Hard Core for Consoles challenge

This challenge is gentleman's honor. If you choose to undertake it. It's for the challenge and difficulty of not having the chest full of high level gear.

Unfortunately there are cheaters no matter what u do, only those with honor will deserve the satisfaction of completing the challange.

can we start a new profile and use that, so that way its a new empty chest.

im gona be a Shadow Warrior,using shadow veil,frenzy rampage w/telsa annilator. now u c me now u (BLAST BLAST BLAST)

Nice! Glad to have you on-board for the challenge! Will look forward to updates!

I did much the same thing, just emptied my chest onto "mules" so that I could use it (mostly for runes... although I know now that I didn't need to keep them all :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :sigh:

Mad Dog Dead. Level 70. Platinum.

Was heading to do the class quest mission in the Orc Land. Crossed the river, and started spamming spears as the orcs and bears closed in.

"Oooh, 3 champion orcs!" I thought. Better get Combat Alert on (since I had forgotten to activate it before pulling in the mob).

WHAM WHAM. Mount gone. "AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." I screamed... spamming health potions.

Whew. Still alive.

Whew. Combat Alert finally active. Lets get outta here! Since I was holding combat alert button in my frenzy, Mad Dog decided to fire off a shot from his arm.

WHAM WHAM WHAM. Mad Dog Dead.

I have read in many, many places here in the DM Forums about Hardcore survival and watching out for the "purples". I have affectionately come to know them as "super-champions", since on my PS3, there is no distinguisable difference between a "normal" champion and these bad boys, so you don't know when you got one on your hands. I believe I had 2 of these on me at that time, and the 3rd was a regular champion, judging by the amount of damage done by the spears as they were finishing their activations while I was mashing buttons trying to stay alive.

So... Hardcore is over for me, for now. Will re-try at some point, but I'm gonna try out some more ideas with high-level forging tricks available for us.

I admit, I learned a lot from this style of play, especially with forging and rune munching, since I've only ever had characters who read 1 rune into Combat Art's then use socketing for the rest.

Kudos to those who are still fighting the good fight!

Edited by essjayehm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :sigh:

Mad Dog Dead. Level 70. Platinum.

Was heading to do the class quest mission in the Orc Land. Crossed the river, and started spamming spears as the orcs and bears closed in.

"Oooh, 3 champion orcs!" I thought. Better get Combat Alert on (since I had forgotten to activate it before pulling in the mob).

WHAM WHAM. Mount gone. "AAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." I screamed... spamming health potions.

Whew. Still alive.

Whew. Combat Alert finally active. Lets get outta here! Since I was holding combat alert button in my frenzy, Mad Dog decided to fire off a shot from his arm.

WHAM WHAM WHAM. Mad Dog Dead.

I have read in many, many places here in the DM Forums about Hardcore survival and watching out for the "purples". I have affectionately come to know them as "super-champions", since on my PS3, there is no distinguisable difference between a "normal" champion and these bad boys, so you don't know when you got one on your hands. I believe I had 2 of these on me at that time, and the 3rd was a regular champion, judging by the amount of damage done by the spears as they were finishing their activations while I was mashing buttons trying to stay alive.

So... Hardcore is over for me, for now. Will re-try at some point, but I'm gonna try out some more ideas with high-level forging tricks available for us.

I admit, I learned a lot from this style of play, especially with forging and rune munching, since I've only ever had characters who read 1 rune into Combat Art's then use socketing for the rest.

Kudos to those who are still fighting the good fight!

Man some of the best builds seem to go down so quick huh? that is the Magic BB gun that you gotta watch out for. Sorry to hear about your death. HC on PC isn't any easier that is for sure. even if you do use some gear and jewels from chest or traders it's tough.

Man some of the best builds seem to go down so quick huh? that is the Magic BB gun that you gotta watch out for. Sorry to hear about your death. HC on PC isn't any easier that is for sure. even if you do use some gear and jewels from chest or traders it's tough.

