Getting a second cat for first cat's company

It's something I've been thinking about. We have a female named Star. I used to hate cats forever till this cat sort of won my heart over. I'd read a long time ago somewhere, that if you have one cat you should always have a second because it doesn't cost almost anything much more, and the company it gives your cat is great. Thing is, I've heard some stories about an old female cat getting along with a new cat. I was wondering if anyone here has more than one cat, how does it workout, and did you get the cats at differing times... did they always get along, are we looking at cat fights here?

The female is about 14 years old, and quite set in her way...but we just went to the SPCA and there are SO many cats all locked up there and just pining to be taken away to good homes. In a strange way I almost feel like I am obligated to do something about this and bring one home because I do like animals and there is more than enough space here.

I'm worried about the well-being and mental space of our cat here at home though and am unsure of what to do.

Halp

:unsure:

gogo

A lot depends on if the existing cat has been with other cats for any amount of time during it's life. If it's been the only pet since it was a kitten, then it might have problems sharing with another cat. We've typically had at least one cat and one dog in our house all the time. and never had any issues beyond the first day or so once they got used to each other. Best thing to do is introduce the new cat gradually. I would put it in a separate room and confine it there for a couple days.

Once in the room, let it explore for a few hours by itself and bring the pet carrier out and close the door. Leave the carrier in a spot where the other existing cat can check it out. If it starts hissing, peeing on stuff etc, then it might take a while for the existing cat to acclimate to the new one. If it doesn't display any signs of aggression or territorialism then you're probably o.k. to let them meet after a day or so.

Mostly just let them get used to the smell of each other. You could even feed them by placing a dish on each side of a closed door. This way they associate the new smell with something pleasant (eating !)

We have an older cat, had her for a few years now. I brought a female kitten home from work (had been abandoned on a co-workers property), and at first Sammy (older one) did not like the situation one bit. But we just left them to it. They fought, but we kept an eye out and it never really seemed like Sammy was REALLY trying to harm the kitten, just show who's boss. Now they are thick as theives.

Edited by AgentSmith5150

GoGo:

It depends a lot on the cats. Some cats are very territorial, others not so much. I have heard that orange cats are very territorial, but I have no idea if this is true. We got our cats together. They were littermates, so they have always gotten along well. My sister had a single cat (male) and recently got a pair of kittens (female), which were littermates. She kept the kittens in the bathroom/walk-in closet (quite large) for a couple of months and slowly introduced them to the older cat. Over the last couple of months they have learned to tolerate each other and even play a bit. As noted above, best to confine new cat(s) to a small area and slowly introduce them. You may consider getting a pair of kittens who are littermates. Not to seem morbid, but a 14-year-old cat is pretty old.

Best of luck!

- Ike

p.s. If you get kittens, you *must* post pics. They are adorable!

Heya,

saw this same situation with someone from work.

Two older cats (f) and a ýounger one (m). They do fight a bit, but mostly chasing each other around, showing who is boss I guess. When you do get a new cat, you will just have to keep a close eye on them for a while. They might get along fine :closedeyes:

Greetz

• 2 weeks later...

In the beginning there can be some fighting between the cats. The old one is used to be alone and have a territory of her own. The new one is first be seen as an intruder.

I have myself 3 cats here, all old and grumpy now. But first it started with 2 cats (from the same nest) and then about a couple of months later a third one was added.

Well, the third wasn't accepted in the beginning. There were some fights in the beginning and I also took the cat to my room once. Now they all got fine along each other, although the 2 females still hate each other. And that doesn't get away. (there are 2 females and one male here)

We always had/have 2 cats, I know that at one time one of our cats just left when we brought a new kitten home! We did the new kitten back to its previous owner and in a couple days the other cat was back...

Now we have two cats, of wich one who raised the other (both females), they eventually fight, but there are also times that they are speeling sleeping together...

Two females should work I think, just keep the new one inside for a couple weeks (if they ever go outside of the house that is) so it knows where it lives.

Edited by Arperum

older cats wont generally harm kittens especially females. They understand they are young and need training *lol* ... they may hit the kitten but it will be clawless hits.

