Farmer Schot's Spirit Farming Guide

Alright I'm gonna confess right off the bat. I'm totally slacking off on this one and copying my write up from the one I wrote for Youtube. I prooooomise I'll write a more in depth description tomorrow though. Promise! Basically I was running through the Orc region and came across one of these Ogre Champs. He started summoning right away and I though I'd just let him live a while and see what I could get from him. After a while I realized he was actually summoning quite fast. Almost as soon as I killed one of his summons he was casting a new one. These guys can only have two summons active at a time so I thought, "Hmmm, this could be better..." I went out looking for another and after a while I did. Hence the video. I hadn't planned to record this which meant I had to scramble to get my fraps going. Not an easy task while under attack, haha. It isn't easy to get this trick going but I do have a couple strategies to speed up the process of finding two. More on that tomorrow. ^^

So you need some good rings and amulets to equip? It's a well established fact now that Energy type enemies are most likely to drop rings and amulets so here's a farming technique to get you those goodies.

Ogre Shaman Champions are great for this trick. They summon Ancestral Spirit Champions which belong to the enemy type, Energy. In fact they are summoned very quickly by the Ogre Shaman Champions. It's perfect for farming. Plus if you can make them follow you to a Hero Statue you'll get loads of experience from them as well. Farming at it's best! I managed to get 9 Unique rings and amulets in about 45 mins of farming. :)

Edit:

And here's a little something more. I've tried a few locations in the orc region and the strategy in the pic below seems to work best for me.

SpiritFarming.jpg

And here's some oher locations you can try:

SpiritFarming2.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schot, a.k.a Farming master or Captain Farmer lol

Great idea mate, my video card is finally back, I'll give a try to this asap, cause my only Closed HC char is level 5 atm.

Cya

PS : must be great with a high armored reflective char... AFK Farming ?

Edited by Nihilith

Good lord...Schot how do you keep coming up with stuff like this! This little focused run using spirits... genius. Specially since with Ice and Blood it's looking like certain jewelries are almost priceless regarding Bargaining and protection.

First class video and article... as usual.

Good job!

;)

gogo

@nihilith: I think I might be taking the whole "Farmer" thing too far but I think it's growing on me, haha. Oh... Get it? Farming, growing. Har har. I keell me. Gratz on the vid card btw. Being without a vid card makes for an unhappy gamer eh.

Interesting point about the reflect... I think I might turn my reflect off when farming the Spirits. I think it might be affecting my drops since it the little damage ticks from reflect may count against me in terms of how fast/efficiently my kills are. I go by the one hit kill rule for best drops and I'm assuming the reflect might be a bad thing... Would be sweet if I could afk farm though. :D

@Chareos:

Yes sir! :D I added a pic to the first post showing my fave way to get the job done. ^^

@gogo:

Completely random gogo, haha. Well... Maybe not so random. When I came across the Ogre Champs and their Spirit buddies it got me thinking about the first Sacred. Remember the "Donuts of Death"? For those who didn't play we used to farm Goblin Shaman summons for runes. Man the stuff just piled up in a neat circle around the player. Loads of fun!

Thanx!

@Antitrust:

I would LOVE to be able to get a third Oge Champ. Now that would be awesome. Two Ogre Champs can total a max of 4 Spirits summoned at any given time. 6 Spirits would be... :drool: I guess there is always a chance it could happen doing it the way my pic describes, (just added the pic). But still I'm not even able to keep up with 2 Ogre Champs yet so 2 is good enough for now. Won't complain if I get 3 Champs. :)

If you really want a 3rd Ogre then you'd probably best be able to do it by having another player help you gather them. Who knows. Might even be able to get 4 Ogres with another player. ^^

Now the trickiest part in this is that it can be a challenge maintaining aggro on the Ogre Champs. Since you won't be attacking the Ogre Champs directly they tend to treat you in the same way as if you are running away. Eventually they might try to return to their spawn location. Wherever it was they were found. If the two Ogres you found were spawned nearby eachother and you just want to farm them for jewelry then you can fight their summoned spirits where you found them and you won't have a problem maintaining aggro. Or more to the point... They won't run away from you since you're standing at their spawn location.

