Buying/building a new PC

Knuckles

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still deciding on whether to get him a pc or new xbox 360. Just waiting for my sister to let me know. I had given him one of my other pc's and it seems to do everything he needs.

His xbox, on the other hand, is falling apart :)

Still deciding on whether to get him a pc or new xbox 360. Just waiting for my sister to let me know. I had given him one of my other pc's and it seems to do everything he needs.

His xbox, on the other hand, is falling apart :)

Xbox is the cheaper of the 2 for sure

I want to thank everyone for their time and advice. Without you I wouldn't have been able to build this pc. All the parts were just ordered and should be here in 3-4 days. And I bought a digi camera too just so I can post pics of the rig for you all :)

Woohoo! Gratz Knuckles! I have a feeling the choosing was as fun as the receiving will be. All you need now is a game with killer graphics to show off the power of your new toy. Can't wait to read about it in action Knuckles. :)

Actually selecting the parts was part fun, part interesting and part frustration. There is a big difference between getting a rig off Dell and building your own. I was really in the dark about a lot of the technical specifications and what they actually meant both in performance and compatibility.

This is the first pc I will have ever built, and at first I wasn't sure I was up to the challenge. A few times I was ready to wimp out and just buy an overpriced rig from Alienware. Just like in Sacred 2, I know how all the stats and mods work, but I never got into the nitty-gritty of x amount of this increases y amount of that and so on. I would just try a mod and if I felt like it was helping, well that was good enough for me. I never tried to maximize the potential of my toons. Heck half the time either most of my sockets are empty or half my equipment worn was 30+ lvls below me. I once had a level 175 DE that was still wearing level 5 boots for example :)

But I couldn't do that and try to build a pc. So I read, and read and read some more. I dug thru all the tech specs, figured out what they really mean, and read tons of reviews both from 'experts' and from users/buyers. I understand how everything works at a much deeper level than I ever have before. I won't be handing out advice anytime soon but I can at least understand everything when the specs are talked about.

Overall it's been a pretty rewarding experience, hopefully I've ordered the right stuff and building the pc will be just as rewarding. And don't worry, I'll post plenty of pics of my little beast while I'm assembling it :)

Well the parts are starting to come in. Got the case, speakers and printer so far with one more package due to day. Mobo isn't coming til tomorrow so not much I can do yet. But the camera is due today so at least I can start taking pics.

I ended up getting a small laser printer, the Samsung CLP-315W, and so far I'm really liking it. A bit noisy when printing but otherwise completely silent. Decent printing speed and the copies look awesome. The case is pretty big. Went with an Antec 902 instead of the 900 but gotta wait on the rest of the stuff before I know how it all fits (please please fit lol)

A bit noisy when printing but otherwise completely silent.

:):yay:

hey, that's important lol.

I'd edit it to make it say what I really meant but you already quoted me so we'll run with it as is :D

But I would have to edit my post, then his response, then my response, then your response, then my response to your response, then your response to my response about your response, and the next thing you know it's work, work, work :)

And I'm lazy

Well all the parts are in and I'm installing as we speak. Work took forever to go by today. As long as I don't try to put the circle thingy into the square watchamacallit I should be o.k. ( I hope). Taking my time and reading everything at least 5 times so it's gonna take a bit to do. First time building and want to take absolutely no chances. Taking pics as I go, and as long as I'm using the camera correctly I'll be posting a few tonight.

Probably should just disconnect this pc and get it off the desk as I don't have a lot of room. But as soon as I do, I know I'll need to visit a manufacturer's website

Wish me luck :xmastree:

Take over the dining room table!. Ha your wife will love that. did you do your back-up uninstall check list on the old one yet? better to get both up and running and on lan together to transfer all your stuff.

Well the first thing that was obvious is that the ASUS Rampage isn't a standard ATX board. It's actually a bit wider. I can't fit HDD in the middle bay with the front fan in it. Not an issue though as it will fit in the lower bay just fine (actually each bay section is removable and has room for 3 HDD's). Cable management is another story, the holes in the middle of the frame are blocked by the ATX board. Also had to remove the fan housing on the rear of the middle bay section too as the ATX board wouldn't fit with it on. Nothing I can't work around.

I decided to assemble it right where it's going to be since it'll be heavy fully assembled. With my back and a set of stairs in the way, my luck would have my back spasm and down we go :xmastree:

Well we just got u back to work so don't hurt yourself. True you always have to do some modification to your component layout. and a assebmley order will develop with experience. Such as I have to remove my GFX ccard first and install last because of how stinking big it is and how the ASRock P55 is laid out. I still don't like the cable management in mine. its ugly to look at. But I don't have the patience to engineer a perfect set-up. I all works and thats what counts!

Well just ran into my first oops of the install. Somehow I ordered the wrong cooler. Got LGA 775 instead of LGA 1366. Will have to run with stock cooler til I can get that exchanged. Other than that, so far so good.

At least it wasn't a show stopper :xmastree:

Well just ran into my first oops of the install. Somehow I ordered the wrong cooler. Got LGA 775 instead of LGA 1366. Will have to run with stock cooler til I can get that exchanged. Other than that, so far so good.

At least it wasn't a show stopper :xmastree:

Ya , that one is livable for a while. just keep your OC settings a defaults until you get the new one. Wow what a difference it makes. I get same temps running at 3.8Ghz with Thermaltake Black Widow as I did on stock cooler running at 2.66Gz(stock for CPU) 3.2Ghz with PC3 12800 memory settings ran a little hotter than what it does now.

Pretty close to powering it up. But got a question. Got 2 wires off my GTX285, SPDIF and GND. I can't for the life of me figure out where the SPDIF wire is supposed to go.

Pretty close to powering it up. But got a question. Got 2 wires off my GTX285, SPDIF and GND. I can't for the life of me figure out where the SPDIF wire is supposed to go.

Wierd, S/PDIF is audio. Are you sure is was from the GFX card?

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....amp;p_topview=1

According to NVIDIA is goes to the mother board or sound card. this is to carry audio from the PC through the HDMI cable of the GFX card to a TV

If you are plugging in your speakers directly to the audio jack on the back of the PC. you don't need it.

Edited by locolagarto

There's a spot for the plug on the GTX.....it say to go to the SPDIF out header on my mobo.

Looks like my mobo doesn't have a free header for this so I can ignore it?

edit: the speakers are going thru a Creative sound card

There's a spot for the plug on the GTX.....it say to go to the SPDIF out header on my mobo.

Looks like my mobo doesn't have a free header for this so I can ignore it?

edit: the speakers are going thru a Creative sound card

I think you are good to leave that cable off. Creative will handle sound directly. If you ever wanted to make this a HTPC to a TV it may be helpful then

PS. Knuckles your little sock puppet dude is really starting to freak me out! is that the ghost of Xmas past or something?

Edited by locolagarto