Ah... not really the "best" build for a Temple Guardian (see my build linked in my sig); but he was a-rockin! Just a mental mistake of not having the combat alert on 24/7. At the time, I was kinda letting things hit me to see where my shields and defensive capabilites were at, but I KNEW when I saw the 3 shiny Orcs that I was going to get hit hard. Didn't anticipate it to be that hard. :sigh:

My next idea is a Temple Guardian - using Source Warden Combat Art's with high % knockback to keep things from getting too close. If it works out, I'll post another build! I haven't seen anyone using knockback too much so I want to have a go at it, since I usually avoid it like the plague (playing melee chars).

Man its been a looooooonnnnnnnnnggg since I started a fresh char ,this is such a time killer so far I got my build up and sneaking around not doing to much damage . im in the range of 500 600 at level 35 still in silver leaving the deseart scorpion took some time. gona level in the jungle till 50or so. im gona play peekaboo w/gaurdian.

Just have not had much time to play lately but hoping to get some time this weekend. My wife and I are not through the Octagolamus in Niob and not having any problems as long as we don't get too close to anything. We really are a ridiculously efficient killing machine as a team with extreme safety. Vs bosses we have a system down really well. Her basic job is to simply remember to turn on her Divine Protection and Dashing Alacrity (which we share in and are both combo'd to her X button) along with her 3 buffs that she already has on and then blast away at the boss inside my Dust Devil. In the meantime my job is to keep the boss vined up (with exception of White Griffon) and cast a dust devil and of course Golden Touch which shoots my willpower and regen/second through the ROOF. So as long as we keep our distance and I keep the beast vined up, we are unbelievably safe.

Now we still have the "dangerous" portion of Niob to go so maybe this will all change dramatically when casters/shooters play a bigger role and hit us from afar, but as of right now I am pretty impressed with how our first 2 characters are just slicing through Niob bad guys like a hot knife through butter. It seems like we actually kill FASTER now then we did in SILVER at times! The biggest difference is when they happen to hit us.

Just have not had much time to play lately but hoping to get some time this weekend. My wife and I are not through the Octagolamus in Niob and not having any problems as long as we don't get too close to anything. We really are a ridiculously efficient killing machine as a team with extreme safety. Vs bosses we have a system down really well. Her basic job is to simply remember to turn on her Divine Protection and Dashing Alacrity (which we share in and are both combo'd to her X button) along with her 3 buffs that she already has on and then blast away at the boss inside my Dust Devil. In the meantime my job is to keep the boss vined up (with exception of White Griffon) and cast a dust devil and of course Golden Touch which shoots my willpower and regen/second through the ROOF. So as long as we keep our distance and I keep the beast vined up, we are unbelievably safe.

Now we still have the "dangerous" portion of Niob to go so maybe this will all change dramatically when casters/shooters play a bigger role and hit us from afar, but as of right now I am pretty impressed with how our first 2 characters are just slicing through Niob bad guys like a hot knife through butter. It seems like we actually kill FASTER now then we did in SILVER at times! The biggest difference is when they happen to hit us.

Right on. Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful team! I've been awaiting to hear from you about them, and had almost thought that you might've changed characters, or whatever. Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight :)

No doubt you should be doing "faster" damage now than in Silver, you've gained a LOT of knowledge since beginning your campaign!

Just a little heads up... my friends' Temple Guardian had little (a couple of moments...) trouble with Niob at levels 85-90 so far... then he ran into the dragon boss in the caves. This dragons' Combat Art attack does 70% damage to the little Temple Guardian, and with one more swipe the Temple Guardian goes down! He definitely was spamming the health potions (at the correct "rate" to avoid the dropoff that Ascaron added to the health potion usage), but the big feller seems to be just too much for him yet. You'll be better off with your webs holding him down, but a heads up nonetheless.