We got a cat when Todd and I got married. then 9 months later got a 2nd one to keep the first one company. Kept them segregated for a while and they got along great for 11 years and way too many pcs moves (knuckles will know what that is). our first cat eventually passed (she had alot of health issues all along but reached the age of 12 whcih is old for a cat) and we gave the first one about a month or so to adjust to the first one being gone and got a kitten. again kept them segregated for a while and then let them be. The elder one got more exercise and "trained" the younger one to respect the established pecking order. (ie the elder one is alpha kitty) and they got along fairly well except when the younger one tried to stage a coup *lol* then they had a few spats but nothing serious (ie no blood or major wounds).

My advise is either a kitten (trainable to live with other cats) or an older cat that has lived (and been cooperative) with other cats before. Make sure you give the older one lots of attention (special food/treats and quality cuddle time) while it gets used the other cat and its smell being there. They should do fine The shelter should know how among thier older cats has lived with other cats and got along with other cats and can help you pick on that will get along with your other cat. And they will keep each other company.

My poor old Star. As it turns out I was talking with my sister and came to the realization that Star is actually 16. She's gettin up there! You certainly wouldn't think so to see her but then that's pretty much how cats are. Lively to nearly the very end. My family has always had several cats in the house as I was growing up and I'm accustomed to seeing cats age to around 19 I'd say. Star has had an "interesting" life to say the least and if she could speak she'd have plenty of stories to tell. ^^ If she had a most memorable time of her life it would have to be "The Loft Days"... That was I was living with about 6 or 7 others in this HUGE loft in downtown Montreal. An old paper factory now closed and with only a few floors in residential use. I used to ride my mountain bike around in it. Our kitchen was about 20 feet square, haha. It was great. But then Smog arrived... A fat, orange streaked bitter old lady of a cat with talons and and an unending desire to torment other female cats. This cat was baaaaad and she belonged to one of my new room mates so there was no getting rid of her. Poor Star was a very petite cat and Smog was just too evil. Smog wouldn't just attack if Star came near. Smog would seek Star out. My poor girl never did get a chance to relax the whole time I loved there. Later in time and in a new safer home with me she had spent a short time with a kitten. Star was pretty rough on that kitten, heh. Didn't harm the kitten but would not stop growling and hissing. I think her impression of other cats is kinda on the low end, lol.

It's a tough decision for Star. She's had a very very bad experience with other cats. (Oh did I mention that during the loft days there was also a young male cat there that kept trying to hump poor Star. Sheesh! What's a girl to do huh? ^^) Choosing the right second cat will no doubt be a tough decision. I'm leaning towards male kitten. In my experience male cats have been much more relaxed than female cats and I tend to think territorial instincts will be less intense with opposite sex cats. Especially when a female is involved. Two males I can see working a lot better than two females for some reason... Is that wrong? haha.

Thanx for all your experiences gang. It helps to have a different perspective/experience. :agreed:

My poor girl never did get a chance to relax the whole time I loved there

Let's keep it PG here o.k.? :)

Couldn't resist, plus I owe you a couple :D

rofl :agreed: Ok, I'll take that one on the chin please. Really gotta start proof reading my posts, hahaha.

I work in a vet clinic and I have cats as well so I will try to help.cats are like people they have lots of different personillites.

this is what I have done when getting a cat/adding a cat to the family.get a seperate food/water dish and another cat box put that stuff in another room and when you bring the new kitty home put the kitty in that room away from the other cat.

reason for this is so the cats can get to know each other by smell and sound,cats can be very territorral at times.this can last anywhere from a week-end to a month or more it all depends on the personilites pf the cats.make sure you give the oringal cat lots of extra love and the situtation will work it self out.

great idea on giving your cat a buddy,it really does help them to have a buddy,Ive meet very few cats that can be one cat households. :D

I luv busting on Schot....When he makes it easy for me I'm even happier lol

Yeah yeah yeah. Enjoy tha freebie there knuckles, lol. :D

I work in a vet clinic and I have cats as well so I will try to help.cats are like people they have lots of different personillites.

this is what I have done when getting a cat/adding a cat to the family.get a seperate food/water dish and another cat box put that stuff in another room and when you bring the new kitty home put the kitty in that room away from the other cat.

reason for this is so the cats can get to know each other by smell and sound,cats can be very territorral at times.this can last anywhere from a week-end to a month or more it all depends on the personilites pf the cats.make sure you give the oringal cat lots of extra love and the situtation will work it self out.

great idea on giving your cat a buddy,it really does help them to have a buddy,Ive meet very few cats that can be one cat households. :D

Thanx so much for the advise sohma! I guess Star will be getting extra extra attention. Geez... She already gets so much.