If you want to farm them for jewelry AND make use of the nearby Hero Statue then you'll likely do what I do which is to have the Ogres follow you next to the Hero statue and fight them there. If you do then you'll need to walk near them once and a while. Let them smack yah once just to let them feel like they're part of the party. ^^ Then they'll stick around. Watch out that the Ogres don't get stuck in one spot. There is a spot on the ground in front of the Hero Statue that the Ogres sometimes get stuck on. Not sure why but if it happens you'll lose aggro. They'll pause for a long while when this happens and when it does you'll need to push them off the spot. Chance to knock back is perfect so if you're so inclined you could prepare a very low damaging weapon slot socketed with Chance to knock back jewelry. Chance to knock back is fairly easy to shop for using a Bargainer.

There's other locations where Ogre Champs spawn but the one in my pic "I think" is the most successful. Directly East, South and West of the Orc city Karagh are other spawn locations for Ogre Shaman Champions. For the record... The first time I did this was very nearby Karagh and the video I posted is at the Hero Statue nearest Karagh. I tried a few times after the first farming to locate two Ogre Shaman Champs with minimal success. It's a gamble as to where you choose to seek out these dudes. :)

That's it for now. I gotta jack up my damage and see if I can one hit kill the Spirits. Hopefully that'll give me even more uniques. Oh, speaking of uniques. Here's what I found during two sessions of farming in Niob. About 45 mins of farming.

EDIT:

Added more pics to first post.

SpiritJewelry.jpg

Holeee Moleey...talk about a great haul...in forty five minutes?

lol, you'll probably soon have to start charging for Spirit Farming lessons for interested folk Schot

:D

gogo

I tryed farming this morning. Had a hard time getting one to spawn but finally got one. experience was great but I didn't get any good drops other than money. I don't have EP, my chance to find valuables is about 35%. Maybe I need to get CFV up higher to get the drops your talking about. But the hunting of these champs was fun till I got too close to town and the ogre kept casting into town.

I did notice that when the ogre casts his minion he always casts to the north if that helps anyone to choose the battle ground.

I'm having this problem recently as well Furian67. Every since I changed my gear I'm having a harder time getting those uniques. I think this is probably an MF intensive strategy which can be tricky when factoring in damage needed to one or two hit kill the Spirits for better drops. When I did this the first time I had quite a lot of "Chance to find valuables forged. Since then I've been trying to level up so swapped out my MF gear for Experience. I'll have to try this again with some good MF gear. One thing that seems consistent though is the mentor pot drops. Farming the Spirits results in quite a lot of mentor pots. :D

Oh and about Antitrust's comment to have even more summoners... I found 3 together! :) It was pretty cool until my backpack filled up. Lemme tell yah it ain't easy trying to sell the crap in your backpack while 3 Ogre Champs and 6 Spirit Champs are pounding on yah, lol. 3 Ogre Champs is a biiiit much to handle when trying to clear my backpack, maintain aggro and watch my health which is blocked by the inventory window while trying to sell items from my backpack. Aaaaaah! Too much. Two Ogres are good enough. ^^

Oh and from what I've heard about Ice and Blood these guys will probably drop even better stuff. Seems they made special items drop more frequently in Ice and Blood. Can't wait to try! ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Do the ghosts in the mine in the high elf region have a higher chance of jewelry:) Theres plenty of them. BTW I found enrico's something or other a legendary (orange not brown) ring off one of your orc shaman champs summons. My first legendary +5% cast rate and 6 stamina at like level 35 or something like that.

Well I havent found any unique jewellery from these fellas, but ive gotten a few random gold things...and alot of ice crystals...way too many ice crystals

Same here. and lots of gold. my EP is very low though. only level 43 on silver

Ah those ice crystals are a pain. You really gotta start off with an empty inventory to do these guys. :P Getting some decent drops from these guys is going to be tough in Ice and Blood since we'll be needing decent MF AND very good damage. I'd say 2 hit kills and go for 100% Chance to find special items. When I had my lucky streak it was in version 2.43 which meant they were much easier to kill and for MF I had 40% from gear and about 200% from EP. Would be interesting to play LAN with an edited balance.txt just to see what they are capable of dropping. Hmmmm.