Right on. Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful team! I've been awaiting to hear from you about them, and had almost thought that you might've changed characters, or whatever. Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight :)

No doubt you should be doing "faster" damage now than in Silver, you've gained a LOT of knowledge since beginning your campaign!

Just a little heads up... my friends' Temple Guardian had little (a couple of moments...) trouble with Niob at levels 85-90 so far... then he ran into the dragon boss in the caves. This dragons' Combat Art attack does 70% damage to the little Temple Guardian, and with one more swipe the Temple Guardian goes down! He definitely was spamming the health potions (at the correct "rate" to avoid the dropoff that Ascaron added to the health potion usage), but the big feller seems to be just too much for him yet. You'll be better off with your webs holding him down, but a heads up nonetheless.

Thanks... yeah, I figured things could start to get exciting now IF we get hit. The great part about our team is that with Vines and both being ranged, not a whole lot even gets to hit us. Heck, we kill half the bosses OFF the screen! I keep my wife behind me or sometimes she ends up killing them before I get DD, GT, Vines even casted!

I will keep you all posted if we get around to advancing further this weekend. What we have been doing lately is going back and forth to our campaigns and doing both such that we get "double" the XP. Not sure it will make more then 1 or 2 levels of difference in the end. Not sure what level we will be when we reach the end but I am guessing that last part might get pretty crazy.

We made it through to the swamp with very little problems. The biggest damage number I saw last night was a 2,600 to me which is not a big deal since I regen at 7,500/sec. I didn't even see it on my life meter. The vines + BFG = SAFETY!

Going to have to play the MISTs smart... those guys typically get some good hits on us simply because they are soooooo boring and take so long. I really am NOT a fan of them at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Very short update as we have had very little time to play the game. We have made it through the desert in Niob with no trouble at all. I am pumped to see what the next area will bring. The boss at the end of the next area that flies around has nailed us in the past for some serious damage and scares. I believe he might even be my last monster that I had to drink a single health potion against LOL. I think that was back on gold if my memory serves me correctly.....

• 3 weeks later...

Short update. We got to play some this weekend and made it half way through the Dyr-Laigh quests. My wife has decided that we are going to take our time, clear off as much of the map as we can and do all side quests because when we are done with the final boss she sees zero reason to play any longer. So rather then fight that I am going to roll with it. Here are a few things to note about our gaming time.

1) I am level 111 and she is 110.

2) I took a shot by the Forest Guardian I think when he was VINED and he did 10,000+ damage to me!! It was by FAR the most damage I have seen done thus far and sort of woke me up a little to pay attention to what I was doing. Also, in Niob this dude has AWESOME regen health. My wife (the BFG SEPH) was barely shaving off his HPs without me helping! It was fun to watch and take notice, a boss that I actually mattered for!

3) For the first time we went out to those islands off to the right and down into a cave and WOW, freaking awesome experience, awesome amount of bad guys and a DRAGON to fight to boot! We will be going back there for sure as this was pretty darn FUN!

I think I need to focus on visiting at least all the "major" places on the game and doing all the fun mini-quests. Is there a good guide of "can't miss mini-quests"?

Short update. We got to play some this weekend and made it half way through the Dyr-Laigh quests. My wife has decided that we are going to take our time, clear off as much of the map as we can and do all side quests because when we are done with the final boss she sees zero reason to play any longer. So rather then fight that I am going to roll with it. Here are a few things to note about our gaming time.

2) I took a shot by the Forest Guardian I think when he was VINED and he did 10,000+ damage to me! It was by FAR the most damage I have seen done thus far and sort of woke me up a little to pay attention to what I was doing. Also, in Niob this dude has AWESOME regen health. My wife (the BFG SEPH) was barely shaving off his HPs without me helping! It was fun to watch and take notice, a boss that I actually mattered for!

3) For the first time we went out to those islands off to the right and down into a cave and WOW, freaking awesome experience, awesome amount of bad guys and a DRAGON to fight to boot! We will be going back there for sure as this was pretty darn FUN!

