Ahoy me mateys

Hi, everybody.

I'm new here to DM. I picked up Sacred 2 for PS3 a month-ish ago and have been playing pretty consistently since then. I have a good deal of appreciation for this particular genre - I played Diablo 2 pretty much from launch until fairly recently (with a couple breaks,) but I reached the point where I had effectively nothing left to do. I'll refrain from posting my entire D2-related resume, but believe me, it's quite extensive even as compared to other long term D2 addicts. So, running out of ways to occupy myself in D2 combined with a general frustration with PC gaming in general (not enough PC games of interest come out within a given hardware upgrade cycle to justify the costs of upgrades, and much of what comes out is just a port of something designed to be played on a console anyways) has caused me to start in with the Sacred2 on the PS3.

I'm quite enjoying myself so far. I've been playing solo mainly because (a) I didn't really want to burden other online players with my newbness while figuring the game out from scratch, (b) I'm not keen on corrupting my main account, which I gather happens a lot easier while playing online, and © my local friends who I'd be playing with haven't gotten around to getting online at a convenient time. I'm probably going to start playing online in the pretty near future, particularly if I wind up finding people either here or locally to coordinate a game with, because I much prefer that sort of multiplayer to the general nobody-knows-each-other that exists in public, uncoordinated MP servers.

Anyways, I'm currently running a DW seraphim at ~66 somewhere in the middle of platinum and a Pyromancer elf at ~60 somewhere in the middle of gold. Both of them are working quite effectively - the seraphim will eventually exist primarily to run the orc cave (though she's currently messing around doing side quests and exploring), while the elf spends most of her time running, well, really whatever I feel like at the time. She does well enough against pretty much everything I've tried her against. I might run her up to plat sometime soon, but she is completely failing to find any useful quantity of the Pyromancer set (I think the Pyromancer set represents about 5% of my elf set itamz and includes duplicate pieces of the same slots,) and I'd really like to get at least a bit of that put together at some point here.

So, I think I'm starting to ramble here, so I'll try to cut it short. I've been lurking at DM for at least a couple weeks now and I'm quite pleased with what I've seen so far, particularly the initiative and dedication involved in putting together the wiki. I'm a big fan of the deep, strategically analytical aspect of this genre, and this, from what I've seen, appears to be the place to be for that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community.

To any of you in the US, happy Thanksgiving. To any of you outside the US, happy.. Wednesday, I guess.

-CG

I was a D1/D2 addict for bit, but sure I pale in comparison. Can't wait for D3 though :D

I'd imagine there's quite a bit of overlap between the D2 crowd and the Sacred 2 crowd - I know that Sacred 1/2 was mentioned with relative frequency on my old D2 forums, which was actually a contributing factor to my deciding to pick up Sacred 2 after getting bored with D2. I've also recognized a couple names from the SIF who were also D2 people. I'm somewhat surprised I haven't recognized any names here on DM from my D2 forum. This seems like a good candidate for the place they'd wind up.

Strangely, I'm probably one of a tiny minority of fans of this genre who isn't excited about D3 - I have a strong premonition that Blizzard has learned a lot of incorrect lessons from their wild WoW success that they seem to be applying to the development of D3. This combined with the fact that (IIRC) none of the original D2 team is involved in the development makes me rather apprehensive. We'll see what happens.

-CG

Amazing intro Green. I never get enough of reading that peeps are actually reading what we write about here for a while before registering. hehe, I sometimes forget that readership here is many thousands a day... If I remembered this more often, I think I'd get stage fright :D

Happy you found us, and seem to be as enthused, excited and inspired by this game as we are. Have fun with the community, the builds...

And, and very big thank you for the great words about Sacred Wiki. Interesting that a game with a community as relatively small as Sacred's has produced such a beautiful and very very large database as SacredWiki. It's something I think a lot of the wiki's hundreds of contributors are pretty proud of.

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:D

gogo