fiery Ember convert fire to poison? :help:

Some weps come with native damage elemental types built in. If you're looking to building a specific type of elemental damage build you can hunt up weps that come complete 

ranged uniques for example all come in a variety of damage types as base 

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:All_Class_Unique_Ranged

:)

gogo

7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Some weps come with native damage elemental types built in. If you're looking to building a specific type of elemental damage build you can hunt up weps that come complete 

ranged uniques for example all come in a variety of damage types as base 

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:All_Class_Unique_Ranged

:)

gogo

so Forging only convert on weapon and weapon based Combat Arts.

non-weapon based Combat Arts need weapon have option conversion damage to fire , example Death's Chirr gun can convert Icy Evanescence damage to fire?

• 5 months later...

In regards to damage conversion as Magic Coup was mentioned a few times, its mechanics elude me. E.g. I used an pure poison damage 'Essence of Dark Matters' with Magic Coup resulting in an almost pure magic damage with the CA. Why is that? Is the wiki correct with "Converts 33% Physical Damage into Magic Damage"?

Edited by ameaeth