New laptop for the wife?

Llama8

My wife's currently got a Dell Inspiron 1300 (Celeron M380 1.6GHz cpu, 1 gig of 400MHz ram, Intel integrated Media Accelerator 900 graphics card) & we saw one of these (Athlon 64 TF-20 1.6GHz cpu, 1 gig of 667MHz ram, ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1200 graphics) in Morrisons (local supermarket chain) for £279. Question is, is it worth it?

Not sure how the Dollars converts to pounds, but I'm using a Dell Inspiron with 2.2 Ghz dual core I bought in Febuary with 17" screen and DVD burner for $500US. An I love it. there is other good equip out there but I have nothing but Dell in my house. I've had no complaints.

You guys are so lucky! In Sweden the prices are like 3x higher... Although laptops aren't really what I would prefer for gaming...

Definetly not for gaming. My desktop is a lot heavier duty with major vid card and memory.

BTW what kinda hardwear would I need to run sacred on the pc? Back whenn I played EverQuest I had to turn off all the spell effects when I ran my bard, twisting 3-4 songs at a time was too hard on my system back then.

My wife's currently got a Dell Inspiron 1300 (Celeron M380 1.6GHz cpu, 1 gig of 400MHz ram, Intel integrated Media Accelerator 900 graphics card) & we saw one of these (Athlon 64 TF-20 1.6GHz cpu, 1 gig of 667MHz ram, ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1200 graphics) in Morrisons (local supermarket chain) for £279. Question is, is it worth it?

I'd be saying no, but I have no price comparisons in pounds at the moment.

The laptop you link to is basically 'about' as powerful as an Asus EEE laptop. And that power hardly differs from the old laptop.

The graphics would pack a bigger punch, but that's not worth it to buy another one given the small difference (Xpress 1200 still is onboard graphics).

The laptop you link to is basically 'about' as powerful as an Asus EEE laptop. And that power hardly differs from the old laptop.

The graphics would pack a bigger punch, but that's not worth it to buy another one given the small difference (Xpress 1200 still is onboard graphics).

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking, I think the only difference would be that the newer one would be a dual core (I think). Ahh well, never mind...

Does it have to be a lap top for her? Is she absolutely looking to be mobile with it? Laptops you can get at about the same performance as desktop, but at double the price.

:)

gogo

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking, I think the only difference would be that the newer one would be a dual core (I think). Ahh well, never mind...

The laptop you linked to is a single core, I checked it at a processor finder website. So no, not worth it...

The laptop you linked to is a single core, I checked it at a processor finder website. So no, not worth it...

Oh, bugger.

Does it have to be a lap top for her? Is she absolutely looking to be mobile with it? Laptops you can get at about the same performance as desktop, but at double the price

Yeah, we got rid of her computer desk & free'd up a lot of room in the front room, so yes.

Proof...

You could always try changing the CPU in the old laptop, if you are willing to open it up? That could increase the speed of it a bit.

Don't expect wonders, though, because you probably could only go as high as a Pentium M, but those can be found running at about 1.8Ghz, which will feel a lot faster than the Celeron.

Edited by Timotheus

No it basically works the same. It's just that everything is smaller :( cpu is fitted on the motherboard with a heatpipe structure on top of it to cool it.

I see you've already got a Celeron at 1,6GHz in it, that's pretty fast already.

Though a Pentium carries more cache, and from the top of my head also seems to work faster than a Celeron.

Edit:

Actually, the fact that it is a Celeron M380 is quite the bonus. It has a Dothan core, which means it's FSB speed is 400MHz.

That's almost as fast as singlecore socket 479 processors can run. The latest models run their FSB at 533MHz, but I'm not sure whether they would work.

I'm trying to find you some compatible numbers for Pentium M parts:

The fastest you can go, is a Pentium M 765. It runs at 2,1GHz and has 2MB cache, and it has a few other bonus features the Celeron doesn't (Speedstep, among others).

IIRC, all Pentium M models with a 5 at the end of the three digit code should carry Dothan core, running at an FSB speed of 400MHz, being compatible to the laptop.

Edited by Timotheus
  • 2 weeks later...