DarkMatters - Very Scary Pumpkin Contest

The Northern winds are blowing, whistling it's way through window and door cracks. It's the sound of a special hallow eve. Just last week in fact a full moon haunted the night sky. Signs that the coming of something spooky is near at hand. Halloween!

This year, like many before, DarkMatters will put on it's Halloween costume which our talented bhj put together. We thought it might be fun to change the top of the Halloween skin this year so this time around we'd like to see some heads roll. Pumpkin heads that is! Put down that machete gogo. :)

The contest is really quite simple. Create a Jack-o-lantern graphic. Feel free to use whatever program you like. For myself I'm familiar with Photoshop so what I would do, (if I was allowed to participate, boo hoo), is search for a nice tutorial on how to design a jack-o-lantern. I did try a google search for one and was delighted to find an awesome tutorial on the first google search page. This tutorial looks sooo awesome!

Design a Halloween Pumpkin (Photoshop)

Photoshop must be bought but it is possible to use a trial. Adobe provides Photoshop for download as a 30 day Trial. You'll need to register on their site to start the download.

Oh and what do you know... There's even a Gimp version of the very same tutorial. Sweet!

Design a Halloween Pumpkin (Gimp)

Gimp is a free graphics application and it's really quite good. So by all means. Even if you don't know how to use it, try it anyway. The tutorials are excellent and will walk you through the process.

EDIT:

Found some more tuts!

Photoshop Pumpkin Logo Stock Photo Very cool!

Pumpkin Tutorial Me likes. Cool style

How to paint in Photoshop using a mouse Also a cool style

Halloween Pumpkin Tutorial Very quick and easy. Not as hot lookin as the two above though.

Halloween Pumpkin Wallpaper Sharp vectory tut

I couldn't find more Gimp tutorials but Gimp is very similar to Photoshop so it might be possible to apply the Photoshop tutorials in Gimp.

/EDIT

That's pretty much it folks! The contest begins... Now! Be creative, be scary and most of all have fun. :)

Details

• Your pumpkin should be a minimum of 300px in height but bigger is just fine.
  • Multiple entries are allowed
  • You can post here your pumpkin with a background but please save a PNG version of your pumpkin without a background in case we want to use only the pumpkin.
  • Background is not necessary since we only need the pumpkin. However... If your background happens to be totally awesome we might use that too!
  • Please post your pumpkins here in this topic.
  • Entries will be accepted up until the 24th of October.
  • Voting will take place from the 25th - 27th of October.
  • The Halloween Skin with the contest winner's new Very Scary Pumpkin will go up on the 28th of October and stay up for a week.
  • Be sure to save your Gimp project as XCF or your Photoshop project as PSD. Backups are always great.

Ok well I think we can close this one. Congratulations AgentSmith! *promptly closes topic and slaps that pumpkin onto the Halloween skin* :)

Very nice AgentSmith. I especially like the text, hehe. Boy did you make that fast though. Like... 20 minutes after I posted the contest. :blink: I think it would have taken me at least 2 days to get that far, lol. Nice! :)

lol, ok ok. Re-opened! :lol:

Hmmm, I was thinking about that very thing JaguarGal and I think it would be a lot of fun to allow multiple entries. Sooo. Yes! By all means. :D I might even make one myself just for fun. That tutorial looks too good to pass up on. Even if I'm not allowed to enter it in the contest. ^^

Oh and by the way. It doesn't have to be any particular style. It can be real-ish like the tutorial, it can be cartoony, it can be hand drawn, it can be 3D rendered. Any style is good!

You're welcome. ^^ omg I just came across a whole bunch more tutorials and they look pretty cool. I did some more searching and picked out some of the ones I really liked. Here you go!

Pumpkin Tutorials:

Photoshop Pumpkin Logo Stock Photo Very cool!

Pumpkin Tutorial Me likes. Cool style

How to paint in Photoshop using a mouse Also a cool style

Halloween Pumpkin Tutorial Very quick and easy. Not as hot lookin as the two above though.

Halloween Pumpkin Wallpaper Sharp vectory tut

I'll add these to the first post. I couldn't find more Gimp tutorials but Gimp is very similar to Photoshop so it might be possible to apply the Photoshop tutorials in Gimp. :lol:

Ok well I think we can close this one. Congratulations AgentSmith! *promptly closes topic and slaps that pumpkin onto the Halloween skin* :D

Very nice AgentSmith. I especially like the text, hehe. Boy did you make that fast though. Like... 20 minutes after I posted the contest. :blink: I think it would have taken me at least 2 days to get that far, lol. Nice! :lol:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of awesomeness that is Smitty! :D

Can't wait to see the creations people (with real talent) come up with! I know some of the best graphic designers are gamers :)

Buwahahahaha~

Hours of working, to produce my fairly-fail pumpkin : p

PumpkinDM-1.jpg

Just the pumpkin (but glowy~! <<=>>)

I think this was my first time actually getting really...physical with Gimp. I had no idea how to do masks before this XD;;;

*wants to go have more fun with overlays and fractals and such, now*

(edit) Hmm...I probably should have just kept the pumpkin in the original picture, because my selections always suck. Good thing I can do another ;3

Edited by JaguarGal
And that's just the tip of the iceberg of awesomeness that is Smitty! :angry:

Can't wait to see the creations people (with real talent) come up with! I know some of the best graphic designers are gamers :)