I think I need to focus on visiting at least all the "major" places on the game and doing all the fun mini-quests. Is there a good guide of "can't miss mini-quests"?

Glad to hear you're still trudging on!

Ahhhh, the Dryad dragon cave, my favorite in the game, by far! Many enemies, variety of enemies, ending with a bossfight... awesomesauce!

I assume you know the trick to immediately re-spawn the dragon?

The "fun" part of the mini-quests... sorry I don't understand :) My gauge for that is the reward at the end. Legendary mounts (obv), Blind Guardian, General of the Undead Legion being the first to come to mind. Hagelstein (sp?) isn't too bad either (no quest reward iirc, other than map %, but you do get to fight a couple of minibosses).

Empty Office Quest - I'll do this if I need to level up before moving to next difficulty. The hammer is good, but not so good I'll spend the required amount of time to get it every chance I get.

Have fun in the Wastelands!

Edited by essjayehm

2) I took a shot by the Forest Guardian I think when he was VINED and he did 10,000+ damage to me! It was by FAR the most damage I have seen done thus far and sort of woke me up a little to pay attention to what I was doing. Also, in Niob this dude has AWESOME regen health. My wife (the BFG SEPH) was barely shaving off his HPs without me helping! It was fun to watch and take notice, a boss that I actually mattered for!

Glad to hear you're still trudging on!

Ahhhh, the Dryad dragon cave, my favorite in the game, by far! Many enemies, variety of enemies, ending with a bossfight... awesomesauce!

I assume you know the trick to immediately re-spawn the dragon?

The "fun" part of the mini-quests... sorry I don't understand :) My gauge for that is the reward at the end. Legendary mounts (obv), Blind Guardian, General of the Undead Legion being the first to come to mind. Hagelstein (sp?) isn't too bad either (no quest reward iirc, other than map %, but you do get to fight a couple of minibosses).

Empty Office Quest - I'll do this if I need to level up before moving to next difficulty. The hammer is good, but not so good I'll spend the required amount of time to get it every chance I get.

Have fun in the Wastelands!

Nope, how do I respawn the dragon? does he drop items every time?

by "fun" quests I guess what I meant to say are quests that you guys would suggest are MUST BE DONE before you would quit playing the game. I don't want to do every silly quest in the game unless it takes me to a place that I otherwise wouldn't go, takes me to a boss/monster that I would otherwise not face, gives me a prize that I otherwise would not see, etc.... The ones that you listed for me are they searchable based on your descriptions?

We stumbled on that Dryad dragon cave and it was AWESOME. I was SHOCKED that something this cool could be undiscovered by us at level 111 in Niob! I want to uncover all other such "cool" things before we even think about finishing the end bosses at which time my wife's interest will fall off the cliff.

by "fun" quests I guess what I meant to say are quests that you guys would suggest are MUST BE DONE before you would quit playing the game. I don't want to do every silly quest in the game unless it takes me to a place that I otherwise wouldn't go, takes me to a boss/monster that I would otherwise not face, gives me a prize that I otherwise would not see, etc.... The ones that you listed for me are they searchable based on your descriptions?

We stumbled on that Dryad dragon cave and it was AWESOME. I was SHOCKED that something this cool could be undiscovered by us at level 111 in Niob! I want to uncover all other such "cool" things before we even think about finishing the end bosses at which time my wife's interest will fall off the cliff.

Dragon will re-spawn every 10 mins regardless of using "the trick" - which seems to re-spawn him immediately. The Trick - kill the dragon, and immediately use the teleport to get outside cave. Make sure the dragon is on your "last 3 opponents" from overview screen. (DO NOT KILL anything else before teleporting). When outside cave, kill 3 things (which takes the dragon off your overview page), and re-enter the cave. This should ensure he respawns immediately. It has been reported that it "sometimes" doesn't work (ie once in a while) but I've done him 15 times in a row without him not appearing. Yes, he drops loot everytime.

