Voodoo Dryad (black magic woman)

Wow Ty gogo.

That's awesome I always say it I do it for the fans. Get strong figure it out and help others along the way that's why I enjoy games like these. I appreciate what you've done.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing great with this build although one problem I'm not sure on, when I try and level in the swamp I get those damn magic monster cast a spell on me which freezes me to the spot for like 5-10 seconds.

Is there any way to avoid that because it's making it damn near impossible for me to use this in the swamp right now.

Doing great with this build although one problem I'm not sure on, when I try and level in the swamp I get those damn magic monster cast a spell on me which freezes me to the spot for like 5-10 seconds.

Is there any way to avoid that because it's making it damn near impossible for me to use this in the swamp right now.

Hello, Bariel!

You're getting "rooted" by the Olms and the spiders. There is a few things you can try, but nothing that I know works 100%.

Block Chance:

Block Chance: Combat Arts and

Block Chance: Root

will help avoid the root effect

Reflecting Combat Arts will stop the CA that is rooting you from hitting you.

Forest Flight.png Forest Flight (the Dryad combat art) has 2 modifiers that helps break rooting effects.

Detrimental Magic Effects will reduce the amount of time you are rooted.

Overall the best solution to this problem is not to try to VD in the Swamp! Since the undead there are not effected by VD anyways, I never liked the Swamp for this character at all.

Good luck!

Edited by essjayehm

Unforunately theres no way to get passsed that its why some skip leveling in the swamp all to gether faster experience but but getting bound sux.

Lets just call those bound moments oppurtunity. What I would do in you shoes is use this oppurtunity to recast acute mind/GGT/ or even VD itself on the straglers coming to swing at you. this will increase its potency and thus making those experience floods come thru. If you read up I mentioned that while sitting still I always semmed to start getting the floods. Its like being chased by a Tornado I guess. Sorry but get use to it level mostyly in the south easy quadrent of the swamp and you will be in heavan. After awhile nothing will be there to bind you all you will be doing is runningg around picking up runes and eqipment and seeing the occasional strangler pop right before you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice guide and thread karruptedkat :eek:

I've been trying this build out, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it quite right, hopefully someone here can help :oooo:

So far I'm level 24 and have put all of my attribute points into Intelligence, and VD is at level 5.

My skills currently are:

Nature Weaver Lore: 20

Concentration: 1

Cabalistic Voodoo Focus: 16

Sheild Lore: 5

Nature Weaver Focus: 19

Armor Lore: 1

Now I am still fairly low level, so I'm not sure if it's just that or if I'm doing it wrong, but the effect of VD keeps wearing off on large groups of enemies all at once. For example, on a few occasions I have had a group of 20+ kobolds right behind me, only to see them all simultaneously lose the effect of VD and go back to normal.

Is that normal ?

I have the barbarian head equipped and I re-cast VD a lot as I move forward, so I was surprised to see it wear off like that.

One thing I dont have currently is any + spell intensity, so I don't know if that would be affecting it.

Any advice would be welcome, I want to level this character up quickly so I can shop some nice rings for my Inquisitor :whip:

Welcome to Dark Matters, Chris!

One thought I had was that most times you get close to a town (close enough so the town name appears at the top of the screen), that will kill the VD immediately as you are describing.

I play exclusively offline, and there is a *slight* nerf on the VD "exploit" we use on the consoles when you go on-line... I have no experience there so maybe that is the issue. KarruptedKat will have the answer! He dabbled a little in the online/offline worlds a little.

Thanks ess :whistle:

I made sure not to go near any towns after reading about that in the thread, so I don't think it's that.

I'm putting it down to it having been nerfed somewhere along the line, because I can't think of a reason that it would simultaneously drop off of every enemy in the area otherwise. The way I'm getting it to work now is to get as much +spell intensity (40% now) and +poison damage (90+%) as I can find to try and ensure that enemies die quickly, which still doesn't always happen (I'm currently level 44 and if I go to say, the white griffon area, I'll still get times when groups of kobolds chasing me don't look to be taking any damage while VD is clearly active on them).

If I remember correctly I currently have VD at level 14, I had to eat some extra runes to try and bump up the damage it was doing.