Oh? Has someone been holding back on us? Hmmmmm... Come on Smitty. More pumpkins. I'z hunnngry. ^^

Oh and I see some JaguarGal action over there. Check out tha FDM pumpykin. :D Nice! Why do I have a feeling you're going to be trying the tutorials 5 times over, hehe. It is quite fun. I tried one myself this eve. *stuffs evidence into incinerator* :whistles: Ok to be honest it turned out reeeeaaal bad. So I have declared that the tutorial I tried totally suxxors. Omg it is soo misleading. The tutorial is reading alonf all hunky dory and saying things like; "Just do this.. And then that. Just like I did. See how easy it is!". Uh huh... Yeah now if you would just tell me HOW. Ahem... It's ok. I'll be alright tomorrow. ^^

For the record it was the Photoshop Pumpkin Logo Stock Photo tutorial that I was trying. That Pen Tool isn't very forgiving I tell yeah. Bad tutorial, bad. Of course I'll be at it again tomorrow, haha. Yup, they call me the glutton. Glutton for punishment right here.

Oh here's a lil something for you Jaggy. It's a vector of the fdm logo. Feel free to beat a pumpkin with it. It's a psd but I'm fairly certain Gimp can use psd files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ojwlqynkmwe

Maaaaybe~

I might try doing 2-D pumpkins too, though ;3

Woohoo, a vector! 8DD

I totally took that itty bitty one in the middle of the logo at the top, messed with it a crap load, tried to turn it into a somewhat reasonable vector, failed, enlarged the tiny one to be giant, traced around the edges, and got something that was almost right XD;;;;

So thank you~ 8D

*pats* Don't you hate those misleading tutorials? I have been there. Indeed. I admire your determination :3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fought through this tutorial. No way any tutorial is gonna beat me down. Nuh uh! I'm actually starting to have a bit of fun with this tutorial. I really had to follow every detail in the tutorial as closely as I could since the written guide is minimal at best. After a lot of experimenting I'm starting to develope something I like though. Here's what I got so far.

There's no escape lil pumpykins!

Ok... Not sure what;s up with the arm. I think I'll try a tentacle. Oh yesh!

myPumpkin.jpg

hehe, thanx Dragon Brother. Boy that arm growin out of his head has GOT to go. Gonna see if I can draw a mini pumpkin in the big one's mouth with all kinds of blood and guts. Mwahaha!

Well I fought through this tutorial. No way any tutorial is gonna beat me down. Nuh uh! I'm actually starting to have a bit of fun with this tutorial. I really had to follow every detail in the tutorial as closely as I could since the written guide is minimal at best. After a lot of experimenting I'm starting to develope something I like though. Here's what I got so far.

myPumpkin.jpg

zomgod, frigging awesome! The arm coming out like some kind of weird, chicken arm... *shudder*

:P

I've got just a few days to go to come up with something for the site... I hope my lack of drawing talents don't scare away folks for that reason alone!

:)

gogo

myPumpkin.jpg

Nice schot!

I'm brushing mine, because, well, I can't use the pen tool... :tease:

being overconfident and stubborn (bad combination :thumbsup: ) I decided not to use any tutorials. lol

I even sketched a (lame) scenario.. because I was bored, lol

pumpy.jpg

standalone pumpkin. 2 versons.

v1pumpsmall.gifv2pumpy.gif

because im such a great guy... so anyone with little time... or are lazy -.- can contribute with just drawing mouth and eyes on.

ohh I just realised I saved the clean pumpkins at 1000x700 -.- if anyone uses them remember to crop.

Lol...someone wake up a bit bloodthirsty?

Must be low on iron. ^^

zomgod, frigging awesome! The arm coming out like some kind of weird, chicken arm... *shudder*

:heat:

I've got just a few days to go to come up with something for the site... I hope my lack of drawing talents don't scare away folks for that reason alone!

:lol:

gogo

Get yer crayons quick gogo. :P

my first try xD :

First Try

had to do imageshack cause photobucket refused to show it xD

p.s. im better with brushes than scrap images T.T

Lookin good there nostalgic. Those uber lighting effects are quite something. :)

So is there a recommended guide for a graphic noob. I'll have to download PS or Gimp.

I'd recommend the first tutorial in the first post locolagarto. :)

Nice schot!

I'm brushing mine, because, well, I can't use the pen tool... :D

Thanx! *refrains from speaking fRACTAL's true name. hrmf*

Can't wait to see it fRACTAL. I'm eyeing one of the brushing tutorials actually. Could be a lot more fun, and less painful, than the vector tutorial I did.

Awesome idea! I love it! I'll have to whip something up... evil pumpkin coming right up! :D

Scraaaappy. Make it pumpkiny. Make it eviiiiil. _evilpumpkin__by_clairebearer.gif hahaha. I love Smiley Xtra. ^^

Well, so far no real competition! I iz winnar! bwahahahahaha!

lol, some awesome submissions guys! I bow to your talents :resp:

I think I might have to take myself off the judging panel, lol.

being overconfident and stubborn (bad combination :P ) I decided not to use any tutorials. lol

I even sketched a (lame) scenario.. because I was bored, lol

Wicked Erling. That is sooo cool. Dangit, I need a Bamboo! Sooo jealous here. :P Awesome piece of work.

Hehe, looks like there's some fun new stuff :3

Ohmai, I just realized that this ends in 2 days XD;;;;

I gotta try just one more tutorial before this is over! Which one, which one...