Dragon Age: Origins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this game is a real winner.

I suspect that not everyone that comes to Dark Matters would like this sort of game though.

Seeing that Sacred 2 is probably the driving force behind all the new arrivals ;)

But for those of you who love the old story driven rpg this game is great.

No multiplayer though....pure single player is this one.

I was wondering if there are some Dark members playing it and what they thought.

Oh and another game has just been released in the same genre......Divine Divinity Ego Draconis

I just ordered my copy :devil:

Haha, I loved Divine Divinity, although never got far in the second one.

I've loved all the Baldur's Gate games too, I, II, Icewind dale I, II, but I don't at this moment want Dragons Age. First of all I won't be able to play PC version, only 360 one. Secondly, the hype put me off, all the cutscenes made me want to vomit. It was like watching a period drama.

• 4 weeks later...

This game is great fun. GREAT story. Highly recommend it. Watch out because the soundtracks have only one language it seems. French version does not have english texts or voices... booooooo.

Would have been so easy to include text for all languages even if voices are only for one.

There is a lot of talking in it which takes some getting used to versus other games where there is almost none :bounce:.

Its possible to get 100% spell resistance in this game which means you take 0 damage from spells and no adverse effects from spells. Interesting if you want to try a playthrough by yourself.

I have not been able to find a lot of resources though. I really want something describing all the differences in game mechanics between pc and console versions like the one I wrote for the wikia but I can't find it and the information available is much more limited than info about sacred and less organized.

Apparently a human commoner was planned but they cut it (because of development time maybe)? Overall seems theres much less bugs than in sacred games though.

Edited by ka243

I would say Multiplayer doesn't suit this kind of games, a story driven game with tons of dialogues would be boring in Multi IMO as this is one that's excellent to play on your own and take your time with it.

Haven't tried out the mages yet, but the ones I have in my party is way to squishy for me to want to try out one, always liked the warrior/tanks best and mostly found mages boring in games I have played.

• 3 weeks later...
Well this game is a real winner.

I suspect that not everyone that comes to Dark Matters would like this sort of game though.

Seeing that Sacred 2 is probably the driving force behind all the new arrivals :o

But for those of you who love the old story driven rpg this game is great.

No multiplayer though....pure single player is this one.

I was wondering if there are some Dark members playing it and what they thought.

Oh and another game has just been released in the same genre......Divine Divinity Ego Draconis

I just ordered my copy :)

I've came to Dark Matters for Sacred 2 (and also sacred 1) yes, because this forum is all about Sacred, but I like rpg's with a good story and good gameplay in particular. I play also games like Morrowind, Drakensang, Neverwinter Nights 2, The Witcher, Risen.

I like to have Dragon Age: Origins and play it, but can't afford it. My computer can't handle it. There is one thing that bugs me with DA:O and that is the many DLC's BioWare made. Seems like DLC"s is the new milking cow for EA.

Despite the dlc thing DA:O looks promising.

Haven't tried out the mages yet, but the ones I have in my party is way to squishy for me to want to try out one, always liked the warrior/tanks best and mostly found mages boring in games I have played.

Heya,

THAT, is easily remedied :) The Mage can unlock the Arcane class... where their magic score counts for STR to use heavy armor.... I rememeber my mage could wear even the Juggernaut armor :o

Try them Mages, they are very strong!

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Oh yes, a great game indeed! I probably spent a couple of hundred hours playing it. I guess I'll play it a couple of more times, eventually. In my opinion this is the best from Bioware since Knights of the Old Republic, which I really loved.

• 3 weeks later...

Man the only char I really like to play in the new Dragon Age is tha mage. You take the fire tree all the way up and acquire paralysis spells plus the Healer/ Magic Warrior(or whatevere it is called I can't remember) specialties, u have a mage who an wear the best armor in the game w no penalties, a magic dispeller for those pesky mages on higher levels, a whole party healer, and an Area of Effect damage killer. I have played all classes and races but I like the pure mage by far the best.

O wow, I didn't realize so many people were playing this game on darkmatters! I'm currently on my second solo run of the game (it's only on hard, not nightmare) with a dual wielding warrior. My first solo was with an arcane warrior / bloodmage, which made the game wayyyyyyyyyy to easy, even for a solo run. Stupid archdemon didn't stand a chance. For a greater challenge I highly recommend doing a solo run if you haven't already, as you have to think more critically about every scenario. Makes it almost feel like a whole new game!

• 5 months later...

Finally bought this after a lot of indecision (heard mixed things about it so I was planning on renting it first). And I have to say (sorry Sacred 2) it is now my favorite game (even w/o all of the downloadable content-which I'm going to be getting soon). Definitely getting Dragon Age 2. Only problem I have is having to restart when trying to spec my Blood mage/Spirit healer to try and get "the best" spec (in terms of versatility/pure damage), but Sacred 2 prepared me for that :lol: (so many SWs and TGs deleted).

Edited by Rndm
Finally bought this after a lot of indecision (heard mixed things about it so I was planning on renting it first). And I have to say (sorry Sacred 2) it is now my favorite game (even w/o all of the downloadable content-which I'm going to be getting soon). Definitely getting Dragon Age 2. Only problem I have is having to restart when trying to spec my Blood mage/Spirit healer to try and get "the best" spec (in terms of versatility/pure damage), but Sacred 2 prepared me for that :lol: (so many SWs and TGs deleted).

Nice to see your enjoying the game Rndm :) This had me hooked when I was away from Sacred 2. Loved the character customization and the story...well almost everything in the game I liked lol. I finally dropped the game after I realized how overpowered some of the classes could be (soloed the game twice). Word of advice tho: Don't buy the Awakening expansion. It wasn't worth the money, and for the 30 hours of content it provides, the new weapons, armor, and talents, made the expansion a cakewalk even on nightmare. Do buy the other DLC though, as they did add alot to the main game. Also, don't buy the new Darkspawn chronicles, as that was just dumb :)

I could be very very wrong here :lol: but I believe there was 5 short DLCs, an expansion, and another longer style DLC. Also they had some weapons/armor/characters that you could download.

zomgod... lol how is that possible ? They have a team of thousands of Dragon Age coders just making stuff? Hmmm,. or did they already have planned and already prepared DLC when the game was first released>?

:lol:

gogo

I agree that the expansion is easy even on Nigthmare, but IMO it's worth the money as I've enjoyed it pretty much even though I did everything I could and still finished it in 16 hours.

Don't like the Darkspawn Chronicles you say? it's fun to be a little evil sometimes and destroy all that is good :lol:

I must disagree with ryanrocker1217 about one comment.

I think Awakenings was well worth the money.

Granted the difficulty was easy but the story, the cinematics and the 20 or so hours of fun was well worth it.

Edited by stubbie

Indeed, well worth it, did you come across the bug in the Silverite Mines where one of the "Experiements" don't show up if one of your chars are wearing gear that have Strength requirement over 50?

I did, had to re-do 2-3 hours on a old save to not loose my gear, only serious flaw I saw with the Awakenings expansion.

Indeed, well worth it, did you come across the bug in the Silverite Mines where one of the "Experiements" don't show up if one of your chars are wearing gear that have Strength requirement over 50?

I did, had to re-do 2-3 hours on a old save to not loose my gear, only serious flaw I saw with the Awakenings expansion.

Major bugs that I've read about is what has kept me from buying the expansion. When it is patched I'll probably pick it up.