I'd say 2 hit kills and go for 100% Chance to find special items.

Do you mean 100% or plus 100%? The latter I assume.

I must admit, I've been doing this with no EP, no more than 5% MF from gear and a low level toon who at the time admittedly couldn't one hit a rat...now if I try it the only improvement I've made since would be kill speed but I haven't done it recently. I'm more focused on farming bosses for sets and stuff. However, even with my lack of any of the suggested capabilities (high mf, 1-2 hit ko) I was still finding plenty of nifty gold jewellery which can spawn with lots of handy mods, but being random you can get some complete crap too...

Do the ghosts in the mine in the high elf region have a higher chance of jewelry:) Theres plenty of them. BTW I found enrico's something or other a legendary (orange not brown) ring off one of your orc shaman champs summons. My first legendary +5% cast rate and 6 stamina at like level 35 or something like that.

I'm not familiar with that cave Claudius but as long as they aren't animal ghosts then you should be good to go. Animal type ghosts seem to only drop miscelaneous stuff. Gratz on the legendary!

Juar ran the Legend of Gronkor quest and the cave is looooooaaded with Ogre shaman champs and ghosts. holy crap it's full of them.

Must check that cave out. Oh yes! I didn't even think of checking caves for these guys. That one sounds like a gold mine. :blush:

I'd say 2 hit kills and go for 100% Chance to find special items.

Do you mean 100% or plus 100%? The latter I assume.

I must admit, I've been doing this with no EP, no more than 5% MF from gear and a low level toon who at the time admittedly couldn't one hit a rat...now if I try it the only improvement I've made since would be kill speed but I haven't done it recently. I'm more focused on farming bosses for sets and stuff. However, even with my lack of any of the suggested capabilities (high mf, 1-2 hit ko) I was still finding plenty of nifty gold jewellery which can spawn with lots of handy mods, but being random you can get some complete crap too...

Oops, sorry Dragon. I meant +100%. Heh. Ultimately I don't think that a ton of MF is important. I think kill speed is probably much more important than MF in terms of good drops. Granted I haven't reeeeaally tried to build up MF.

I thought so. I wonder how high you could get your MF if you really tried though and whether or not it would have any noticeable effect...*dreams back to the good old greedy dwarf days* :)

In any case, I always seem to fill my characters invent, shared stash and chararacter stash without any at all so its not like its hard to find sets and stuff, there just all the same ones! Never anything new :P

Your situation is exactly what I'm hoping to get around with the shamans. Sets and most uniques are relatively easy to attain. So long as a player has read up on the basics and a few of the guides they can farm sets and uniques. But what about farming for a very specific item? Then it gets real tricky. There have been various topics asking the question of whether or not certain set items drop from certain bosses, places etc. The question has yet to be truly answered with the exception of this spirit farming guide. We know that the Spirits can't drop armor or weapons, Energy type opponents are very unique that way, which logically would increase your chances of finding unique jewelry from them greatly. Now for those of us who are die hard shoppers this is a strategy worthy of much experimentation. After all. Shoppers gotta have their Greed amies right?

I'm going to try and build up my MF again. I haven't really bothered trying because I've been trying to adjust to the rebalancing in Ice & Blood. I started this guide in a matter of days before I upgraded which changed my build. Once I get a handle on my damage I'm gonna see about my MF again. Things have already improved since adding Ice and Blood so I hope to get back into this strategy soon. I got a need for Greed. ;)

Mwahaha, yes Dragon. The need is strong within you. I'd ask you to join the dark side but well... You already did. :cry:

Juar ran the Legend of Gronkor quest and the cave is looooooaaded with Ogre shaman champs and ghosts. holy crap it's full of them.

Holy crap loco. That's amazing! I just went there and I can't believe there are so many of them. :blink: Upon entering there were 4 Shaman champs welcoming me with open arms. I think they were actually casting deadly spells with their open arms but still! It's pretty cool. That has to be THE best place for farming them. In fact I think you may have uncovered a new Ghost Cave for Sacred 2. Best part is... In Sacred 2 it actually IS a cave, lol.

Well that settles it then. Gronkor's cave is certainly the most convenient spot for farming Ancestral Spirits. Guess it's time to update this guide. ^^