So I think the quests you really want to do are (if you haven't):

Hagelstein (quest starts in Atamark's Gate in Human realm) - has 2 minibosses iirc...

Terus (Undead Legion quest) - has miniboss + Boneslicer legendary sword reward

Blind Guardian - for the instruments and the rockin' video

Demons! (Seraphim Island) - for the "experience" (round 3 is brutal!) definitely the "toughest" quest if you're not prepared for it. Not too bad in co-op, although I haven't tried in Niob yet...

The Quests thread here / on wiki should point the particulars (person to start quest, etc). There is a dragon that I haven't ever seen (evil-only characters, though) but I think that's it for our console versions, as far as interesting quests, etc.

Dragon will re-spawn every 10 mins regardless of using "the trick" - which seems to re-spawn him immediately. The Trick - kill the dragon, and immediately use the teleport to get outside cave. Make sure the dragon is on your "last 3 opponents" from overview screen. (DO NOT KILL anything else before teleporting). When outside cave, kill 3 things (which takes the dragon off your overview page), and re-enter the cave. This should ensure he respawns immediately. It has been reported that it "sometimes" doesn't work (ie once in a while) but I've done him 15 times in a row without him not appearing. Yes, he drops loot everytime.

So I think the quests you really want to do are (if you haven't):

Hagelstein (quest starts in Atamark's Gate in Human realm) - has 2 minibosses iirc...

Terus (Undead Legion quest) - has miniboss + Boneslicer legendary sword reward

Blind Guardian - for the instruments and the rockin' video

Demons! (Seraphim Island) - for the "experience" (round 3 is brutal!) definitely the "toughest" quest if you're not prepared for it. Not too bad in co-op, although I haven't tried in Niob yet...

The Quests thread here / on wiki should point the particulars (person to start quest, etc). There is a dragon that I haven't ever seen (evil-only characters, though) but I think that's it for our console versions, as far as interesting quests, etc.

Thanks, I will use this when we play next.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, looks like not to many people are about this challenge but me! LOL. Well wife and I actually played a little bit over weekend for first time in a LONG time. It was hilarious to play a game that you haven't played in so long. Some things our fingers just did without thinking about and other things seemed to really perplex us. I haven't had the xbox on in a month so my brain had forgotten a lot about the controller.

Anyways, we made it to the last part of the game now. We easily defeated that diamond shaped spinning bad guy without ever having him enter the screen. I tied him up with my vines while the wife beat him down with her super gun and he was dead before I had to even consider recasting the vines a second time! My wife made a comment, "wow, that stinks, I kind of wanted to see him..." ROFLMAO!

Anyways, onto the last part against the machines. I believe we are level 112 and 111 for anyone who cares.

Fun re visit. I liked the story. Now.. come on down to Sacred 2 for PC and give HC a go with all the rest of the gang.

Promises are that you'll get that challenge.

Great seeing you back here Keyser.

:P

gogo

Fun re visit. I liked the story. Now.. come on down to Sacred 2 for PC and give HC a go with all the rest of the gang.

Promises are that you'll get that challenge.

Great seeing you back here Keyser.

:P

gogo

I visit from time to time but don't post if I haven't played as I don't have much to share unless someone has a co-op question particularly if he is thinking about playing with his significant other :)

We had a good time playing but had limited time once again. Also, we have been spending most of our playing time when we play simply uncovering the map by walking around in the dark spots and lifting the fog or war or whatever its called on this game. Wife really enjoys doing that and does NOT want to hurry up and finish the game. My guess is that after the final machines are dead, her interest will fall off the map.

For this question you would want a bargainer, AND a finder (Enhanced Perception).

High Elf is the only one I would trust who could do that - ice elf prolly

Why Ice Elf?

