Console gaming or PC gaming

ka243

I saw this article today about the CEO of square enix who thinks that console gaming is going to disappear in 10 years: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36665/Square-Eni...posted#comments

I hope he's wrong.

Consoles are great for the casual gamer because they make the software developers develop games for specific hardware specifications. If you want to have a good gaming experience on PC, you have to update your graphics card very very very regularly and this is expensive. You can keep the same console for 3-5 years and still have a great gaming experience. This is why I think there will always be demand for consoles for the casual gamer.

I prefer to play on console because of the couch comfort factor and I would prefer to pay for my games once rather than pay a continuing subscription, which is asked for in most cases where games are played online. Sacred 2 for PC is an exception, sacred 2 for console is not.

What about you: do you prefer pc or console and why? Do you think console gaming will disappear in the future?

Edited by ka243

Both because it's highly game dependant.

For instance: I'm having a lot of fun with mariokart on the gamecube. But also with a game like torchlight/age of empires on the pc.

Console gaming will not dissappear. I do think that consoles will grow into a more pc-like experience with things like home entertainment and maybe some web browsing.

The xbox 360 and ps3 are just basically 'wrappers' for a lowend pc. I'm pretty sure that you can even surf the web on both. Both have dvd/blueray drives, ethernet connections, hard drives, video cards and I think x86 architecture. You could even say that it's not console gaming anymore, but more along the lines of PC-lite and PC gaming to be more accurate.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that these 2 current consoles are Low end PCs. Granted for $300 they are cheap. but for pure processor, graphics capacity they are far from low ed. IBM designed the processors specifically for the consoles based on Power PC architecture. All in all the Xbox was a more stable platform for gaming than PC. it is very limited in capabilities intentionally. not because its not capable. The old saying "keep it simple stupid!" has many advantages in gaming.

Dollar for Dollar I would prefer the XBOX for gaming. I converted to PC for Sacred 2, and for Sacred 2 alone. It's many features and the expansion are what appealed to me. In addition the HC online community surpasses anything I found on Console.

And yes as Consoles continue to look for ways to increase appeal, they will continue to introduce more features. as we have already seen online multilayer gaming, downloadable content (movies on demand, music, video, game add ons, demos etc) instant messaging the possibilities are endless.

I think PC gaming is more likely to die out than console gaming, if you look at things like Modern Warfare 2 you can see the way the wind is blowing at the moment.

I hope it doesn't, keyboard and mouse are both more precise and offer a more sociable environment than console.

I think PC gaming is more likely to die out than console gaming, if you look at things like Modern Warfare 2 you can see the way the wind is blowing at the moment.

I hope it doesn't, keyboard and mouse are both more precise and offer a more sociable environment than console.

They've been predicting the end of pc gaming for years now. Funny thing is that consoles are most LIKE pcs than the consoles from 15 years ago. The problem with PC gaming is piracy. It's a little harder, but not remotely impossible for piracy on a console.