Even with these issues I am still levelling faster than I would be able to otherwise, so the build is still proving to be fairly successful for me :4rofl:

Edited by Chris84

I just came across this build, never really thought about a Dryad before. I have a level 152 seraphim, but gridning that high is getting boring and I needed a bargin character to get to level 200. This looks perfect. I was thinking of subsituting Speed Lore for Tactics so I can unlock dual wield. So I am designing my build to look like this at 200

Nature Lore 75

Concentration 1

Voodoo Focus 135

Nature Focus 135

Enhanced Perc 150

Bargin 200

armor lore 100

Speed Lore ? enough to get movement speed to 150% at max

Combat Reflexes 39 + left over pts from Speed lore or should I go Shield to mastery 75

dual wield 1

I will be using RpH to offset higher regen times from pumping runes into Anicent Bark and AM. Do you think Speed would be a better choice or would I be too fast for VD to spread?

• 3 weeks later...

I only use the Voodoo build for shopping purposes and not for fighting at all. I've taken my build to 2nd place on the leader board and stopped playing it.

I will tell you it is possible to be level 100 with this build after about 9-10 hours. I've done it and I have pictures to prove it somewhere.

I currently have a level 181 VD Dryad after 34 hours (went into Platinum at level 40 using my second Playstation account). My XP/kill is at about 326% at the moment. I don't even bother using + all skills rings until I want to start shopping.

My original character on Scared was the Dryad so I had many set pieces at vary levels that I was able to use as my character levels fast. I usually save glitch into the higher levels and run the desert and the swamp. However I have a second Playstation account with high level characters as well that I usually use to beat Platinum and crate games in Niob.

My post is essentially regarding dual wield vs a shield. I have taken dual wield with all my VD Dryads and I believe that if you are truly going to take the character to a high level you should just use the shield of mirrors. Not taking dual wield will free up an additional slot which I would recommend taking alchemy to boost the length of your mentor potions. The longer your mentor potions last the fewer floods you will miss. You don't actually need any bonus from the shield at all if you build it correctly.

Amen brother! Nough Said. So we hit the 20's^^.

I will check the thread now and again but for now my sacred playing days are over. Wife and I are playing xiii final fantasy so it takes up the ps3 time. Cant wait till xiv drops. Take care all.

Edited by karruptedkat
  • 3 weeks later...
I currently have a level 181 VD Dryad after 34 hours (went into Platinum at level 40 using my second Playstation account). My XP/kill is at about 326% at the moment. I don't even bother using + all skills rings until I want to start shopping.

Just an update for anyone who still follows this thread. I hit level 200 in 61 hours with no deaths with around 340,000 kills.

Just an update for anyone who still follows this thread. I hit level 200 in 61 hours with no deaths with around 340,000 kills.

Woot! Good job, Morbus79! I had wondered about the very-high levels, and how long it takes to VD them. I just wanted to confirm these posts are from the same toon, ie

1-181 takes 34 hours

181-200 takes 27 hours.

Yep, they were the same toon. I was up to around 344% per kill at level 200. If you can't get that high it would take considerably longer. I used somewhere on the order of 700 mentor potions as well. I got to level 100 in less than 10 hours. However, I've got a lot of dryad gear from previous toons so I didn't have to shop a lot and I already had a level 200 shopper to buy experience rings. I may try to go after the top spot on the leader board. I made it to 2nd place again under the name Harvester79.

Edited by Morbus79
Does spell intensity raise how fast it spreads or how much damage it does?

I've never bothered with spell intensity. I always choose the gangrene option after trying relapse and being very frustrated. I tend to get it going using a tinwora's curse then switch to my experience weapons. This causes the damage to be increased due to the plus all combat arts from the weapon. It isn't really necessary, you can use any weapons.

Does spell intensity raise how fast it spreads or how much damage it does?

Spell Intensity affects the damage... in a roundabout way. Whenever "spelldamage" affects an enemy, there is a Spell Resistance(of the target) vs. Spell Intensity(of the caster) check to determine how much damage the spell will do.

Then things like damage mitigation and armour can reduce the amount of damage that is actually done to the target.

I had a bunch of spell intensity rings on..took em all off and the disease still worked at the same rate....so not really seeing the diff. maybe it just helps early on..got like 23 runes into at level 43.