Ice Buff Provides Combat Art reflect, and Physical Armor (relfect would be better, but 20K physical armor ain't a bad start)

Cascading Shroud gives physical Damage Mitigation (Mod to reduce Fire Vulnerability)

Grand Invigoration can be modded for regen times, rather than HP regen

Melee reflect/Melee block can be obtained by Shields/Shield Mastery

All attribute points for first 50 levels into Vitality.

I have a version of this and know how it works arleady. Frost Flare is my primary attack. Thorns is (mostly) for bosses

Build:

2-Armor Lore

3-Mystic Lore

5-Concentration

8-Delpic Focus

12-Mystic Focus

18-Bargaining

25-Ancient Magic

35-Constitution

50-Shield Lore

65 Enhanced Perception (leave low for a while)

Skills are selected in the order they become needed. At low level, I recommend using some fire Combat Arts to help power level with Kobolds. Start in Bronze until level 5, then you can switch to silver to get to 8

Edited by SolomonGrundy
For this question you would want a bargainer, AND a finder (Enhanced Perception).

High Elf is the only one I would trust who could do that - ice elf prolly

Why Ice Elf?

Ice Buff Provides Combat Art reflect, and Physical Armor (relfect would be better, but 20K physical armor ain't a bad start)

Cascading Shroud gives physical Damage Mitigation (Mod to reduce Fire Vulnerability)

Grand Invigoration can be modded for regen times, rather than HP regen

Melee reflect/Melee block can be obtained by Shields/Shield Mastery

All attribute points for first 50 levels into Vitality.

I have a version of this and know how it works arleady. Frost Flare is my primary attack. Thorns is (mostly) for bosses

Build:

2-Armor Lore

3-Mystic Lore

5-Concentration

8-Delpic Focus

12-Mystic Focus

18-Bargaining

25-Ancient Magic

35-Constitution

50-Shield Lore

65 Enhanced Perception (leave low for a while)

Skills are selected in the order they become needed. At low level, I recommend using some fire Combat Arts to help power level with Kobolds. Start in Bronze until level 5, then you can switch to silver to get to 8

wowzers, who's question is this answering? wonder if you clicked in the wrong thread or something?

wowzers, who's question is this answering? wonder if you clicked in the wrong thread or something?

um, no. this was a thought on the type of character that would excel in console hardcore from scratch

a) No trading, so you have to buy and find your won stuff (bargaining, Enhanced Perception)

b) No deaths allowed, so which buffs/skills/attributes will give you the greatest defence?

c) Some notes on why certain skills are selected, or where you should adventure to get those vulnerable first few levels.

um, no. this was a thought on the type of character that would excel in console hardcore from scratch

a) No trading, so you have to buy and find your won stuff (bargaining, Enhanced Perception)

b) No deaths allowed, so which buffs/skills/attributes will give you the greatest defence?

c) Some notes on why certain skills are selected, or where you should adventure to get those vulnerable first few levels.

sounds solid. are you gonna give it a go?

Ive done this with a DW staff dryad and until I got my ChestoTime god was I struggling to take hits from 90-110 because I didnt have enough runes in Bark&Golden Glade Touch shes 148 but im deleting her because I chose the wrong skill and now the bosses take 4eva to kill even tho I have a 230 scorpion killing everything for me It was fun but I wanna do more damage tho having Enhanced Perception&Bargaining was necessary to keep good armor&weapons I was using level 50 staffs until 110 thinking of rerunning a Ranged dryad as Ive now done a seraphim&dryad I just hate farming bosses from 15-35 for sets other than that I loved the challenge

to be honest? Ima little nervous to. What if all my planning and great theories don't work out. Or in a moment of player hastiness I gett killed by a "purple" champion? Oh, the humanity!

to be honest? Ima little nervous to. What if all my planning and great theories don't work out. Or in a moment of player hastiness I gett killed by a "purple" champion? Oh, the humanity!

Ah but that's the challenge and the risk. but surviving to niob with a scratch is such a huge reward. give it a go!