Changing armour colour

Sankekur

I've seen that most of the armour can appear in more than one colour and I was wondering if anyone has been able to change the colour of specific set of armour to one of the alternatives, or has any insights to share in this regard.

I looked around a bit in the scripts/shared dir in the sacred 2 install directory and there is a materials.txt file that defines different materials and id's for these materials, but in the itemtype.txt (also in the scripts/shared dir) file there doesn't seem to be any link to textures or materials, only to the models of items.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen that most of the armour can appear in more than one colour and I was wondering if anyone has been able to change the colour of specific set of armour to one of the alternatives, or has any insights to share in this regard.

I looked around a bit in the scripts/shared dir in the sacred 2 install directory and there is a materials.txt file that defines different materials and id's for these materials, but in the itemtype.txt (also in the scripts/shared dir) file there doesn't seem to be any link to textures or materials, only to the models of items.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. The texture files (those that contain the colors) are in a file called graphics02.zip Make a back up copy of this file before making any changes.

You can extract the files using powerarchiver, winzip, winrar or other file compression/decompression program. Note the folder structure. Where the files are located within the file structure is critical. The texture files themselves are in dds format, and can be modified using photoshop, paintshop pro, GIMP (it's free) , or some other graphics editor program. You will need to install the Nvidia dds plug (it's free) in to enable those programs to read and write to dds format. If you don't want to mess with the Nvidia plug in, you can use DDS Converter 2 (it's free) to convert dds files to jpg, edit them using GIMP or one of the other graphics editors, and then convert back to dds.

After you make the changes to the dds files, you can use the file compression program to put the modified dds files back into graphics02.zip

There is another way to bring the modified files into the game, but I won't go into that because I don't remember, and don't currently have Sacred 2 loaded.

Check out this thread. http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9357

There is at least one other topic here on making changes to characters.

Best regards,

fleet

Edited by fleet

Thanks.

Since the original post I tinkered a bit in the pak dir, and after reading some other posts it seemed to me that the dds files are the textures/materials that are used for the items (It also helped when it dawned in me that the map dir's in some of the archives probably refer to UV maps :)). I downloaded both DDS converter 2 and the DDS plug-in for gimp, to be able to view the DDS files (the gimp plug-in was the worked the best for me).

Because I only wanted to exchange the current texture with one of the alternatives, by changing the name of the alternatives to that of the original.

It was great to see that I was on the right track though.

Thanks for the advice :)

Here are some screenshots of the resulting armour colour

sera_dark_armour2.jpg

sera_dark_armour.jpg

And for those of you who want to the mod can be downloaded Here (dark.zip)

Note that this mod only changes the colour of the Niokaste's blade dance armour set.

Instructions are included in the archive.

• 5 months later...
[...]

Note that this mod only changes the colour of the Niokaste's blade dance armour set.

Hi everyone,

Did someone try this Sankekur's mod ?

That's exactly what I was looking for : the Niokaste's blade dance armor with red & dark colors, instead of the original blue one. But the link is broken now.

So, if it could be shared again by anyone or by Sankekur himself, it would be great. :P Or maybe an explanation "how to do" this texture change

Thanks in advance for your possible returns.

Regards.

[...]

Hi everyone,

Did someone try this Sankekur's mod ?

That's exactly what I was looking for : the Niokaste's blade dance armor with red & dark colors, instead of the original blue one. But the link is broken now.

So, if it could be shared again by anyone or by Sankekur himself, it would be great. :P Or maybe an explanation "how to do" this texture change

Thanks in advance for your possible returns.

Regards.

Thanks for for letting me know.

Download: Here

Regards ;)

Thanks for for letting me know.

Download: Here

Regards :)

Hi,

Thx a lot for your quick answer, Sankekur. :o

The new link works, and it is exactly what I needed. Your mod helped me understand some things, and I was able to find and repair a small mistake.

Well, I don't know if it's really an error, as I play with Fallen Angel v2.43 and your mod is for the extension Ice & Blood v2.65.

It's about the (Niokaste) wings, which are not black and red, but still blue. Maybe it was voluntary, but if it is not, here is how to rectify : ;)

- For the wings, there are two files : "c_sera-angeldust-wings_d.dds" and "c_sera-angeldust-wings_sg.dds".

- The "c_sera-angeldust-wings_d.dds" file must be changed in "c_sera-angeldust-wings_dx.dds", whatsoever in the "mq" or "lq" folder. Because in the original game, it's not a _d.dds file for the wings, but a _dx.dds. ;)

Thx a lot again for this mod (and all your others), Sankekur. And a pleasure to have possibly been able to help.

Regards. :)

Well, I don't know if it's really an error,
It's about the (Niokaste) wings, which are not black and red, but still blue. Maybe it was voluntary, but if it is not, here is how to rectify

Yeah, this was an error on my part, seeing as this was one of my first mods (or possible the first), it didn't bother me to much. I also later changed the wings to that of one of the other seraphim sets as I don't like the look of the niokastes wings, and after that I started using a no-wings mod, which by the way I think looks the best, this is of course my opinion :D.

- For the wings, there are two files : "c_sera-angeldust-wings_d.dds" and "c_sera-angeldust-wings_sg.dds".

- The "c_sera-angeldust-wings_d.dds" file must be changed in "c_sera-angeldust-wings_dx.dds", whatsoever in the "mq" or "lq" folder. Because in the original game, it's not a _d.dds file for the wings, but a _dx.dds.

Thanks for this info, I overlooked the fact that it used a _dx rather than _do or _d.

Regards ;)

• 3 months later...

Awesome mod, I like a lot better than the default except the wings haven't changed. I was wondering if this could be done with Revelation of the Seraphim set turning it into black and red as well?, I would give it a try but I have no idea where the .dds are :P