As I said before you don't need spell intensity for disease. I only have 1 rune memorized for it at level 200 and it works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

tried this out tonight, not sure if I am doing it right becuase alot of time vd is falling off mobs and they just ran back to where they came from. I play on xbox 360 anyone not find much sucess with this? setting up build exactally how you origianlly ran it w/ sword and board

Hey Dawg, The 3 most important things to remember in doing this is:

1) Do it in the desert because there's a higher concentration of same types of enemies....which is important because.....

2) You have to have the right type of Shrunken Head for whatever type of enemy your fighting, in the case of the Desert....Insect!

3) And lastly you have to make sure you have the right Combat Art Mods which are, Relapse, Transmission, and Contaminate....

Which means you really can't do this 'til you're like level 10 because you can't get all 3 mods for that Combat Art until your level 9!

thx guru. I went back and retried the above. I died accedently going out for a smoke so I scrapped to character and rebuilt it. went to level 16 in 1 hour and a half or so. working better now. I think the issue was with how I was kiting. I wasnt just running through everywhere spreaing that crap. now I get the experience rushes, it seems to take 20 mins or so to get the big burst of laggy screen xp text. anything to speed up the damage without eating runes? this is my highest level char as I only have 2-3 hours to play a night out here, and I dont really want to eat another rune at such a low level.

I havent ever played through sacred two, only sacred and underworld, so where in relation to the map is the best place in the desert? or the castle that is mentioned previously in this thread on pg 1? xp starts slowing at 20-21 here fighting kobalds up near where the white griffon thingy is.

I also modified the build to be duel wield instead of shields. I like the appearance and I thinking of extra slots. and when I hit 200 want to be able to melee a bit if desired. fun buildnow that I get it. gotta try the desert now. any tips on how to get there where to go?

also any advice on what levels to go where/ when to run through to the next difficulty?

ty in advance

Edited by usmcdawg
I also modified the build to be duel wield instead of shields. I like the appearance and I thinking of extra slots. and when I hit 200 want to be able to melee a bit if desired. fun buildnow that I get it. gotta try the desert now. any tips on how to get there where to go?

also any advice on what levels to go where/ when to run through to the next difficulty?

You can get to the desert by starting a Free World game and using the teleporters on the start island. I always start in the Northwest corner of the desert at the teleporter in Badawi, then essentially make a big loop around the large city, Khorum. You'll run into other small cities along the way and eventually you will figure out a circuit that works for you.

If you haven't found Sacred Wiki yet take a look at the map here Sacred Wiki. This will show you where all the teleporters will take you. You want teleporter 7 for the desert.

I also think gangrene is the better option in comparison to relapse. I have had much better luck getting floods of experience with this mod.

As far as when to go to the next level, it is hard to beat the bosses with these characters. It can be done but I don't set my voodoo toons up for beating each difficulty. You should be able to save glitch your characters into the higher difficulties as you get to higher levels. You'll need to look for online games in gold/platinum/niobium in order to do that.

Good Luck.

Edited by Morbus79
now I get the experience rushes, it seems to take 20 mins or so to get the big burst of laggy screen xp text. anything to speed up the damage without eating runes?

Hey Dawg, to answer your first question, Combat Art Damage on VD is a tough concept to understand....For one, the damage on it doesn't raise with Combat Art Lore Skills. Secondly, the only real way to raise the Damage is though Intel. a little bit but that helps with Spell Intensity more on this CA....So really, your only real answer would be try and reduce your Regen times with Stamina and Cabalistic Voodoo Focus then raise your Combat Art Level either through runes or +All Combat Arts Items!

I havent ever played through sacred two, only sacred and underworld, so where in relation to the map is the best place in the desert?

Second Question, there really is no good or bad place in the Desert as long as you keep casting and running!

gotta try the desert now. any tips on how to get there where to go?

Third, to get to the desert you have to run east out of Thylysium and then follow that road 'til you hit Teardrop Hamlet and then head through town southbound until you come across T-Energy fields then head south from the Energy fields and you should hit the Desert!

Lastly, for difficulties or Campaign Ranks (Silver, Gold, Plat.) you should try and get to gold around level 80, plat. around level 120 and niob around level 150!