PSU Fan stopped... Crap!

Schot

@ Schot: that's one of the first things you should always test... Heheh....

@ locolagarto: yeah that one sucks. I've always been very very careful around the CPU area of my PC. I only had it out of my box 3 times, but hey, being careful saves you a lot of trouble. My only oops! crap! moment was the following:

I was playing around with the fans in my pc, to see how I could improve airflow and whether components were better cooled with an extra fan in the vicinity. I was happily moving a fan around and checking the temps, but the stoopid thing about it was that I did this with a running pc. Aside from being careless I got cocky, and at one point accidentally yanked the fan out of the power supply, and it shut down my system. Had to boot twice to get it running properly again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, hilarious :)

It seems that the Shadow Warrior is sleeping on the picture, genious :D

I hadn't noticed the eyes looking like they're closed. Nice catch Spunky. I touched the Shadow Warrior up to make his eyes look even more like they're closed. I could have added pupils to make it look like his eyes are open but that just seemed wrong to me.

Thats awesome!

Thanx! :D

I don't believe it!

Guess what started making a noise today...........yep, my PSU fan. :blink:

I will be ripping the psu apart tomorrow and then off to the pc shop for a new fan.

Got any advice schot? ;)

Oh not you too stubbs. Dang, must be contagious. ^^ The biggest problem I ran into when I replaced my 120mm fan was that my PSU has a 2-pin socket for the fan which doesn't seem to be very common around here. I had to buy a 3-pin Header Type 120mm fan. Instead of plugging the fan into the PSU's 2-pin socket I used a 3-pin to Molex adapter that my fan came with to plug it. To do this I ran the fans wire through the back hole of my PSU along with the rest of it's wires. Basically I had to power the fan from outside of the PSU's casing which the tech at my pc shop suggested I do. PSU's, if I understand correctly, have a built in feature that dtermines how fast the fan needs to spin based on the PSU's temperature so the fan I chose has it's own temperature gauging speed control.

I bought the Antec 120mm Smartcool fan and it's VERY quiet. :)

A 3-pin to Molex adapter

2ugp9ux.jpg

I hope everything goes much smoother than my lil ordeal went. ^^ Oh, one last thing. After removing my PSU a few times I discovered that I could have easiliy replaced the fan without having to actually take it out of my case. you can leave everything plugged in. Just remove the screws holding the PSU to the back of your case and then just manuevre it around so that you can get at the screws holding you PSU together and the screws that hold the fan in place. Lay your pc on it's side if need be. Then just remove and replace your fan and re-attach. :)

Oh oh. And another thing! Bring your fan with you where ever you go to shop. One last detail that could catch you off guard is a fan with a different depth or placement of screw holes. So bring your old fan and use it to size up the new one.

nqs6dt.jpg

wow...now that's Fan Art

Does it come in different classes?

:)

gogo

Hehe, I was actually of thinking of doing that. Even checked out a few portraits from the other classes. ^^

Oh man. I gotta watch what I say around Schot. Or things like this happen lol

Yer such an inspiration Knuckles. I don't know what it was but as soon as you said those words the idea instantly popped into my head. I went over to gogo and was like, "Hey gogo. What's a credit that's got an "ex" sound in it?" He thought I had gone crazy. :D

@loco:

Ah to be a humble man. It's the humbling that comes before the honour isn't it. ^^ Your story made me feel not so alone. Thanx loco. ^^ Granted I left out a detail to my "whoops". Intentionally... The plug I neglected to connect was the JPRW2 socket on my mainboard. That socket powers the, *squirms*, CPU, eh heh. The whole reason I was getting the "CPU damaged" error was because I hadn't plugged in power to the socket that provides power to my CPU. What's worse is that when the tech pointed it out and asked if something should be plugged there I responded, "I don't tink tho. I don't have a plug that fits that socket on my PSU. drrrr.... duuuuhh..." He then proceeded to de-man me by plugging in a 4-pin plug into the CPU's 8-pin socket, spinning up my pc, explaining to me that sometimes PSU's come with 4-pin CPU plugs and that they can work with 8-pin CPU sockets and then patted me on tha head. So now you see why I insisted on paying. I had to at least try to buy some of my manity back, lol. All in all the the plug I missed should have been screamingly obvious to me but the fact is that I'm still getting the hang of pc inards. This is one lesson I won't forget. ^^

Great story loco and interesting that it was about the CPU pins. A single pin of mine was out of alignment and boy are those hard to move. They're soooo tiny. I think I would have run out of the house screaming if your "whoops" had happened to me, lol. I've learned that those pins really aren't something anyone wants to mess with. To see them for the first time they don't look like much trouble at all but bend just one and I gather most anyone would be stuck for hours working on it with tweezers in hand. Not fun! A shame you had to spend for a new mainboard.

I wonder... Do we all consign to some sort of quiet realization that working on our pc's ourselves will one day wreak havoc? Ah well. It's a price we pay I guess for the experience we gain and money we save. A price worth paying I think.

@ Timo: And now I know! :D

Thanks for the expert advice on psu fan replacements schot. :D

Thou shalt be henceforth known as Schot the Fanny man. :)

Apart from finally finding a retailer with the correct fan, the replacement went fine.

I took the original fan as you suggested because I wanted the fans amperage rating to be the same but the technician assured me that the PSU probably relied on voltage regulation to control the speed.

So I bought what he suggested. This one has a lower amp rating but that should only mean it runs a bit faster at lower temps...which is no prob. :D

I had to cut the 2 pin connector from the original fan and solder it to the new one but that was all.

Everything fitted fine and my pc is nice and clicky noise free.

So another happy chappy gets to join this thread :blink: