DirectX error Sacred Gold

I've purchased a while ago the Ascaron Collections volume 2, which contains darkstar one, port royale 2 and Sacred Gold.

I decided today to install Sacred Gold. Then I runned the 2.28 patch for sacred underworld/gold.

I then just hit the play button, game starts up, screen goes black and I hear a "poing" sound. The screen stays black. With ctrl+alt+del I return to the desktop and see a popup has showed up.

This is the popup: sacredgolderror.jpg

I also looked into Debug.txt, which appears in the game folder. At the end of the list I see two times failed.

Here's the last part of Debug.txt:

dxDriver7::dxDriver7()

dxDriver7::init() fullscreen

dxDriver7::init() setWindowLong/Pos

dxDriver7::init() createDirectDraw()

dxDriver7::init() createDirectDraw: OK!

dxDriver7::init() QueryInterface(D3D7): OK!

dxDriver7::init() siye: 1024x768

dxDriver7::main surface format: 1024x768x32

dxDriver7::init() createZBuffer: failed!

dxDriver7::setDirectDrawMode_id() Initialization OK

WindowProc_engine(0, 4076) WM_ACTIVATEAPP

- restoreDisplayMode

WindowProc_engine(0, 4076) WM_ACTIVATEAPP

- restoreDisplayMode

WindowProc_engine(0, 800) WM_ACTIVATEAPP

- restoreDisplayMode

WinMain() initialization failed!

shutdown ime subsystem

Sacred Terminated

I have installed the wm codecs and use DirectX 9.0c. I've updated it to the version of November 2009.

It has something to do with directx it seems, but I can't recall where the fault exactly is.

Does someone have an idea?

Heya Candesco. Is this a Steam version of Sacred that you're trying to playing?

P.s.

If so try turning off videos and anything else that you don't need from the configuration. There should be a config file you can run to make changes in your steam-->sacred folder called Config.exe.

No, a dvd version.

As said, it's part of a bundle called Ascaron Collections vol. 2.

Ascaron Collections Vol. 2 contains Sacred gold, Darkstar One and Port Royale 2.

It is updated to work with xp and vista. The box contains 2 dvd's; one with darkstar, the other with sacred gold and port royale 2.

Here's an example: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Ascar...Vol-2/~r335115/

In the settings full screen, play movies, create program log file and sound activated are activated, the rest of the boxes are empty.

Edited by candesco

Well I think it's time then to take a look under the hood. ^^ Can you make a dxdiag and upload it to mediafire?

Oh and turn off movies and create program log file. Then try playing and see what happens.

P.s.

What is this theme? I don't recognize the skin.

sacredgolderror.jpg

You want to know the specs. Ok, here they are:

Case: Chieftec MX-01WD-D silver

Motherboard: ASUS P4B533-E

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz 533 Mhz FSB northwood with Zalman CNPS7700Cu cooler

Memory: 2x Corsair Valueselect VS1GB400C3 DDRAM. 2GB total.

Harddisk: Western Digital caviar WD800JB 80 GB 7200 rpm

Western Digital caviar WD800BB 80 GB 7200 rpm

Videocard: ASUS AH3650 Silent 512MB (radeon HD3650)

Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Audigy retail

Networkcard: E-Tech WLPI03 wireless pci , 802.11b

Realtek RTL8139

Intel Pro 100/VE (onboard chip)

FDD: standard 3,5" 1,44 MB floppydisk drive

DVD-ROM: LG DRD8160B

DVD-RW: NEC ND3540A

Monitor: LG W2261V 22" widescreen TFT.

Mouse: Logitech MX518 with Qpad CT medium black mousepad

keyboard: Logitech G15 v1 (the one with the blue leds)

Speakers: Logitech Z-540 4.1 speakerset

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP3 NL 32 bit

Extra devices:

Western Digital WD2500BNE 250GB harddisk USB (external harddisk)

Canon Pixma IP5000 bubblejetprinter

Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5400C scanner

Philips SPC530NC webcam

Labtec microphone

Logitech Cordless rumblepad

Info about the harddisk and the free space:

I have 2 80Gb harddisks from western digital. One is set as master, other is slave.

I made on the master HDD 3 partitions. One is for windows, one for programs and the other for games. the slave has no partitions.

The partition for games is 44 GB. 26 GB is used, so it has now 18 GB of free space. The windows partition has 9,82 GB of free space available.

The second harddisk is used as backup. Here I store all my important things on. This harddisk was in the past first the only one and cut into 4 partitions.

Now it served as backup disk.

Info about drivers and firmware

I use an alternative firmware for the dvd-rw. for that I use Dee's 1W8 modified firmware (from liggy & dee)

The version of the Catalyst driver I use is 9.11 with the agp hotfix.

For the audigy soundcard I use the 2.09.0016 drivers.

The drivers for the G15, the lcd software, is update to version 3.01

For the MX518 mouse I use setpoint version 4.00.121

additional software:

I use DirectX 9.0c and it is updated to August 2009. I used the webupdate.

I have installed .NET framework 2.0 and 3.0, both updated with the latest servicepacks.

Also installed is the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable. And I use the K-lite codecpack, version 4.16f

Python 2.5 with wPython 2.8 is also installed.

The operation system is updated with the latest patches, also those which came out after servicepack 3. I use a dutch version of XP.

I have Avira Antivir personal edition as virusscanner, version 9.0.0.418. Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 is the firewall.

Other software I use are: Winamp 5.56, last.fm player, Adobe CS3 design premium, MS Office 2007, Xfire 1.119, CCleaner 2.27.1070, Defraggler 1.16.165, Dc++ 0607,

Mozilla Firefox 3.7, Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.23, XP-Antispy 3.96.8, WinRAR 3.14, retrospect (shipped with the external HDD), Fortemanager (software for the monitor)

and some canon software for the printer and my camera (powershot A610)

Other games installed:

These are the games which are also installed.

- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GotY (with alot of mods installed, like better bodies, morrowind code patch, unofficial morrowind patch 1.63b, clothiers of vvardenfell and so on)

- Sacred 2 Fallen Angel (with Ice & Blood expansion and patched to 1.65.1)

- Fable The Lost Chapters

I plan to reïnstall Risen and Drakensang.

I think the list is pretty complete now.

But for the record and as asked, here is the directX diagnostics

http://www.mediafire.com/?jqwyzlhn1zt

The theme I use is called VistaXP. I grabbed it from Neowin

Edited by candesco
In the settings full screen, play movies, create program log file and sound activated are activated, the rest of the boxes are empty.

Well I think it's time then to take a look under the hood. ^^ Can you make a dxdiag and upload it to mediafire?

Oh and turn off movies and create program log file. Then try playing and see what happens.

Awesome info on your pc Candesco. Did you try running the game with full screen, movies, log files and sound turned off? That would be a good test. I'll have a look at that dxdiag of yours.

Not yet, have to test that.

Normally I can most of the times fix problems myself, but sometimes I don't see it.

I know pretty much of my own pc and in general :)

Edited by candesco

Well, I have done as said. Turned everything off and then hit the play button again. The only change is now that the error appears faster.

In the meantime I also did some other things, after reading some threads at some other places about the same error. Some mention about Sacred is not been able to work with dualscreen.

That option is not relevant for me, as I work only with one monitor. I've updated the drivers for my soundcard. Also downloaded the redistributable of DirectX August 2009. The redistributable updated some files.

However, after updating both directX and the sound the result is still the same; still the initApp error. Every other game just work, like Morrowind GotY, Sacred 2, Fable TLC, Drakensang, Diablo II and so on, but Sacred Gold doesn't have the intention to work.