My first PhotoShop sig

AgentSmith5150

Hello all!

I did this sig for another game, and I used PS CS4 trial, and it took me for bloody ever to get that Futuremark logo cut from one pic and placed in the background. The rest I figured out fairly easily. I checked a few tutorials and it seemed like using the lasso tool is the way to go, trace around the part of the pic, then right click and do feather, but it came up with some kind of error.

does anyone have a tutorial for real dummies (like me) for this, or at least some pointers? I think it worked out ok in the end, I like the effect I ended up with on that logo, but there must be an easier way! :glare:

SHsig4-1.png

if it is on white background the

-Magic wand tool (''W'')

-Quick selection tool (also ''W'' (shuffle between by right clicking on the wand on toolbar))

-Magic eraser on the withe background (''E'' right click on the eraser tool)

-Polygonal lasso tool is alot easier to use than normal lasso on such things, esp with mouse (''L'' right click on lasso tool)

:glare: thats the best cutting/rendering tools I can think of.

Edited by Erling

Thanks Erling.

The background in this case was the blue part with the shattered horizon logo. I added the Futuremark logo, and the other words all on different layers. How mush of a difference does it make for the background to be white or multicolored? Got any tips on blending the cut out pic into the background pic?

That turned out really nice AgentSmith. Love the colour choices and the blur efftect on the text. At first glance I can't see any problem with the logo but on second, yes, the outline is visible.

Easiest way to cut out a circular graphic like the logo would be to use the Shapes tool. Right click on the Shape Tool button and choose the Elipse tool. Then create a circle as close in size as possible to your logo and place it directly over top of your logo. Hold CTRL and left click on the Shape layer in the Layers Palette. This will create a dotted line selection around the circle shape. Left click on your logo layer from within the Layers Palette. Now you right click inside the dotted line selection, choose invert and then push delete key to erase the area outside of the logo. You should end up with a nice neat cutout. :)

The Pen tool in general is my favorite way to cut out shapes. It's a vector tool which means you can create very precise cutouts. For simple shapes it's a great technique but for more complex shapes I try to go with the magic wand tool.

However... Perhaps you'd be interested in a pre-cut logo. Found it on their site for download. ^^

Futuremark Games Studios Logo on Black (Horizontal)

It's beautiful. There's something very nice about the way the lighting effect is coming off the letters. Kind of like sunlight hitting it. And that exact kind of blue is just amazing on this.

Futuremark...is that your company Agent?

:)

gogo

ohh yeah schot is right, the pen tool is neat!

you can add a ''joint'' to your line by clicking it and move it around with holding down CTRL, so you can basicly make any shape at all with a triangle. :)

you did mean to cut out just the text, didnt you? or some background aswell...?

as for the '-if it's blue' thingy, the 'one click selection tools' should work okay aslong as the background isnt complex with overlaying colours thingies.

and if the background is a pretty close blue to the one you will use... you can smudge it in with some practice... I thinks

Futuremark is the company that puts out gaming/computer bechmark programs for private and business use. They are based in Finland. No, I'm not employed there :)

I'm a beta tester for their first game, Shattered Horizon. Been in it since the start. It is for Vista/W7, dx10, and multiplayer only. They are in a 2nd beta stage and invited 500 out of the 12,000 that were in the original beta, I was included (hence the 500 in the sig). I'm even in the game credits now, lol

th_FMscreen.jpg

I got the background from the banner on the front page of the game site HERE

As I look at it again, I realize that the FM logo is in that same banner as the background I used, lol, that might have been easier. I use a logo that had stars as the background to it. made it harder to blend in. Maybe I just wanted to see if I could figure out how to do it. lol :) The logo outline looked workse, I tried to give it some effects to hide the outline, and add similar colored pixels. Kinda looks like it is embossed onto the background now, came out decent for a n00b, IMO :)

I appreciate all the assistance!